Remove slipping on gibs

kyres1

What the title says. This is one of the many curses of being a changeling.

Imagine you're chasing some guy down with your super scary changeling powers. You're this horrific shapeshifting monstrosity which will stop at nothing to add to its collection of identities. Then you contort your arm into a twisted, disgusting blade! And then you slip on your own blood, falling on your face and retracting the armblade, wasting 20 chemicals, 40 if you had a shield too which take about a minute or two to actually regenerate. By now, someone's seen you slipping, and are currently on top of you stomping on you. A lot of the time, this just ends the round entirely.

I only make this suggestion after having slipped on my own gibs some seven times in a single round, and running into the exact situation as above every time. I don't know if walking and running increases/decreases the chances of slipping, but you can still slip while walking. I've witnessed too many lings already suffer the same fate.

As for situations not involving changelings, I don't really know. It doesn't provide much to the game other than ending entire fights when it happens, considering not even magboots can defeat slippery blood and guts.

We could fix it instead, maybe change it so that only sprinting procs the slipping.

I did see multiple instances of people slipping right into the clutches of the antag while they were shootrunning away.

At the same time my best memory of an alien round is being cornered into a 1 tile wide hallway, standing at a door as the xenomorph rushed towards me, slipping on oil, falling on his face and allowing me to run past him.

All around I don't think we should curb an entire mechanic because of a single antag but instead make them compatible, it's an extremely small feature and I'd argue one of the most hillarious ones. And who can forget their favorite scene in the new alien where that one lady slips on some blood and fucks up everything.

Make them slip you if you run over them. Don't make them not slippy.

This forces you to have to slow down when in a blood bath which creates tension as you'll likely be running away from something/someone. It also adds a minor tactic in that creating a charnal house as an antagonist can act in your favor as it forces speed reduction.

This seems like a 'I got screwed over by this mechanic, I want it removed,' deal.

Cool work around is replace or add to arm blade with 'blade limbs' which causes their legs to twist into sharp spider legs or whatever that allows them to run across slippery services and non-gravity. Would add to the horror of experiencing a ling.

How is pointing out that wanting a mechanic removed just because it inconvenienced you is dumb a bigger meme than wanting a mechanic removed just because it inconvenienced you?

Also, as usual

not a meme

Anyway

We could make it so that the horror-form changeling can't be slipped

Which would make sense because it has a million legs and is a formless flesh pile

Slipping on a gibs was a meme mechanic introduced by gods know who. It was a nearsighted implementation that shouldn't exist in an HRP setting, and it's really badly coded because gib slipping chances stack with the amount of blood/gibs on a tile. For example, a pile of gibs has a 5% chance to slip someone when they're walking. 8 gibs on a tile will now calculate that 5% chance 8 times.

Dismissing a genuine suggestion because you think it's a "i died pls restart" suggestion is a plight to the suggestion forums.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Its a good mechanic. It belongs on a HRP server. Stop saying things you dont like are memes. Interaction between gibs and horror form is the problem.

Slipping on a gibs was a meme mechanic introduced by gods know who. It was a nearsighted implementation that shouldn't exist in an HRP setting, and it's really badly coded because gib slipping chances stack with the amount of blood/gibs on a tile. For example, a pile of gibs has a 5% chance to slip someone when they're walking. 8 gibs on a tile will now calculate that 5% chance 8 times.

Dismissing a genuine suggestion because you think it's a "i died pls restart" suggestion is a plight to the suggestion forums.

And yet I offered alternatives opposed to a down right removal? One could argue the argument 'shouldn't exist in a HRP setting' would also be blight to suggestions as it's a catch all argument against anything that adds obstacles or difficulty to those inhabiting the setting.

But I digress. If we are to deal with this apparent issue, then alternatives are the best approach opposed to blanching everything.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Slipping on gibs is something fit for /tg/ or something MRP. Having a buggy RNG mechanic on something that could easily end or interrupt round progression is a joke on HRP.

It doesnt end or interrupt the round. Several people cited incidents where it was a net improvement on their experience.

i suggest inviting those people to comment in the thread rather than instating yourself as the sole representative for "several people"

A game centered around instant gratification stun mechanics are not beneficial to roleplay. Stuns are constantly used by one side or the other to be weaponized and shut down the other side without significant effort involved.

To be frank, I have to agree with Delta here. I don't feel like the people who appreciate this particular mechanic should actually be speaking for the community as a whole.

Well I'm sure it's probably funny to them that the changeling slips on a pile of gibs and falls over over right after sprouting arm blades, I don't think it's generally funny to the changeling, nor is it really conductive to have any serious experience with a monster antagonist.

From what burger says it also has the same problem that glass does, where stacking gibs - as can probably happen when they've been sprouted armblades all over the place - causes it to apply its effect for every instance of the object.

The only solution that I can see being feasible are either removing it entirely, or restricting it to people who are running. But the ladder doesn't seem to really help too much, because it creates the situation where the changeling is forced to go slow for a few moments to reach someone.

You don't really need slippery blood though, and trying to shoehorn in schadenfreude into a horror themed game type is not good. I'd frankly like us to move away from mechanics that cause people to fall over.

Personally, I am a fan of using it as a strategy to slow down people. I think it could be solved by making it only affect running mobs, AND giving lings a noslip tag. Then they could sprint through a tunnel of gibs to chase down slower prey.

Personally, I am a fan of using it as a strategy to slow down people. I think it could be solved by making it only affect running mobs, AND giving lings a noslip tag. Then they could sprint through a tunnel of gibs to chase down slower prey.

Exactly what I was about to suggest.

I fail to see a problem in slipping on gibs, but I didn't know you could slip while walking. And yeah, make lings impervious to slipping.

This solves both problems. Lest we also remove oil and water slipping. I don't see how this has anything to do with HRP, if anything, it makes more sense. blood, mucus, organs and body fluids don't tend to exactly improve your grip. If anything, it is more immersive.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

i suggest inviting those people to comment in the thread rather than instating yourself as the sole representative for "several people"

A game centered around instant gratification stun mechanics are not beneficial to roleplay. Stuns are constantly used by one side or the other to be weaponized and shut down the other side without significant effort involved.

They already posted

• 2 weeks later...