Remove Emagged Maintenance Drones

Drones should not be able to roll traitor, not only does it make little sense that they get it in the first place, but it creates an antag that cannot RP. Random shocking doors and being a general nuisance isn't constructive RP for anyone, nor does it add any roleplay to the round. They cannot talk, so it makes most times if they go loud seem like a gank because they cannot convey so without appearing to be malfunctioning in the first place. Emagging a drone is fine because then it is under the control of someone and is subject to the law limitations of it.

• 6 months later...

Drones should not be able to roll traitor, not only does it make little sense that they get it in the first place, but it creates an antag that cannot RP. Random shocking doors and being a general nuisance isn't constructive RP for anyone, nor does it add any roleplay to the round. They cannot talk, so it makes most times if they go loud seem like a gank because they cannot convey so without appearing to be malfunctioning in the first place. Emagging a drone is fine because then it is under the control of someone and is subject to the law limitations of it.

When a drone becomes a tator, it's laws are overridden, allowing it to speak to everyone. Then it can do what it wants. For example, if I was a tator drone, I would consider how dumb the drones are and likely do an objective that is simple and will bring a smile to people's faces. Like if I steal and wear the captain's hat then try to say I now own the station or something like that.

Of course I do not speak for everyone about this, but I am ok with traitor drones, as they are easy to kill, their battery will die quickly if they fight for too long, and it can only do so much.

When a drone becomes a tator, it's laws are overridden, allowing it to speak to everyone.

This is incorrect. While they would be allowed to according to their laws, they are still unable to- they cannot "speak" at all, they can only use the maintenance drone radio link.

While it's possible to simply change this, I am against it. I would rather they be fully removed from the possibility of traitor selection. Maintenance drones are a spectator role, not a player role. This should apply in all regards.

• 1 month later...

The combination of a high power plasma cutter, tiny sprite (which shots fly over), high speed, the ability to control doors, and all access makes emagged drones insanely powerful. Just the other round, I saw a single drone disable a full ERT team of 6 members single-handedly. The drone simply cut off all the legs of the ERT with the plasma cutter, which took surprisingly few shots, while constantly moving around and using the drone hatches in doors for cover. It also repeatedly stunned ERT members with the door close and electrification, who didn't even know that the drone was there.

In my opinion, having a pocket size maintenance drone be one of the most powerful weapons in the game is absolutely ridiculous. Quite frankly, I think this mechanic is overall rubbish and I have never seen it used in an interesting way. The second the drone gets emagged, it goes on a murder spree abusing game mechanics to be able to outplay even the most heavily armed opponents. It adds no RP either, as they cannot talk or interact with the crew in any way that isn't either inconvenience or raw slaughter.

Every round I've seen an emagged drone, the drone was ahelped for ruining a significant portion of the round. To be fair, I've only seen emagged drones a handful of times, but still.

Remove the plasma cutter at least. In my experience, having a non-suspect drone come around the corner and decapitate you in three shots with a plasma cutter, with zero interaction at all, killing you before you've even realised what's going on, is the standard Emagged Drone Experience.

+999999 tbh

So, I'm going to give a full +1 to removing the maint drone that can just kill an entire ERT team in seconds. Being part of that ERT team, people started shouting like a full armed merc team was taking out ERT, but when me and the other medic got their, we found most of ERT disabled and a few dead doctors in medical. So imange our surprise when we found out a maint drone did this. Then the drone stayed hidden and was able to shock doors till we were just disabled. The round was ruined as mostly all of ERT was killed by the drone, and ever door was shocked.

I've seen emagged drones get yeeted off the planet on numerous occasions. I think that if the drone is emagged, it should gain at least standard borg-level ability to recognise what's going on. That means it follows the same rules as borgs do (I've been warned for killing people as a cyborg wordlessly), and thus will at least have to give ERT/people a chance to react.

Removing the plasma cutter entirely seems like too much.

Were drone plasma cutters not nerfed like the rest? Because with a normal plasma cutter it's near impossible to cut any limbs off anymore.

It seems not, as virtually every single ERT member ended up with a missing leg due to the drone.

I've seen emagged drones get yeeted off the planet on numerous occasions. I think that if the drone is emagged, it should gain at least standard borg-level ability to recognise what's going on. That means it follows the same rules as borgs do (I've been warned for killing people as a cyborg wordlessly), and thus will at least have to give ERT/people a chance to react.

Hacked borgs don't get weapons able to slaughter entire ERT teams, or able to hide under doors, or are almost impossible to hit due to a tiny sprite. There is really no reason emagged maint drones should be in.

As a side note to this, Emagged drones get the same laws as an emagged borg, so it can talk. I feel that we should not prevent drones from being emagged, instead, we should have them have to follow proper escalation and other rules like any other emagged borg does.

As a side note to this, Emagged drones get the same laws as an emagged borg, so it can talk. I feel that we should not prevent drones from being emagged, instead, we should have them have to follow proper escalation and other rules like any other emagged borg does.

Except they're physically unable to talk because Drones automatically can only use Drone Talk and Drone Binary.

• 1 month later...
  • Gem locked this topic