Mining Equipment Overhaul

BurgerBB

I want to overhaul mining equipment to be better for the miners, and actually give miners a sense of progression instead of going from Pickaxe to KA instantly. I propose this by giving miners KAs at round start, but making them significantly weaker, almost on par with a pickaxe. It's 2000 whatever the fuck, miners should not be using pickaxes.

At first, it will take at most, 3 hits to destroy a rock using a kinetic accelerator (Rocks will have random health, from 5 to 10). It will fire pretty slow as well, however it will be faster than a pickaxe. Miners can obtain basic upgrades (Level 1 Power Mods, Level 1 Range Mods, Level 1 Explosion Mods, Level 1 Charge Mods) from the mining vending machine to put it slightly better than the current kinetic accelerator. If you want something better, you'll either have to order it from cargo or have science provide you with the upgrades themselves using research.

The upgrades will be the following:

- Power Increases (More damage to people/rocks), from level 0 to 5 (10,15,20,25,30 damage)

- Range Increases (More range), from level 0 to 3, (3,5,7 tile range)

- Charge Increases (More charges in a pump) (5,10,20 shots per pump)

- Explosion Increases (More damage to surrounding rocks) (1 range 25% damage, 2 range, 50% damage, 3 range 100% damage)

Upgrades will be able to be removed and readded on will. A just joining miner can give old upgrades to that miner later.

Goals:

- Make mining rely on science, while adding an self-sustaining option just in case.

- Make mining actually have some progression.

- Don't punish miners with this update.

But Burger, the pickaxe is our reference to Dwarf Fortress and or Minecraft. You can't take them out, it's more important that we keep references in the game than than make it realistic!

Those pickaxes are vitally important to the culture of this server. owo

But Burger, the pickaxe is our reference to Dwarf Fortress and or Minecraft. You can't take them out, it's more important that we keep references in the game than than make it realistic!

what

Sorry, I was being the token voice that complains loudly every time someone suggests we remove a reference from the game.

I figured I would try it out for once. Unfortunately, I don't have the strength of conviction to argue about it in long, multi-paragraph posts about how a reference is harmless and how you can't take a joke, and that it and makes the game fun, or run to reddit to rustle a posse of off-server SS13 players to flame you.

To be honest, I don't really give a shit about the mining picks. This sounds like it would make things less annoying and old timey, more fitting for an advanced space station in the future. My primary concern about this is that if every miner has a KA, we might have problems down the line of people weaponizing their mining equipment. Can KA break through walls and windows? When it's fully upgraded, it sounds like it's going to be dealing 30+ damage per hit, with multiple shots per pump and splash damage. This could be basically like giving cargo a free infinite use rocket launcher that just take a while to build?

I admit I haven't used a KA very much, maybe it has some kind of limiting factor I don't know about. What is to stop antagonists from doing this?

Getting mad because your substanceless PR was closed is no reason to shitpost on a suggestion.

The pickaxes are about as generic as they come, and have no hint of a refrence. they're illogical for mining to have as their only equipment by all senses of the word, which is what this suggestion is for.

make it realistic!

Your PR didn't make keys more realistic at all, just removed a reference that jungled your jimmies. This suggestion converts Mining to use drills, instead of an illogical pickaxe.

And burgy boye, for future refrence, you don't need to make a suggestion fourm to make a PR. it's often swamped with no actual feedback.

i'd like to request mining pickaxes remain in the game, but the alternate of the KA is available as well. the additions you want are fun and fine, but removing the pickaxes isn't needed i feel. i want to have an actual PHYSICAL labour feel to the whole mining job, at least as an option, so I can roleplay my bitch being exhausted all the damn time.

And burgy boye, for future refrence, you don't need to make a suggestion fourm to make a PR. it's often swamped with no actual feedback.

It is now policy to make feedback threads for this sort of thing. You would know if you still played. :^)

Could picks be buffed, as well in the sense of adding more options in terms of using mining equipment with each having distinct advantages over the other? Maybe add various material of picks that can be crafted with various quality. Steel being the standard, gold/silver being crap but cute novelty, and plasteel/titanium being very food, with diamond finishing with the best quality of pick. The sonic jackhammer, I think, should be cell powered by it, and it should plow through sand easily to make digging very efficient.

Getting mad because your substanceless PR was closed is no reason to shitpost on a suggestion.

But out of nowhere personal insults is? Really don't want to start anything by pointing this out, just thought you might not think of how it looks.

As a science main I love the idea of being more connected to mining. It is surprisingly rare for mining to ask for anything. And if they do, it is pretty much always plasmas.

Guest Menown

Maybe just locking the upgrades behind research, while leaving the base pickaxes as they are would be better.

Miners can already handle a lot just with a simple KA, and it'll make things go by a lot quicker for them.

An idea a while ago was a voucher system like TG has (had?), but it'd just be everybody going straight for KAs, as they're logically the best to get out of everything considering everything is just so poor in comparison.

Guest Menown

Almost done with the designs. It's completely modular, meaning that there are 5 x 5 x 5 (125) possible combinations.

The issue is that we've already got numerous possible combinations with KAs. The meta will always be the meta, meaning AoE + cooldowns.

You could have a thousand combinations but it won't matter if there's one guaranteed way to cheese the asteroid.

I'd rather have a pickaxe then a KA at round start, just to give you a sense of progression, mining is pretty bare bones in my opinion, the only sense of achievement I can gain from it is going from pickaxe to KA, I don't really see a need to start with a KA even if its nerfed to the level of a pickaxe, it just makes mining less grittier in my opinion, by hey ho thats my thoughtsion, by hey ho thats my thoughts

If there will be any metas, there will be like 4 or 5 meta builds that each do different things.

There will be the KA build that blows up rocks in a square pattern, there will be a KA build that blows up rocks in a line pattern, there would be a KA build that fires semi-automatically with moderate power, there will be a KA build that fires automatically with low power, there will be a KA build that has a pump action with high power.

Even though I am a new player, I approve of this suggestion. It's strange that NT, who have built their "empire" on mining phoron, still send their miners out with such an ineffective tool as a pickaxe. It's just good business to upgrade their gear.

I also really like the idea of connecting mining and R&D. As long as the Aurora is a research AND mining station, I will approve of more connections between these two departments. This will also give R&D a bit of leverage to use for more mats.

From a gameplay perspective, I think I would approve of more use of the KA. That's the first thing I get as a miners anyways, and the first run with the pickaxe feels like a hassle. Modularity here is awesome, and while there very might be some versions that outperform othes in a meta-perspective I will enjoy experimenting.

I agree that it might be scary to give all miners a quite powerful splashweapon, but I haven't played enough on the server to comment on whether or not that will truly be a problem.

All in all, +1 from me.

Please make sure you play test your new content for unintended problems and bugs before you declare it push ready.

That is usually the best way to make sure you haven't done something weird by accident.

Please make sure you play test your new content for unintended problems and bugs before you declare it push ready.

That is usually the best way to make sure you haven't done something weird by accident.

i tested none of it

i tested none of it

Trial by live alpha test, I see. :?

• Gem locked this topic