Add a way to delay the effects of reagents

Kaed

Currently, aside from the short time delay from pills, reagents start applying their effects the moment they enter a mob. This is fine for medicines, but in situations where, for instance, you're trying to poison someone, it is somewhat of a giveaway when they start taking toxloss the second they bite into your cyanide burger, causing them to scream that the chef is poisoning the food.

What I propose is a new chemical that, when present, stops the processing of all other reagents, until it runs out. It would probably process somewhat slowly, losing about 1 unit a minute or something. By mixing this chemical into your poison laced food, you create a time delay before they start feeling the poison affect their body.

Potentially you could also use it as sort of a time-lock after filling your body with medicine. Just take a new inhibidone(?) pill every 5 minutes or so when you're in a dangerous situation, and if you get get shot into crit, all the medicine in your body kicks in a few minutes later, potentially saving your life.

Conversely, you could inject a victim with it as they are dying, and laugh as you listen to medical panic about how the medicine and cryo tube aren't working over your traitor radio key, you fucker.

I assume this is only for ingested-based reagents instead of injected? If it were implemented to injected reagent transferals, it would be really hard to dunk on a lot of people with chlorophoride if it doesn't act instantly. The suggestion sounds good provided it counts just for the ingestion part of it.

Although I wish the hunger system was more meaningful than it is now to promote these sorts of things.

I don't really understand why it should be ingested only? Are you suggesting that people would run around injecting themselves with Inhibidone constantly for the sake of being immune to any poisons?

I guess they could do that, but I figure it would be treated the same way as people who suck hyperzine all shift - as powergaming. It should also definitely have an unpleasant overdose effect at a low quantity like 5-10 units, so people don't just treat it like invincibility potion (even though it also stops you from being healed)

Are you suggesting that people would run around injecting themselves with Inhibidone constantly for the sake of being immune to any poisons?

That chemical doesn't exist.

I guess they could do that, but I figure it would be treated the same way as people who suck hyperzine all shift - as powergaming. It should also definitely have an unpleasant overdose effect at a low quantity like 5-10 units, so people don't just treat it like invincibility potion (even though it also stops you from being healed)

The only individuals that do this are ERT. No other character that I have seen "abuses" hyperzine. It is rarely, if ever, prescribed to crewmembers as combat chemicals.

Are you suggesting that people would run around injecting themselves with Inhibidone constantly for the sake of being immune to any poisons?

I think you've misread the suggestion.

Because that is the suggestion.

So long as this us a relatively complicated chemical to make and can't make it's way into everyone and their mothers bloodstream, I think this is reasonable. It has general utility for multiple departments, and any abuse of it could be as easily curbed as any other chemical, or by a nasty OD effect if it's not carefully administered.

The only individuals that do this are ERT. No other character that I have seen "abuses" hyperzine. It is rarely, if ever, prescribed to crewmembers as combat chemicals.

ae9d624c7d7908822a323b553e370067.png

I really wonder what goes through your head sometimes. But at the risk of being as rude as I'd probably enjoy being, I'll let Doc's comment answer for me. Suffice it to say you in no way actually answered my question by pointlessly arguing about the content of the question rather than actually answering the inquiry.

I feel like it might need to be one of those phoron-catalyst things. I mean, it's doing something pretty weird and impossible, suspending your body processes without making you fall unconscious.

-

But at the risk of being as rude as I'd probably enjoy being,

I misunderstood the intention of your thread as I thought you meant you wanted ingested chemicals to metabolize even slower but still hit like a truck when it finally processes.

But at that point you've already been rude, so I'll just lock this for a bit and point an admin to your post then see how this progresses shortly after.

Getting back on track here, I agree that this would be specifically useful in poisoning people.

Slipping slime jelly into someone's food is a pretty quick ticket to the brig, but not if it hits a player a couple of minutes after they've walked away from the kitchen counter. I'd be all for this. Add it to the uplink, maybe.

• Gem locked this topic