How To Be A Good Chemist(WIP)

During my time on the server, I have noticed that Medical has a huge lack of good chemists (Or chemists in general). With a few exceptions, most chemists either don't make all of the medicines that might be needed, or take forever to do so. I consider myself a good chemist, I take around an hour or so (50 minutes if I push it) to make FOUR bottles of every medicine, with the exception of mental stabilizers and painkillers. A week or so ago, someone told me over OOC chat to make a guide. So here I am,writing a guide on how to not be terrible as a chemist. I will be working on it for the next few days(Edit: Almost finished it in a few hours, lol). Though some may wonder why I finish my job so quickly, my secret is simple: Just calculate the total reagent amount to fill up the entire beaker (Use large ones). That's it,really, there is nothing more to being good at Aurorachem, just practice and memorize.The only "Skill" you need is to change the amount of chemicals your chem dispenser will give out at a time. Also, you do not need to make the "Basic" medicines such as Dexalin and Kelotane. It is also important to pay attention when bottling whatever medicine you made so that you do not accidentally end up dumping half of it while bottling it.

Wall of text ahead. And yes, this is the order in which I usually make medicine during the course of a round.

Starting Off:

These are the medicines you should make- assuming nobody else has- the moment you arrive on the station:

Clonexadone:

This is needed to upgrade the cryocells at the start of the round. Firstly,set the gas cooling for all three cryocells, including the one by the scanner, to around 50 Kelvin. Now that you have done that, grab the two beakers by the cloner and get to the lab. Grind up all of the phoron crystals you start with and eject the beaker from the grinder, this will provide ample phoron to work with for the rest of the round (Assuming you aren't busy making lexorin and potassium chlorophoride).

Pour ten units of phoron into another large beaker, then add the thirty units of cryoxadone from one of the beakers you grabbed earlier. Put the cryox/phoron beaker on the chemical dispenser, set the amount of chemicals to dispense at once to 30, and then add sodium to get clonexadone. Take out the beaker, place it in the ChemMaster, make a bottle of clonex, and repeat it for the second beaker of cryoxadone you started with. Then, pour fifty units of clonexadone into each beaker you started with. After that, proceed to make alkysine to fill up the remaining 10 units of each beaker. Simply set the dispenser amount on the chem dispenser to five units, mix 5 units of potassium, silicon, and nitrogen, then add fifteen units of chlorine and 15 units of nitrogen. Fill up the space left in the two clonexadone beakers with alkysine, and pour the remaining ten units of alkysine into a third, small beaker, this will be used for the cryocell by the body scanner.

For the third cryocell, take an empty, large beaker, add 10 U of phoron, set the chem dispenser amount to 20, and add oxygen. This should give 10 units of Dexalin. After that, set the dispenser amount to 10 units and add 10U of water and oxygen IN THAT ORDER (The oxygen, if added before the water, will make more dexalin instead of cryoxadone), and then add 30 units of sodium. This will give you 60 units of clonexadone. Use the ChemMaster to pack that into a bottle, and pour the clonexadone into the beaker with alkysine I mentioned earlier, and load it into the third cryocell.

Tricordrazine:

This is a broad-spectrum medicine. I haven't seen it used often because, while it does heal all standard damage types, it does so more slowly than specialized medicines.

Take a large beaker, place it in your chemical dispenser, set the dispenser amount to 20U, and then combine Carbon, Oxygen, and Sugar to first make inaprovaline, followed by combining Potassium, Silicon, and Nitrogen. Take out the beaker, place it in the ChemMaster, and make two bottles of Tricordrazine and load them into the medicine fridge. Repeat again for a total of four bottles of Tricordrazine.

Dexalin Plus:

Pour 10 units of phoron into a large beaker, place it in the chemical dispenser, set dispense amount to 40, then add oxygen until you have forty units of regular Dexalin. Take out the beaker, place it in the ChemMaster, bottle the phoron, and add that phoron back to your phoron beaker. Place the Dexalin back into the dispenser, and just add Iron and Carbon, bottle the Dexalin Plus, and repeat once. This should give you a total of four bottles of Dexalin Plus, load them into the fridge.

