Starting off in R&D

Also, the guide itself says nothing about how to get illegal tech(Which is where antag shit comes from.)

*Points above at Mr.smoooth post*

And it's not the hard to simply ask an RnD guy his recipe for being cancer and have him write it all down for you.

it's called 'rp'

I'm sorry if I offended you by adding a bit of my own knowledge to what's available here. Even then, you'll need mining to get their act together before you can pull that off. Honestly though, I don't see how anything presented here is harming RP. You can still ask an R&D Scientist how they go about their work, whether this guide exists or not. All this guide does is present the information most needed for the job in a clear and concise format. This makes R&D much more open and available to the players, especially newer players who want to try and play around with the role. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to take advantage, it is simply an option.

RaD isn't fun anyway

+ all the other jobs / scientist sub-jobs have written guides, because

a) The characters are expexted to know what they're doing

b) No-one wants the Xenobiologist/Toxin-researcher/Xenoarcheologist to experiment and ruin everything

c) The stuff we're doing on-board isn't research, anyway. Pretty sure RaD records are ICly deleted after each shift, and how to achieve them should be common knowledge. Same with breeding slimes or building bombs.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

R&D is generally a chore, this guide is great as it could really help more folks start to do it and so it frees up more time for fun science projects such as all the different ways to horrifically maim monkeys and possibly even how to heal them again. I learnt how to do R&D from playing on Yogstation where the interface is different but it's pretty much the same scheme of things. If every scientist could just learn from this guide how to get atleast levels 5's and 3 for phoron, that be great, mmkay. I'd expect it from other scientists and I'd expect assistants to atleast get everything up to atleast 2's and 3's, 4's if they're good. Maybe being optimistic there, if assistants just threw in a micromanip (the one that's always right next to the destructive analyzer) and scanning mod then filled the machines with metal, glass and acid, I'd be happy.

A note worth making if I've missed someone already say before (sorry if I have) is that the hemostat from the autolathe or autopsy could be used for biotech 1 instead of another PANDEMIC board. I think I was told in-game by LiLITH to use the hemostat cause every little bit of efficiency can count before tables start getting disassembled because miners never turned up or robotics has taken all the metal for an army of Ripleys.

The Research lab itself needs more than just the levels put up, it needs organized at the start of every round; hand labeller and wrapping paper are usually randomly scattered so they can go near the front desk, all the obsolete stock parts can be thrown in the autolathe before filling them, and a large beaker could be made for the sulphuric acid (don't forget nice purple comfy seat upgrades).

The Materials lab can do with a rack for beakers next to the Chem Dispenser and a closet next to disposals for storage and safety, move that vials into the corner with the dropper so ya got a clear workspace, don't leave beakers in the machines and always put on lids. So many folks have no manners when using the Materials lab. Number one rule in research is if shit goes down, prolly hide in a locker so having one in Materials may save your life.

Scientists should think of projects to keep them otherwise busy when research is done, constantly testing and questioning everything. Design different tests and test different designs! Set shift goals in the form of questions; what if? can I? can it? how much? how can? where is? what is? Always think of a product, paper or possibility to come out of it; even safety testing phoron furniture could be a fun shift goal with so many different ways to play it out. Then again, could always be a boring bureaucrat or lab safety inspector type and just shit on everything but by the time the shift is over, a scientist should generally have learnt something or done something that makes them and others think, wow that was cool or interesting and not have just spent it all getting to levels X,Y,Z..., I'm sure a lot of good shifts have been had with just these 5's and a couple 6's with a 2 for phoron while no research has made some shitty shifts even shittier to many.

The R&D process is, as I and many have said, a chore that becomes repetitive if no one else knows how but ingame I've chalked it up to a "leave no research behind" policy to protect corporate secrets, which explains why it's always a mess of nothing of value in the lab but behind some sort of an enabling technology research passcode read by the destructive analyzer, you can get access to the juiciest of Nanotassen tech. If there was ever an implementation of persistent bank accounts and work-related payments, I think there should be royalty bonuses for unlocking research levels (also want to see it go beyond to femto-scale manipulators but that's also a different matter) then I bet more folks would be learning this this guide.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bruhs and gals I have tweeked the list due to new sci. Please see below, feel free to comment if you know anything better:

health HUD *

mining drill*

nano-manipulator*

nano-paste*

relay mainframe board*

telepad board*

Once you have deconstructed that list, you will hit a wall where most of the items to deconstruct do not have a high enough reliability.

This problem can be resolved by upgrading the parts in your Deconstructive Analyzer. With your current Research Levels, you should be able to construct a pico-manipulator, a high-power micro laser and an advanced scanning module. These parts will upgrade the stock parts in your Deconstructive Analyzer.

DO NOT USE THE RAPID PART EXCHANGE DEVICE FOR THIS STEP. This is mainly due to the deconstructive analyzer being bugged and not being able to deconstruct lower reliability items when parts are exchanged with the RPE rather than manually.

So, you must screwdrive the panel open on the deconstructive analyzer, crowbar the parts out and replace the circuit board and upgraded parts, then you can proceed to deconstruct the following list. Don't forget to re-link your deconstructive analyzer through the R&D console!

pico-manipulator*

man machine interface*

radio-enabled man machine interface*

super-capacity power cell*

super-capacity power cell*

advanced reagent scanner*

Exosuit Software Design (Advanced Weapon Control)*

(Needs mats)

plasma cutter*

phoron bolt modulator*

diamond mining drill*

Upgrade your deconstructive analyzer with a phasic scanning module and an ultra-high-power micro-laser and re-link the deconstructive analyzer.

phasic scanning module*

hyper-capacity power cell*

Edited by Zundy

Reliability has zero factor in RnD right now. It's a variable within RnD code but has next to zero functionality in the code as it stands. Something was changed between now and roughly 4 years ago. Even what Zundy posted is mostly just a mixed bag of misinformation or outdated information.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vZOQyhClbj7ieIWp8_GGC1tGEpkJCN4W97k6dD5I6tA/edit?usp=sharing This is a UTD guide as of today, anyone can comment with suggestions if they find anything more particularly optimized to make the route more streamlined and easier. Hopefully it prevents people from making and then breaking down diamond drills.

Edited by Scheveningen