Item Idea: Venus Flytrap

The proposition I have is for a new plant seed/item a botanist could grow. I'm referring to a Venus flytrap. This quirky little plant is something I thought would be interesting to throw into the ring for a tryout.

As per the lore, the Venus flytrap could have come about as a Venus flytrap from the planet Venus itself. If this idea is not liked, another carnivorous plant could be considered, such as pitcher plants.

This could have two implementations into the game. The mechanics in feeding it would be quite simple. It could eat Hamburger meat at a young age. When the plant grows, it could grow pretty big. When it's bigger, it can eat rats. It could also eat bigger animals such as cows and such, but it wouldn't be preferred to do that as a law on the station. The second thing I'd like to discuss is that the plant could be a guard for botany. If the botanist is in danger, it could attack the intruder. I'm not quite sure how to work that into the mechanics. It could even be playable to ghosted players and observers if making it playable is a good idea. I just thought it'd be interesting to bring up because Botany is a fun job, but adding little twists here and there can make it even more fun.

I was very surprised to see that the conclusion of this suggestion was NOT that the flytrap/pitcher plant could eat humans and human corpses, like a living gibber. Frankly, that would be the only utility I WOULD like to see for some crazy carnivorous plant like this.

I like the idea, it has potential. Here's how I would implement it to match the mundane-turned-lethal feel in the game.

The plant starts out as your average Venus flytrap. It's main, legal purpose is the safe disposal of bees. When fully grown, the flytrap will eat all swarms of bees within a 1 tile radius. Nice, safe, and perfectly legitimate.

However, through the use of mutation, the Venus Flytrap can be mutated into the Venusian Killer (name pending). The Venusian Killer not only eats bees within a 1 tile radius, but they damage all non-dionae mobs within range, dealing anywhere between 10 to 50 brute damage a bite (averaging 20-25) dependent on it's botanical 'Potency' mechanic. Any mob killed by it (or any corpses placed within the 1 tile radius) are swallowed by the Venusian similarly to the Unathi/Dionae consume verb. While a mob is being swallowed/digested (timer dependent on mob size) the mouth of the Venusian is busy and will not attack other mobs.

Let's just hope a traitor xenobotanist doesn't apply the kudzu spreading effect to a Venusian.

I like the idea, it has potential. Here's how I would implement it to match the mundane-turned-lethal feel in the game.

The plant starts out as your average Venus flytrap. It's main, legal purpose is the safe disposal of bees. When fully grown, the flytrap will eat all swarms of bees within a 1 tile radius. Nice, safe, and perfectly legitimate.

However, through the use of mutation, the Venus Flytrap can be mutated into the Venusian Killer (name pending). The Venusian Killer not only eats bees within a 1 tile radius, but they damage all non-dionae mobs within range, dealing anywhere between 10 to 50 brute damage a bite (averaging 20-25) dependent on it's botanical 'Potency' mechanic. Any mob killed by it (or any corpses placed within the 1 tile radius) are swallowed by the Venusian similarly to the Unathi/Dionae consume verb. While a mob is being swallowed/digested (timer dependent on mob size) the mouth of the Venusian is busy and will not attack other mobs.

Let's just hope a traitor xenobotanist doesn't apply the kudzu spreading effect to a Venusian.

Theres a vermin flag for mobs, it would be easier to juse that instead of just limiting it to bees

This is all great; Yet another botanical way to terrorize the station! I'd also like to suggest that the venus fly trap and venusian killer (or whatever it will be called) produce fruits before producing traps. This is, for one, what happens in real life. The mechanic reason for this will be that it gives a grace period to the crew -- a chance to kill it -- before it grows its terrifying traps. +1 for this idea!

• Gem locked this topic