Alternatively, you can bypass the Dexalin synthesis if the room right below the Chemistry lab happened to spawn with two oxygen deprivation treatment kits. Simply add 40 units of Carbon and 40 units of Iron to a large beaker, then add three pills, this will give you a full beaker of Dexalin Plus. Bottle and repeat.

Dylovene: Every nanomed in the Medical Bay has it, no need to make more unless you use it as a precursor for other chemicals.

Dermaline:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set amount to 20 units, combine carbon and silicon to give forty units of Kelotane. Then, set the dispensing amount to forty units, and add Oxygen and Phosphorus to give a full beaker of Dermaline. Bottle all of the dermaline and repeat.

Bicaridine:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set the amount to 20 units, then combine carbon, oxygen, and sugar to give 60 units of Inaprovaline. After that, spam click Carbon to fill the rest of the beaker and get Bicaridine. Use the ChemMaster to bottle it, and then repeat that once again.

Alkysine:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10 units, then combine potassium, silicon, and nitrogen to get dylovene. Set the dispensing amount to 30 units, and add chlorine and nitrogen, this should give you sixty units of Alkysine. Bottle it and repeat three more times.

Peridaxon: [ Oh boy, this is going to take quite a bit, but bear with me]

Pour 20 units of phoron into a large beaker, then set the dispensing amount to 40 units, and add oxygen until you get 40 units of Dexalin. After that, bottle the remaining phoron and add it back to your reserve beaker. Combine the Dexalin I previously mentioned with 40 units of water and 40 units of oxygen, this should give you a full beaker of cryoxadone, pack it into two bottles. Then, add 20 Units of phoron into your large beaker, add 30 Units of cryoxadone from one of your bottles, set the chemical dispenser amount to 30U, and add sodium. This will give you sixty units of clonexadone. Bottle the clonexadone and repeat until you used up all the cryoxadone you just made (Should give you four bottles of clonex).

Now, place the beaker with the phoron that remains from your clonexadone synthesis back on the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10U, and then add Carbon, Sugar, and Oxygen IN THAT ORDER (To avoid making Dexalin on accident), then add carbon to convert the resulting Inaprovaline to Bicaridine. Once you have done that, open up one of your clonexadone bottles and add all of it to the bicaridine. Bottle the resulting peridaxon and repeat until you exhausted all of the clonex you just made.

Clonexadone(For synthiflesh): Add 20 units of phoron to a large beaker, add 20 units of Oxygen to give 10 units of Dexalin, add 10 units of water and 10 units of Oxygen (In that order), then 30 units of Sodium. Bottle the clonexadone. One bottle is more than enough to keep the cloner stocked with synthiflesh.

Imidazoline:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10 Units, then combine potassium, silicon, and nitrogen to make 30U of Dylovene. Set dispensing amount to 30 Units and add Carbon and Hydrogen. Bottle the resulting imidazoline, and repeat until you get four bottles.

Rezadone:[ Wow, the rest of the crew actually gave you carp meat for your carpotoxin? Lucky you.]

Grind up whatever carp meat the crew gave you (You can not use an entire carp corpse, it has to be butchered) to get Carpotoxin, add equal amount of copper.

In another beaker, combine potassium, oxygen, and sugar to make cryptobiolin. Pour that into the carpotoxin/copper beaker.

A note about "Specialized Medications": Yes, the wiki says that these normally are not made unless the circumstances require them, but I strongly urge you to make them after you are done with the above medications, even if there is no need for them. Better safe than sorry.

Hyronalin:

Place your large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 20U, combine potassium, silicon, and nitrogen to make dylovene. Spam-click the button to add radium until the beaker is full of Hyronalin. Bottle and repeat again. Assuming you did exactly what was told, and didn't accidentally dump half of your Hyronalin, you should only need to repeat once to get four bottles (One large beaker holds enough to fill two bottles).

