More Fonts for Signatures

Fortport

That's it. Just more. There's only three, for crying out loud! People can copy my signature without even trying, technically. And we sign papers all the time, on Aurora. More customization would be appreciated, at least by me.

For instance, some that actually look like handwriting or stuff that's actually sloppy.

• 1 year later...

I'd love it.

I think some people might say that some that looks too 'outlandish' may be 'hard to read' but I mean..................... they're signatures 

Spoiler

image.png.e252b637f0c6db4330011c49eda29414.png

Maybe some might have better eyes than I do, but one could really say they don't necessarily have to be readable so much as being recognisable as a person's mark.

However, I think there might be some drawbacks in the instance that BYOND only has a limited range of default fonts that everyone can use. I think? there have been talks on the BYOND forum about being able to load some .ttf files into the server's resources? I think BS12 did something like that with Shage.

It would be interesting. Right now, I'm trying to replicate the look by adding in wacky slashes and underlining here and there at arbitrary positions concocted from images in my head, like so:

Spoiler

image.png.11e30b540ee8ad38805ca0353405e297.png

image.png.1ca703e96ae063f79e22293e5da73be4.png

image.png.c89721025aad476bba6e22519168e8e1.png

haha im a genius i know not 2 brag not 2 brag

But some might find this a LITTLE bit confusing.
So again: I'd be all for it. Adds a nice bit of variety and options, I think.

Edited by Mwahahahaha

complete mastery over all things signature
such power i have never before witnessed!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, VTCobaltblood said:

Anyway, I think the reason why we don't have handwriting fonts for signatures is because we're restricted to HTML safe fonts, but I might be mistaken.

I suppose that's true enough. Think the current non-Unicode state might have anything to do with it? I mean I'm not    knowledged enough with  this      so      a

Because if it is, I am aware that there's update 513 coming up which aims to rectify that to some capacity.
Which might also be something worth taking into consideration if this ever gets implemented.

• Arrow768 changed the title to More Fonts for Signatures

The server's code does seem to be restricted to web-safe fonts, which is a serious restriction that locks out all the cool, cursive handwriting-style stuff. Maybe there's more room to grow with .ttf or other font extension methods, but for now, I've submitted a PR in this vein to at least add the one vaguely handwriting-like font to the sig pool: Comic Sans MS.

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/6808

1 hour ago, Melting said:

The server's code does seem to be restricted to web-safe fonts, which is a serious restriction that locks out all the cool, cursive handwriting-style stuff. Maybe there's more room to grow with .ttf or other font extension methods, but for now, I've submitted a PR in this vein to at least add the one vaguely handwriting-like font to the sig pool: Comic Sans MS. 

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/6808

Background: SS13 uses Internet Explorer to render all text based UIs. I just added these fonts because they were bound to be around without requiring external resources.

It is possible to add fonts that are not system default, it would simply require that they be packaged and distributed properly.

• Gem locked this topic