Replace the gasmask sprites

The default gasmask on-station is really ugly. So I reckon we replace it with something less ugly, spritewise.

I have created a new gas mask sprite based on the ERT gas mask, to make it so the on-station ones aren't too far from our usual design. It will only change the current gas masks aesthetically.

• On-sprite: MaskG.pngMaskG2.pngMaskG3.pngMaskG4.png

• In-hand: MaskGH.png

• 1 month later...

Does it show your face? Because the main use of gas masks is identity concealment, besides you know, their OTHER non-important use of being internals.

It does, but it covers enough to still warrant the "Unknown" tag. It only shows the upper face, and the eyes. It's mostly to make a more modern looking mask as opposed to the WWII masks the station still uses. Let's be honest though, who even uses the shitty gas masks for identity concealment when there are a lot of alternatives in maint and the chameleon mask.

Does it show your face? Because the main use of gas masks is identity concealment, besides you know, their OTHER non-important use of being internals.

It does, but it covers enough to still warrant the "Unknown" tag. It only shows the upper face, and the eyes. It's mostly to make a more modern looking mask as opposed to the WWII masks the station still uses. Let's be honest though, who even uses the shitty gas masks for identity concealment when there are a lot of alternatives in maint and the chameleon mask.

Lots of people. It's one of the main reasons people use gas masks.

dronz-gasmasks.png.6b6116c05034daa52337f5fa01491c9b.png

I upscaled the gasmasks using nearest neighbour, and added nice moodlighting. This is so that blind people like me can see the sprite easier.

Now that I can see it clearly, I really like it! It feels pretty modern, which is cool. More obvious gas filters or lines or whatever bluespace magic we use would be cool too! I like it.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've been assigned to work on this.

So far the current plan for implementation is:

- It's not a full replacement. The old gasmasks will still exist because they are iconic.

- The new masks will not hide your identity like the green gas masks, however they will still protect just as well as a normal gas mask.

- Emergency Boxes are filled with the new mask sprites instead of breath masks.

- Some emergency lockers contain the new gas mask sprites.

- There is a very ancient gas mask now introduced in maintenance loot. Only difference is that it has an old sprite, and doesn't protect against phoron.

• 1 month later...