Arithrazine:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10U (Not 20), combine potassium, silicon, and nitrogen, then switch dispensing amount to 30U and add Radium to give hyronalin. Spam-click the button to add Hydrogen, and you should get a full beaker of Arithrazine. Bottle and repeat.

Ryetalyn:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser,set dispensing amount to 5U, make dylovene again, add radium until all 15U of it is converted to Hyronalin, then set the dispensing amount to 30U and add hydrogen. After that, spam-click the button to add carbon, and you should end up with a full beaker of Ryetalyn. Bottle the Ryetalyn and repeat.

Ethylredoxrazine:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10U, make 30U of Dylovene, set dispensing amount to 30U, and then add oxygen and carbon to get 90U of Ethylredoxrazine. Make one bottle of it, and then repeat the procedure with the leftover ethylredox in your beaker. This should result in a full beaker, so bottle the ethylredox. I also go so far as to make 90U of ethylredox just so I can have 4 bottles total.

Leporazine:

Add 5U of phoron to a large beaker using the dropper on your desk, place said beaker on the dispenser, set dispensing amount to 30U, and then add copper and silicon to get 60U of Leporazine. Bottle the Leporazine and repeat. Be careful not to mix in phoron with the Leporazine when bottling.

Lipozine:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 20U, then combine sodium and chlorine. Then, set the dispensing amount to 40U and add ethanol and radium to get a full beaker of Lipozine. Bottle all of it and repeat.

Silicate:

Alright, this is not a medicine, so don't try to feed it to someone. This will also not appear on the Aurora wiki. I found this while looking through the game's code in hopes that I would find secret recipes. This is used to actually reinforce glass windows. To reinforce a glass window with it, just splash the silicate onto it, more silicate will reinforce a window more. To make: Simply combine equal amounts of oxygen, aluminum, and silicon. I only ever made it to see what it does.

For a full beaker, place a large beaker on the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 40, and dispense silicon, aluminum, and oxygen.

Solid Phoron: Carrying out this reaction will convert the liquid phoron you have back into phoron crystals. To do this, add equal amounts of iron and frost oil(From certain slimes) into a beaker, and then add four times the amount of iron in phoron. (So to solidify 20U of phoron, use 5U Iron, 5U frost oil, and 20U phoron).

Ipecac:

Put a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10U, and then make 30U of dylovene. Then,switch the dispensing amount to 30U and add that much hydrogen and ethanol. Take out the beaker, and then use the ChemMaster machine to make PILLS (Ipecac will cause toxin damage if injected rather than eaten) of ten units each. Grab a pill bottle from the equipment cabinet closest to the entrance to the lab, and click the tile with all of the pills while having the bottle in your active hand. Repeat again to completely fill the pill bottle. Label the pill bottle appropriately and then load it into the medicine storage.

Spaceacillin:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 20U, and then add potassium, sugar, and oxygen to the beaker to make 60U of Cryptobiolin. Then, add carbon, oxygen, and sugar to make 60U of Inaprovaline, which will immediately react to form Spaceacillin. Bottle it and repeat again.

Tramadol: (I only ever make this to use as a precursor to Oxycodone)

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set dispensing amount to 10U, then add carbon,oxygen, and sugar to get 30U of Inaprovaline. Then, set the dispensing amount to 30U and add ethanol and oxygen. This will result in 90U of Tramadol, which will be used to make Oxycodone.

Oxycodone:

Add 5U of phoron to the beaker with Tramadol(Phoron is a catalyst).Keep adding Ethanol to the Tramadol that was made earlier until all of it is converted to Oxycodone. Also note that the conversion of Tramadol to Oxycodone will not fill up your beaker at all, so don't worry about running out of space. Once all 90U of Tramadol have been converted, bottle all of it. Then, repeat the process. This will ultimately leave behind two half-filled bottles of Oxycodone. Simply use one of the half- full bottles to fill the other.

