How to not blow up the engine (Simple Newmap SM guide!) [WITH GIF's!]

Hi there, I'm your friendly Engineering robot main, coming here to talk to you 'New to Engineering'-ers, and 'Nitrogen is good'-ers to help you learn newmap.

(As a note, the gifs will be inside of the spoilers)

Yes, you can run Nitrogen engines, and they're alright, but in reality there's not much room for any mistakes with a nitrogen engine. Nitrogen engines generally run pretty warm, and 1-2 'extra' shots into the engine might actually cause it to explode. Time-in and time-out I've joined rounds after a nitrogen engine has been set, and have seen engineers panic to try and cool it because it’s heating up like crazy. I will not lie, there's been times where I've joined, asked what the engine setup is, found that it is a Nitrogen setup, and have went straight to Cryo. The engine setup itself is fine, but requires a lot of constant-monitoring and many times aren't executed correctly, so me and some others have decided to draw up the normal setup that most Engineers use today.

To begin, i’ll go over some basic need-to-knows.

An Inventory of what you will need

• Insulated Gloves
  • A Multi-tool
  • Three Canisters of Phoron
  • One Empty Canister
  • ABSOLUTELY no Nitrogen

2ae891b66df6204fb768dceb8de202c5.gif

Setting up the Engine

Now that you have the things that are needed, you are ready to set up the engine!

Firstly, you’re going to want to add one Can of Phoron in the ‘Hot Loop’ (Color is blue, it is called the hot loop because it is the gas that directly meets the engine)

You are also going to want to put two Cans of Phoron into the ‘Cold Loop’ (Pipe color is green, it is called the cold loop because it is the gasses that will be cooling.)

e059a699ff58f9ffd82c3bd96fd92f97.gif

You are going to want to turn on both of the pumps that are connected to the ports, and set them to max so they will draw from the cans.

bae089f3735fc1ad2005956cfb4c37a6.gif

You should go south, over to the cool loops pump is, you are going to want to set that to max as well, and turn it on.

bed5b0b079b7aea66d6ea7b30b42286d.gif

Next, you should head all the way north to Waste handling, There’s going to be two filters there, you are going to want to change the settings from Nitrogen to Phoron, and turn them on.

21582c04b2.png

d738f12696.png

1ecf012002.png

After that, you will want to head past the blast doors into the waste handling room, this is where you are going to want to put your Empty Canister onto the port, and enable the Waste pump (Setting it to max like the other pumps, and turning it on)

e33fd3cdf7f1369443def8be0ad70514.gif

After that, all you have left is putting some shots into the Engine. Usually the amount of shots that are put into a 1-2 Phoron engine is around 25, but because the engine is using phoron, it absorbs a lot of heat, so it’s fine if it’s a little more or a little less, you’re still going to get good power output. (Just be in the ballpark of around 25 shots.)

58291c5d39ea9b7a3aade8ab18244247.gif

Finally you’re done with the engine, next you should move onto upgrading the SMES.

Upgrading the Main SMES

Upgrading the SMES is pretty simple,

• First you open the SMES menu
  • Set the input to ‘Offline’ so it doesn’t charge
  • Next you should set the output to max so it discharges faster

(Optionally you can turn on Substations so it drains even faster, but only do that if you know what you’re doing, I’m not going to go over that in this guide.)
  • (When SMES is drained to 0%) Disable output, and place 1 Transmission Coil and one Capacitance Coil into the SMES
  • Screwdriver the SMES closed
  • Set the input and output to ~1000000W (~1.0MW)

As a side note, as long as the input and output is around 1.0MWs, it should be fine, you shouldn’t go under that number, but as a warning, the more you put in the grid, the more damage shocking does to people without insulated gloves from numerous different things (I.E Hacking doors, touching live wires, etc.)

CONGRATS, YOU’RE DONE.

SOON TO COME, GUIDE TO THE TESLA ENGINE!

Side note thank you to the god LOHIKAR, for making sure this think was at least somewhat literate, praise be onto him.

Thank you for this guide. It's really hard to find a truly concise easy to read and understand guide on the freaking engines and SMES setup. This is very good. I love the gifs and the explanation PHORON SHOULD BE USED! The gifs are also all amazing and I love everyone.

Thanks Strudel!