Computer viruses for synthetics

ElChucho

The same way an organic can be infected by a virus,a synthetics could get "infected" with a computer virus,in such way that they have to go to robotics to be diagnosed and treated.

This addition would make the roboticist job more entertaining, giving them the job to keep synthetic crew in an efficient status, even if nothing is happening.

-Why do i think this would be interesting

Robotics can be really boring in some rounds, some extra job could make the job a less monotone.

In the synthetics side,would make them "move" from their work and giving them a opportunity to socialize and RP in more ways than "beep,im damaged"

-Examples

some examples of viruses:

-uncontrollable beeping/buzzing/pinging: they lose the control over this emotes, something like the random screaming/drooling of some normal viruses.

-Faulty actuators: random movement in some random direction when walking,or when standing quiet, like when you get drunk.

-Voice synthesizer decalibration: they start slobbering, or lost the hability to speak any other language but Binary.

I had this idea in a sleepless night, feedback is really appreciated

This concept is really interesting to implement. It would have a great impact on the hyped-up-robustness of IPCs as well as the things you mentioned above. But what would be the source of those viruses ? I mean if virus can get into the IPC control unit that'd open a whole other dimension of possibility, unless the IPC lore master would figure how to expand on this.

I think this is a really neat idea. I don’t play robotics, so I can’t comment on how this addition would effect it. But I think it makes more sense to include resolving the viruses into the IT department (if it ever becomes a thing) seeing as viruses are a software issue. This also gives the department something to do besides repairing routers and switches (and whatever else is planned). I also think it’s a potential opportunity to use NT script, since it’s still in the code base. I think it would be neat to have an antag be able to just start speaking out of an IPC standing next to you. It could also be used to activate the virus effects mentioned earlier remotely at opportune times. I can also see the potential for some interesting gameplay based on this if the remote virus effects require a network connection, since I assume IT will have to maintain equipment for the network to operate.

I'm interested in part of this suggestion, specifically this -

-Faulty actuators: random movement in some random direction when walking,or when standing quiet, like when you get drunk.

Mechanical degradation after a long time running, or faulty body parts hindering movement in one way or another seems very possible especially in a working environment like the Aurora. Being slowed down, or having occasional messages telling you about faulty servos/hydraulics/joints/etc would add on to role play and help mechanically as well. For station-bounds, this seems a bit redundant considering a small amount of damage has a chance to affect a critical component anyway.

However, the rest of the idea is a tad silly. IPCs by nature aren't inherently wireless, nor are they traditional computers one could simply transmit a virus to. There is also a basis in mechanics for this already, as malfunctioning AIs can take over IPCs by hacking the APCs they use to recharge. Discussing it with Cake, we're pretty unanimous on that part. I think there's definitely merit in the mechanical degradation you mentioned, though - maybe working around that is best.

If we get computer viruses for IPCs, does that mean we'll see the addition of some "computer virology" framework to research and "cure" them? I heard that some sort of IT role is being considered - a function like this could go a long way towards beefing it up with content.

• Gem locked this topic