Chloral Hydrate: This can be used either for self-defense, nefarious antagonist deeds, or subduing violent patients. To make this, simply take a large beaker, put it onto the dispenser, set dispensing amount to 20U,add 60 units of chlorine, 20U of ethanol, and 20U of water. Repeat again and bottle the resulting 40U of Chloral Hydrate. Then, make 20U more and add it to the CH that you bottled.

Methylphenidate: (For crew with prescriptions)

Firstly, you need to make mindbreaker toxin. Make 30U of Dylovene by combining 10U of silicon, 10U of potassium, and 10U of nitrogen. Then, set your dispenser's dispensing amount to 30U, and add silicon and hydrogen. This will give you 90U of Mindbreaker Toxin, which will be used for all of the mental stabilizers.

To get methylphenidate, just add another 30U of hydrogen. Then bottle it.

Citalopram:

Just add 30U of Carbon to the Mindbreaker Toxin left over from the methylphenidate synthesis. Bottle the citalopram. No need to make more than 1 bottle.

Paroxetine:

Take a different large beaker, and place it on the chemical dispenser. Set the dispensing amount to 10U, and add carbon, oxygen, and sugar to get inaprovaline. Then, add 30U of Oxygen and pour the beaker's contents into the beaker used for the previous two mental stabilizers (Should have some mindbreaker toxin left over).

Hyperzine:

This is almost never needed, I just make it for the sake of completion.

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set the dispensing amount to 40U, and combine sulfur, phosphorus, and sugar. Bottle the hyperzine and repeat once more.

Synaptizine:

Place a large beaker onto the chemical dispenser, set the dispensing amount to 40U, and combine lithium, sugar, and water. Bottle the Synaptizine and repeat once more.

Lexorin:

I know what you might be thinking: "Hold on there, SOT. Lexorin is a poison that has no use other than killing!". You are partially correct. A couple days ago, I did some testing with monkeys ICly, and it turns out that lexorin delayed death due to potassium chlorophoride poisoning for some unknown reason. This might be a bug, but who knows?

A little bit of background: Potassium chlorophoride is a chemical that can be made on Aurora and can be found on the wiki. Five units of it is lethal. It will slowly build up suffocation and toxins damage while also dealing TONS of heart damage. From testing on monkeys, the time needed to kill was 4 minutes. However, giving lexorin to a monkey affected by potassium chlorophoride poisoning caused the suffocation damage to rise rapidly, so that the total health was only a few points above critical, and then drop down and stop at 50 while the lexorin was metabolizing, making a test monkey live longer due to the capping effect. This might need me to do more testing in-game, or it could be a bug that will be fixed sooner or later. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that it will ever be needed.

To make: Pour 20U of phoron into a beaker, then add 20U of hydrogen and 20U of nitrogen from the dispenser.

Congratulations, you have made everything Medical will possible need for the round. You may now go to cryo knowing that you have done your job and don't need to worry about medical needing something you didn't make.

How to Bottle Chemicals:

In case you do not know how to bottle the chemicals that you make (WHAT?!?!), just go to https://aurorastation.org/wiki/index.php?title=Guide_to_Chemistry#ChemMaster_3000 .

Chemical Cartridge Replacement:

Inevitably, you will run out of some cartridges in your dispenser. Before you run to Cargo and beg for a replacement, STOP! Simply take the screwdriver on one of the desks in your lab, click the dispenser, take out the empty cartridges, toss them into the disposal bin, take out the needed cartridges from the second dispenser in your lab, and pop them into the dispenser you're using.

Bonus Stuff:

Paint:

Yes, you can make paint here, though it will not appear on the wiki. Found this out as I was looking through the chemistry code.

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/blob/master/code/modules/reagents/Chemistry-Recipes.dm

The Baystation Wiki has a section about paint and "Ghetto paint" (paint that is made using coloring agents besides crayon dust).

