Improvised Laser, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Screwdriver

DronzTheWolf

The concept is: Improvised laser.

It can burn your hand for anywhere between five and twenty five damage. Craftsmanship changes the chances.

It can de-focus that decreases the damage and possibly makes it worse, or do no damage at all. Craftsmanship changes chances. (De-focus is fixed with screwdriver)

It needs charged, and charging time depends on the craftsmanship.

The battery cannot be removed, to avoid in-combat battery swaps. Mostly because the battery is screwed down.

It does as much damage as an E-Pistol, this changes with de-focus.

It can hold anywhere between two and eight shots, this depends on battery cells.

• ImprovLaser1.pngImprovLaser2.pngImprovLaser3.pngImprovLaser4.pngImprovLaser5.pngImprovLaser6.pngImprovLaser.png

I want to like this idea, but I have a few reservations. First, what is 'craftmanship' since that dictates a lot of what makes it function?

I would also maybe lower it's damage, simply because the professionally made energy pistol only holds 5 shots, and it seems a little silly to me that an improvised pistol thrown together with station supplies can do equal damage and potentially store 3 more shots.

And lastly, what are the parts required to make it? Because the parts to make an improvised ballistic gun are annoying enough to get that they don't really show up at all. Will these materials be just as niche?

Well I assume it'll at least need Diamond, because it'll need a refraction lense which is much more than just glass when it comes to high potency laser weaponry.

Anyway, I defo defo love it. It's such a fun idea, not enough ranged weaponry you can feasibly create outside of being an engineer. beyond I assume craftsmanship is how well it's put together. Say, plasteel instead of steel would make it better or something. Or a Diamond (nudge) instead of Glass. Though I don't honestly know.

Well I assume it'll at least need Diamond, because it'll need a refraction lense which is much more than just glass when it comes to high potency laser weaponry.

Anyway, I defo defo love it. It's such a fun idea, not enough ranged weaponry you can feasibly create outside of being an engineer. beyond I assume craftsmanship is how well it's put together. Say, plasteel instead of steel would make it better or something. Or a Diamond (nudge) instead of Glass. Though I don't honestly know.

While that would be a lot better and more realistic, I don't want this tied to any one department or another (See: Cargonia, Science).

Though I also know it'd be far too easy to make without it, I considered diamond in place of glass at first but the worst feeling is knowing this will go unused because the two departments that could make it can just order/manufacture real guns far easier.

I want to like this idea, but I have a few reservations. First, what is 'craftmanship' since that dictates a lot of what makes it function?

I would also maybe lower it's damage, simply because the professionally made energy pistol only holds 5 shots, and it seems a little silly to me that an improvised pistol thrown together with station supplies can do equal damage and potentially store 3 more shots.

And lastly, what are the parts required to make it? Because the parts to make an improvised ballistic gun are annoying enough to get that they don't really show up at all. Will these materials be just as niche?

I missed this when going over it the other day, might as well.

1. The RNG craftsmanship that is applied to all makeshift weapons, which usually dictates misfire and/or exploding in hand.

2. Unless the E-Pistol was shadily buffed since I last used it, it cannot even take someone down with it's full magazine, and you forget that to have potentially more, you would need to have access to R&D maximum cells. So, only a scientist who could make a better gun anyway or a very lucky cargo tech could make it.

3. The idea to make it is: Make the improvised handgun grip, add the curve pipe, saw it or hatchet it, then add more steel and weld, then add glass and screwdriver, add a battery, then a laser tripwire that you can print in a prolate/ask for from Cargo, and finally add wires and wrench to bolt it all in place.

2. Unless the E-Pistol was shadily buffed since I last used it, it cannot even take someone down with it's full magazine, and you forget that to have potentially more, you would need to have access to R&D maximum cells. So, only a scientist who could make a better gun anyway or a very lucky cargo tech could make it.

I've full mag'd someone in the face and downed them. Nearly downed a ninja with it too.

• Gem locked this topic