Make Telescience dangerous

LordBalkara

I'm going to repeat my suggestion once more.

Bluespace disruptors in sensitive rooms such as the AI core, Vault and Captains Office.

All of which can be overpowered with upgrades from science.

There you'll have the majority of telescience shenanigans fixed.

The thing is WHAT shenanigans?

In all my time I have not seen or heard of a single time where telescience literally "Ruined a round". The one time I saw it used effectively, it was to save 4 scientists from where they just teleported themselves to the first safe location they found.

Quite honestly I don't get why the playerbase is trying to limit itself in the amount of possibilities that allow you to approach a single interaction, all you're doing is streamlining the game to the point where the only viable solution to problems is going to be "Me hit stick against antag".

Telescience offers a wide margin of options and possibilities and a lot of these complaints are vague suggestion of "powergaming", however if this "powergaming" is true why haven't the people complaining about it ahelped it?

Not everything requires us to casualize the game mechanically.

And please if you're going to use examples of shenanigans use current ones, not something that happened 1-2 years ago.

Actually, I never made this thread to complain about using telescience for fun, just that, given it's supposed to be a highly experimental, dangerous, and barely understood field, the mechanics should reflect that.

A good example would be K'ois.

Even though in lore it was an alien and fairly dangerous plant, with horrible effects and risks, people still insisted on growing it anywhere, and looking at people for idiots for acting like it was dangerous, despite the fact that in lore, it very much so is.

But, as soon as K'ois was made dangerous in game to reflect the danger it presents in lore, suddenly people understood, and treated it the way it should be treated.

I'm not asking for a balance change or a nerf, really.

Just that the ingame functions of the device reflect it's in lore functions. A highly experimental and hardly understood teleportation technology should have more risks associated with it. In lore, most teleportations or bluespace based transportation requires a GPS point to aim for, making telescience, which doesn't require this, quite unusual. Again, it's ingame functions should reflect this.

• Gem locked this topic