Paint Precursor:

This is needed for every single paint recipe. To make,combine some plasticide and three times that amount of water. To make paint, simply add a small amount of whatever will give your paint color. This is what I will be referring to when I say "Precursor" in this section. The ratio of plasticide:water:pigment: is 1:3:1

The "precursor" is not an actual chem, it's just a mixture that every single paint needs as part of its recipe. On the Baystation wiki, it says that you can get paint from "Pyrite" slimes, which do not appear in Aurora's code.

Red Paint:

Combine red crayon dust (Presumably from grinding up a red crayon from the art supply storage room) and precursor.

Orange Paint:

Combine orange crayon dust and precursor.

Yellow Paint:

Combine yellow crayon dust and precursor.

Green Paint:

Green crayon dust and precursor.

Blue Paint:

Blue crayon dust and precursor.

Purple Paint:

Purple crayon dust and precursor.

Grey Paint:

Probably removed.

Combine grey crayon dust and precursor.

Brown Paint:

Brown crayon dust and precursor.

Carbon Paint

Some carbon from a chemical dispenser and precursor.

Aluminum Paint:

Aluminum and precursor.

Blood Paint:

Combine the blood of that bald assistant you just horribly murdered in some maintenance tunnel and the paint precursor.

Unlike most paints, you actually need to use twice the amount of plasticide in blood(So to make five units of blood paint, you need to use one unit of plasticide, three units of water, and two units of blood). From this point on, paints will need varying amounts of "pigment", as opposed to using the same amount of pigment as plasticide.

The general formula for paints after this one is: 1 units of plasticide to three units of water to five units of coloring (Results in 5 units instead of 9).

Milk Paint:

Combine plasticide, then add three times that amount of water, and then add five times the amount of plasticide as milk. (Results in 5 units instead of 9)

Orange Juice Paint:

Combine plasticide and three times that amount of water, followed by adding five times the amount of plasticide of orange juice ( If anyone has a better way to say that, I would appreciate it).

The juices can be obtained by grinding the plants they come from in a grinder (Bananas for banana juice, for instance).

Tomato Juice Paint:

Combine plasticide and three times that amount of water, and add five times the amount of plasticide of tomato juice.

Lime Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but use lime juice instead of milk.

Carrot Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but use carrot juice instead of milk.

Berry Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with berry juice instead of milk.

Grape Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with grape juice instead of milk.

Poison Berry Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with poison berry juice instead of milk. You need poison berries to get the poison berry juice. To get poison berries, you need to use mutagen or radium to mutate regular berries into poison berries.

Watermelon Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with watermelon juice instead of milk.

Lemon Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with lemon juice instead of milk.

Banana Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with banana juice instead of milk.

Potato Juice Paint:

Just like the milk paint, but with potato juice instead of milk.

In order to apply paint to a turf, simply pour some paint in a beaker and splash it onto the floor, or use a spray bottle. On Baycode, paint will also affect objects and mobs, this can be used for some very !!FUN!! things.

The Ideal Death Gas:

Yeah, NO. Not going to fill this out. If you have been paying attention, you can figure out what the "Ideal Death Gas" might be.

Condensed Capsaicin: [For Pepper spray]

Take some chilies from the garden, and grind them up to get Capsaicin Oil, or inject blood into an orange slime extract. Now, convert it to Condensed Capsaicin , pour an even number of units into a beaker, and add some phoron to serve as a catalyst. You should get Condensed Capsaicin. Makes one unit instead of two. I am slightly uncertain whether or not parts of the code relating to this have been removed.

Edit: Condensed Capsaicin is make-able, and it will instantly paincrit you if you swallow some.

Plastic: [To make solid plastics, duh]

To make solid plastic, combine plasticide and half as much polytrinic acid to get plastic.

At first,I didn't know where you can get plasticide, but after doing some research, it turns out that you can get plastecide from "plastellium" fungus. This can either be gotten from the xenoflora seed storage or by mutating fly amanitas. To get plasticide, simply grind up plastellium.

Discontinued Items:

Yes,I looked in the code for these.

