Captain Panic Button

ReadThisNamePlz

So, I was playing a round of spess on my Captain character, Amelia Huey. I was sitting at my desk and I got to thinking, "Why do Captains not have a panic button on their desk?"

The captain's desk should have some kind of button or switch that can alert Security that they need help. Press it and a message would be sent to security comms "Immediate Security Response needed in location: Captains Office" or something of the sort. For the captains, office being one of the most targetted places by antagonists, and the captain being one of the most important roles on the station, they're really underdefended. So perhaps a panic button could assist in balancing this out, and while they could just go into the headset and ask for help, the panic button would be used in times of not being able to talk into the headset, comms being down or they're being engaged and can't get a simple "help" off because of trigger-happy antagonists.

In short, the captain's desk should have a panic button for emergencies, and possibly other contingencies in their office that can be used to help themselves in the time of being in immediate distress, because let's be honest. The Energy pistol isn't good enough sometimes.

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it makes a lot of sense ICly and would be an interesting feature. On the other, it seems like it would make the life of antags absolute hell. The second a head gets a whiff of antaggery, they rush for the button and sec is all over the place. Seems like it would hurt a lot of antag gimmicks pretty heavily.

I like this idea. I feel the button should be physically under their desk like they are IRL, requiring them to right/alt-click the tile to hit it. Doing so would also trigger the use object restriction on aiming mechanics, meaning any captain/head that tries to do it while being aimed at gets shot (and probably bwoinked).

I really can't support this. Heads don't need a 'screw that antag' button. Even if it was negated with a radio jammer, that's something most antags can't get their hands on.

I can see where you're coming from, but the captain is targetted too much as it is. It's unbalanced, like, /really/ unbalanced. This button would have to make antagonists think of ways to get the captain or any other head other than just by ambushing their office.

Y'all act like captains don't go "holy shit someone's in my office" as soon as we see it.

Some of us are insanely fast typers, hell, the button would be the SLOW option for me.

It doesn't really "screw" anyone over, not when radios are easy to use and call out help on.

Makes sense from an RP standpoint.

I was afainst it, and then Burger brought up the multidimensional chess, but now I'm back to saying "That's a no from me, cheif."

Antags make breathing room for themselves for (usually) good reasons. Yes, I know it's annoying for a ninja to port into the office and chair rp, but the- wait can antags also hit the panic button because that would be awesome ninja distraction.

That's part of the issue in and of itself. Offices are separated with darkenable windows so antags /can/ do these types of things. The second a Vampire does something? Buttonpress. Ling stings you? Buttonpress. Tator draws a gun? Buttonpress. It's just a way to completely destroy an antag, already taking time to coerce you into a meeting, and ruin their gimmick.

If they do that, kill them. :) I frankly like the idea, but only if there is a way for the antagonist to notice it happening, and potentially ways to block it being used.

It also would be entertaining for an antagonist to deliberately hit the panic button as they leave with the Spare and Chauncey, allowing security to know something is up so the hijinks can begin, instead of them noticing 10-20 minutes later when someone checks a camera.

It'd be neat if this was a machine that allowed wire tampering (and thus signaler attachment) allowing it to be cut and disabled or antagonists to fix a signaler to it to distract security on demand

The captains office SHOULD be a difficult target to hit. Antag players should have to deal with it or target someplace of lesser importance