[Policy]Being a lazy, useless hack [Existing Policy - Binned]

How many times have you seen a player or, sometimes, a whole department of players, that simply don't do their job? A doctor that does anything else but even left click you to tell you what's wrong, a scientist that would rather pick their toenails than properly research something, a roboticist that doesn't make/fix borgs or IPCs, engineers that don't make the goddamned engine work, even sometimes heads of staff that act like glorified versions of their underlings rather than a boss that needs to be a boss.

Neglect of duty is an IC charge that can land you in the brig or fine you, but that doesn't patch my dents or start the engine, or free up a slot for someone who will. So, we talk about the believability of a character, or the believability that NanoTrasen would hire a given individual, why would they hire someone who doesn't do shit? Why is this not an OOC character believability issue?

Neglect of Duty is an IC issue, but the player, having no reason to make his character neglect his very important duties, is an ooc issue. It's also an OOC issue in that it's not believable that they would be employed on a very important station with a very important job if they are unlikely to perform their duties. IA can fix this, but it shouldn't be a problem that is to be had at all. I do think it should be an OOC issue, where someone may receive warnings for not doing their job in a limited/important job slot.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I don't know where you've managed to land a job, but I've never heard of any agency or corporation where every single employee was perfect. At every job you will have employees that make you wonder how they are still employed. I will absolutely get very frustrated if I got bwoinked and given a warning because I had a really long line at my HoP office that I was too distracted to deal with. If it gets people killed or they are shirking it so bad that it's not realistic when antags are around then make a character complaint, otherwise it should be handled IC'ly.

This is actually already part of our server rules.

Try to perform your job to a satisfactory standard, especially in positions of power (security, head roles.) Minor failures at doing so will result in IC consequences, but constant, repeated failures without sense or reason can result in jobbans (NT would probably not hire your character if they were completely unable to do their job). Note that you are not expected to be a role model employee, but are asked to not use your job to grief and to also have an OOC understanding of what’s going on.

It's largely already a rule (as stated) when it becomes ridiculous (not doing your job every round) but it's largely and IC issue.

When you encounter these characters, does your character raise a complaint through the chain of command?

[mention]ajstorey456[/mention]

I forget who it was, but I ahelped when a team of 4 engineers weren't setting up the engine and I was told it was a purely IC issue. (later they ended up getting the engine done, but that's besides the point)

And Zundy, I don't typically have the opportunity. When I see these issues, I'm busy with my own work as either a MD or a sec officer, and don't have the time to complain to the captain or s/t. I do believe I have PDA'd the Captain a few times about someone not doing shit before though, and it usually gets nowhere.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I forget who it was, but I ahelped when a team of 4 engineers weren't setting up the engine and I was told it was a purely IC issue. (later they ended up getting the engine done, but that's besides the point)

No..... It doesn't seem like it.... Because they got it done.... So even in your new rules they followed the rules and guidelines...

The point being, before they were getting it done, i was told it was an IC issue. Them getting it done way after the fact, at like 1:20, was why it's besides the point you silly billy.

Were they 'Station Engineer' or 'Engine Technician' ? These are the only two alt titles that HAVE to setup the engine.

Maintenance Technician and Electrician are not required to do so, because they are not considered qualified, nor are Atmos Techs (despite the fact the entire engine is one big atmos system lol)

• 2 months later...