Silencer (Bar Drink):

This has almost certainly been rendered impossible to make due to mimes and such being removed from the code. To make this, you need to combine some "Nothing" ( Probably removed from the game because it was mime-related), cream, and sugar.

Driest Martini:

To make this, you need to combine some "Nothing" and an equal amount of gin.

Bar Drinks that do not appear on the Wiki:

You can guess how I got these. I am copying a lot of these from line 1980 and below of

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/blob/master/code/modules/reagents/Chemistry-Recipes.dm

Some of those things may have been removed from the code, save for the recipes, but I am going to write the recipes regardless.

Café Au Lait:

Combine some milk and twice that amount of "Black Coffee" (Could have been removed from the code, could be one of the coffees from a vending machine."

Icepick:

Combine Iced Tea (Found on the wiki) and an equal amount of vodka.

Pousse-Cafe:

Alright, this is going to take some time to look through. I have never played as a bartender, so the ingredients for this might be in the booze-o-mat. Anyways, you need to combine

Chartreuse green, chartreuse yellow, brandy, grenadine syrup, and something the code refers to as "Cremewhite".

Mint Julep:

Combine water, whiskey, and ice.

John Collins:

Combine Lemon Juice, grenadine syrup, ice, and twice that amount of whiskey soda. ((required_reagents = list("limejuice" = 1, "gin" = 1, "sodawater" = 1)))

Caruso:

Combine martini and something that the code calls White Creme de Menthe.

April Shower:

Combine Brandy, chartreuse yellow, and orange juice.

Carthusian Sazerac:

Combine Whiskey, Chartreuse Green, grenadine syrup, and absinthe.

Dewey Cocktail:

Combine Creme De Yvette, gin, and grenadine syrup.

Rusty Nail:

Combine whiskey and something the code calls "Drambuie".

Old Fashioned:

Combine Blue Curacao, gin, and ice.

Blind Russian:

Combine Kahlua, Irish Cream, and cream.

Tall Black Russian:

Combine Black Russian and cola.

Update: Silly me, a lot of the ingredients for the secret recipes are in fact mentioned in another part of the code:

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/blob/master/code/modules/reagents/Chemistry-Reagents/Chemistry-Reagents-Food-Drinks.dm

Edited by Guest
Guest Complete Garbage

Damn, I was in the process of making a very similar guide. Thanks for the effort though, at least now we'll have some better non-greytide chemists. But beware of community backlash in the form of "muh spoonfeeding."

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a tl:dr version of this from the Bay forums if you guys can't handle too much text :)

1U2LCEK.png

I appreciate the effort of getting that image, but I've noticed a few problems with the visual guide.

Dylovene is found in all the nanomeds on the station, there is absolutely no reason to waste resources on mass production.

The Dexalin Plus recipe only makes one bottle at a time rather than two.

For recipes involving phoron, the phoron will have to be separated out after it has been put to use,otherwise it will screw up the recipe slightly.

The recipe for tramadol needs slight tweaking. The carbon,oxygen, and sugar will make 60U of inaprovaline, so you will need at least 60U of ethanol and Oxygen to fully convert it to tramadol, for a total of 180U of reagents being used up. Large beakers simply don't have that much space.

The chemical reagent amounts for Citalopram are also slightly screwed up. After the initial dylovene is made, you need 30U of silicon and 30U of hydrogen to convert it all to mindbreaker toxin, not 10U.

The amounts for ethylredoxrazine are also slightly screwed over.

The recipe for chloral hydrate produces only 10U at a time rather than 20.

The "Supermatter" chemical mixture is actually just a mixture of synaptizine,hyronalin, and dylovene, and if you follow the guide word-for-word, all of it will not fit into a single beaker, much less a pill.

Leporazine, ipecac, lipozine, methylphenidate, paroxetine, oxycodone, paracetamol, and hyperzine are not mentioned on the visual guide.

The image guide is far from complete, but it has potential if tweaked a bit.