[+1 dismissal]Give Merchant a bank account

ben10083

If the horribly un-creative title didn't inform you what my suggestion is, its this: At this time the Merchant, despite it's ENTIRE goal being to gain credits, does not possess a bank account to hold it's credits. My question is this: WHY? It just makes the Merchant forced to hide their credits or something instead of just keeping it safe under a bank account. I propose the following:

1. Give the Merchant a bank account and provide PIN and account # in notes

2. Give the Merchant a EPTOS Scanner at the start of the round, for easy, quick transactions.

No, only crew has accounts, and the merchant is not crew. He can just keep his money with himself or at the console.

+1 dismissal.

I agree with this, but the merchant should be able to withdraw specific amounts from the console so they have something similar in functionality. Otherwise its "all of your money" or "none of your money."

No, only crew has accounts, and the merchant is not crew. He can just keep his money with himself or at the console.

+1 dismissal.

I agree with this, but the merchant should be able to withdraw specific amounts from the console so they have something similar in functionality. Otherwise its "all of your money" or "none of your money."

click money stack in hand, withdraw amount needed, shove the rest in, I disagree with this suggestion, unless NT doubles as a banking firm, there's no reason why the merchant should be effected by whatever happens to NT's servers, now I wouldn't mind if he got an empty account he can access on station, the HoP can already do this as far as I know, but his money should start as hard cash

I would like to propose an idea in favor of giving merchant a bank account. As we know, the crew only has NT Bank Accounts. Perhaps we can give the merchant a personal account and allow the merchant to access the ATM with charging for using a NT ATM. So to speak, ATM usage fees are the fees that many banks and interbank networks charge for the use of their ATMS. In most cases, these fees are assessed solely for non-members of the bank; in other cases, they apply to all users. I am in favor of this suggestion as it gives both mechanically & RP advantages and disadvantages to merchants.

[mention]ben10083[/mention][mention]Alberyk[/mention][mention]Synnono[/mention][mention]DatBerry[/mention]

What do you think?

I don't want the Merchant having all his money stolen by Antagonists, because the place he was expected to store it was a NanoTrasen bank account, connected to NanoTrasen servers. It would suck for the Merchant and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. It would be catastrophic for the Merchants round, though.

If this could be addressed i'd be a lot more inclined to agree with a bank account of some sort, but that's going to happen and it's going to bankrupt the merchant with very little he could do about it, and it'll make no sense.

I think UM took a step in the right direction. Maybe have a special Merchant ATM or something on their base that allows them to expend money from it through their ID or a credit card, which I remember existing, but for the love of god don't have their account connected to the NanoTrasen database and emptyable. It needs to be disconnected or just used at the merchants discretion and not for actual storage.

I don't want the Merchant having all his money stolen by Antagonists, because the place he was expected to store it was a NanoTrasen bank account, connected to NanoTrasen servers. It would suck for the Merchant and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. It would be catastrophic for the Merchants round, though.

It would suck for ANYONE

I would like to propose an idea in favor of giving merchant a bank account. As we know, the crew only has NT Bank Accounts. Perhaps we can give the merchant a personal account and allow the merchant to access the ATM with charging for using a NT ATM. So to speak, ATM usage fees are the fees that many banks and interbank networks charge for the use of their ATMS. In most cases, these fees are assessed solely for non-members of the bank; in other cases, they apply to all users. I am in favor of this suggestion as it gives both mechanically & RP advantages and disadvantages to merchants.

I like this, like have Merchant have some random bank firm and NT charges a 25 fee to use their ATMs

Lorewise, NanoTrasen offers banking services, a large banking service, the second largest bank to NT is Idris Incorporated.

There is no reason a merchant cannot have a bank account with the company just because they are not employed.

However, counter-suggestion: Give them a secure safe.

It would suck for ANYONE

I can't tell if you were agreeing with me, or actually missing the point of what I was saying. Credits are much more valuable to the Merchant than the Crew at the moment. It sucks and is much more round ending for the Merchant to lose his cash than the average Crewmember, simply on virtue of the Merchants entire purpose being structured around the credits. That's why it would suck for the merchant, but only be bad for other people. You could argue Cargo uses credits now and so credits are more useful to the Crew, but they really aren't that useful since your job will rarely require anything from Cargo except for specific cases like the Chef that needs to order ingredients. You need to remember, it just in this update went from Credits being mechanically worthless and only useful for roleplay, to them being mechanically useful and still good for roleplay. Not all jobs find them useful, it's still mostly a roleplay tool for many jobs that don't intersect with Cargo.

TLDR: It wouldn't suck for 'Anyone', it sucks for the jobs in the game that actually use credits for their job. Not really anyone else. And those jobs are few.

That said; As has been echo'd, I'd really like a personal bank account that only the merchant can access, and that they can use to pay for junk on Station via a Credit card (Which I remember there being) or an EFTPOS.

• 3 months later...