Piano in Bartender's Backroom

Fortport

I get that people might not like instruments, but let's be real here. The piano is an iconic part of the bar, and of SS13, whether it's controversial or not. Every time I want to put the piano in the bar I have a dumb checklist and goose chase. I have to bother cargo and have magical, borderline metagamey knowledge of where one is kept in maintenance. It gets on my nerves, and I feel like maybe I'm not the only one somehow.

Either way, for the people who do want the piano, the piano could be left in the backroom with a wrench. Given an option to install it, rather than having it shoehorned into the bar. Perhaps it could have something similar to a permit as well, where it is only allowed in the bar.

Bottom line is to have it be optional and attainable, without going way out of your way and being made to do ridiculous things every round while still keeping it to the side for those who dislike it.

As someone who despises all forms of ear raking noise 'instruments' and will stop at nothing to ensure the noise stops, this suggestion makes me yearn for the sweet release of death.

This suggestion doesn't necessarily force the piano into your ears. It just makes it optional.

Musical instruments have a shit implementation for transferring sound files. One which bogs down clients with slower connection speed and disk speeds. I would rather not see instruments get given wider access until they're made more sane on the back-end.

A wonky half-way implementation could be making placeholder instruments that only give occasional TEXT messages describing that someone is playing.

John Example plays a haunting refrain on the piano!

Anne Example plays an uplifting melody on the violin!

... then repeat like once every ten or twenty seconds or whatever. All the flavor with none of the headache. I don't really like it, but it's feasible.

• Gem locked this topic