Minor Mapping suggestions [!]

Hello everyone!

This thread is meant to encompass all of those minor suggestions in regards to mapping that would not fit anywhere else, and that do not require a full thread to be opened. Proper uses of this thread would be: suggesting the addition of a photocopier, reporting missing equipment somewhere that is not critical (otherwise it should be a bug report), minor area redesigns...

The ideal way to go ahead with this is by describing the location, what you need/want added or changed, and including a picture of the location for reference. Additional pictures showing the final result are also encouraged if you can map and the change is significantly enough that it needs to be explained visually.

Mapping suggestions are no longer maintained by me. You can check by whom is the team of mappers composed of in the staff list that is accessible via forums or Discord. Please contact them for any incident that may be related to mapping or to this thread.

Bugs reports go in the GitHub, as usual.

Edited by Juani2400
Content updated.

I think that this only happens if you undock and launch early, right?

This is the destination of the shuttles when they launch automatically. I don't think there IS another destination, either.

Also while we're here, I'm a little unclear on why a company would explicitly design the walls around their station AI to be weaker leading in a path straight to optimal emitter backdoor position.

99b52276fc9d16ac2b696863715140ab.png

You know, other than 'because we wanted to make it easier to emitter backdoor the AI that we're supposed to all think is largely infallible.

Alternatively because a wire runs directly under there and putting the entire length of the AI cable under reinforced wall is a little much in favor of the AI.

Cant really say it is. Taking the meme route around is really cheap way to go about it, and it provides nothing meaningful other than an easy way to kill the AI, especially as anyone without a voidsuit can navigate the area not long after its been breached, as the pocket by the elevators is an enclosed space that doesnt vent atmos.

It takes a minute to plow through a reinforced wall if you know the tool order, or you could just get some thermite/explosives and mow one down in 10 seconds.

Not to mention, a frontal assault is perfectly viable. Turrets are weak and easily dodgeable.

Right now, escape pods dock into unexplained minidocks that lead nowhere, in an field of space debris. Could we get, you know, an actual dock to unload onto, instead of a weird, half-assed debris field?

This is intentional, I think if you examine signs visible in the area it explains it better. The pods just eject out into a debris field, but once they're launched they have to await pickup. They're not little mini shuttles, they don't have guidance systems, you have to wait in the pod (ICly) until you're retrieved. Escape pods shouldn't be seen as miniature escape shuttles, especially like they were on the old map where people would just take them because they're closer than the shuttle. Not getting to interact with others is a slight tradeoff for taking the easy route instead of making your way to the shuttle. Characters actually should be taking this into account and seriously considering the matter if they're thinking of taking an escape pod on round end, because I'm still seeing people just doing it because it's closer than the shuttle. Pods are for emergencies.

Right now, escape pods dock into unexplained minidocks that lead nowhere, in an field of space debris. Could we get, you know, an actual dock to unload onto, instead of a weird, half-assed debris field?

This is intentional, I think if you examine signs visible in the area it explains it better. The pods just eject out into a debris field, but once they're launched they have to await pickup. They're not little mini shuttles, they don't have guidance systems, you have to wait in the pod (ICly) until you're retrieved. Escape pods shouldn't be seen as miniature escape shuttles, especially like they were on the old map where people would just take them because they're closer than the shuttle. Not getting to interact with others is a slight tradeoff for taking the easy route instead of making your way to the shuttle. Characters actually should be taking this into account and seriously considering the matter if they're thinking of taking an escape pod on round end, because I'm still seeing people just doing it because it's closer than the shuttle. Pods are for emergencies.

Munks... the only escape pods on the station are available to command staff. It isn't an 'emergency escape option' for crew, it's command's personal escape hatch. There is no reason to jettison the command staff into a debris field. They're supposed to be 'the important people'. It's not even really faster to get there. You still have to go up an elevator just like boarding a shuttle, except there is no ladder alternative.

Now, if there were more escape pods around that might makes some sense, I dunno.

Command are important (relative to the rest of the crew anyway, not really NT itself), that's why they get their very own escape pods to get offstation with. The point remains that they're escape pods, not tiny shuttles, and as such they don't have the facilities to navigate to an entire different station on their own. Requiring pickup is inconvenient but from an in character perspective you're not going to be using them so often to make it necessary to replace it with an entire shuttle. Ship's captains in real life are important, and life rafts are inconvenient. Captains still ride life rafts rather than getting their own little speedboat to ride to safety on.

Also there are ladders leading to them. Thats what the maint hatch leading behind the elevator is for

Also, and I know this is still a bit bugged, but is it possible for R&D to get their own doorbell? Robotics has one but it would be nice for cargo deliveries if R&D had a doorbell also.

And, medbay's doorbell could be moved as it is easily covered by something on that table. It could be attached to the glass (not sure if this is possible) between the two windoors of medbay's reception. Instead of placing the doorbell near the door, place it at the windoors of reception. Like a bell that you would ring if nobody is manning the reception desk at your doctor's office. It would encourage people to come to the desk and not the door to try and let themselves in.

Thanks for considering these as well!

Xenoarchaeology could use a requests console for printing forms. '

They could also use a filing cabinet,

controllable atmospherics in the extraction room (listed as access airlock) in the same way you can control atmospherics in the other rooms.

a button to lock down the extraction room,

and a camera to survey the extraction room.

• 2 weeks later...

aa7fb24f4545279f8f4a077aee0b0d73.png

Please consider either swapping this keg and this sink, or adding a second sink to the side with the keg. It's a very minor thing, but washing out glasses and stuff is silly when you have to lean through an airlock to do it each time. I don't think the grinder is used enough by most bartenders to justify the sink being in the back.

• 3 weeks later...