Internalizing your Affairs, Or: The Guide to Internal Affairs Agents WIP

NTLogo.png

Internal Affairs

The Guide to Investigations, Your Relationship with Command, and Other

What is Internal Affairs? Who are Internal Affairs Agents?

The Internal Affairs agent is a company liaison within an individual installation or vessel to maintain in these possibly isolated communities the cohesive ideals that is NanoTrasen Inc. Internal Affairs has the authourity to engage in crew information requests on regulations or company positions, informing crew, making recommendations if they feel an action conflicts with NT goals, investigations, conflict resolution, and intermediary assistance. The agency is expected to maintain ideals within the community without outside assistance as possible. The agents have the right to a method of contacting more centralized command structures within the company when needed. Centralized Internal Affairs structures assume that actions within the installation or vessel, or information provided by local branches is reasonable, and accurate until contested by local command structures for review.

- ForgottenTraveller, CCIA Team Lead

Excerpt from Re: Remove Internal Affairs or Make Staff Improve It #9

The Relationship Between Internal Affairs and Station Command

Internal Affairs has a unique relationship with Station Command, in that they are able to formally, and without repercussion, make suggestions and provide advice to Head of Departments, and the Station Captain. Station Command often has two types of individuals, those that welcome and enjoy have Internal Affairs, and those that loathe Internal Affairs - You'll need to learn to work professionally with either.

Your ability to suggest and advise is powerful because your suggestions and advice are nearly binding in most cases. As you are the purest form of corporate guidance on board, and have the strongest understanding of NanoTrasen's goals, and policies, a Head of Department failing to properly implement suggestions and advice from an Internal Affairs Agent can be reported to Internal Security and the Station Captain, for Neglect of Duty charges. As the ultimate authority on board, the Station Captain may nullify your advice, at which point you must drop it, or contact Central Command. Again, that Captain is the final and ultimate authority, you are required to follow their orders and directions, and respect their decisions, you must contact Central Command if you believe the Station Captain is doing something worth reporting them for, you cannot take action directly yourself. Attempting to circumvent or override the Captain without Central's backing is sedition/mutiny, and will get you (deservedly so) detained.

However, it is almost always better to work WITH Station Command, rather than against them. If you see they are struggling with handling issues in their department - try HELPING first, before critiquing, offer to handle the review process and then suggest the action they should take, mediate the argument between their staff. Being in Command is stressful, try not to add to it!

One final note, the Station Captain can be your best friend, if talking to the crew, and then their Head of Department fails to help - the Captain is the last bastion of authority and finality, before you reach out to Central Command. More often than not, they are happy and able to implement your suggestions.

Getting Started

Introductions

At the start of the shift, you will have spawned with Internal Security in their briefing room, at this time it is good to formally introduce yourself by explaining you are an Internal Affairs Agent, and express good will. Whether you stay for their Head of Security's briefing is up to you, they get a bit repetitive after awhile. If there is no Head of Security and everyone runs out of briefing, just take a moment to introduce yourself over their channel. Then, check the manifest for Command staff. If there are any Command staff, take the moment to introduce yourself over the Command channel, and explain your role (not all Heads of Staff are 100% familiar with it!), and that you will be happy to help them, should they need it! A strong relationship with Security and Command are essential.

Organization

Now, it's time to organize your office. It is important that your works space is clean, organized and professional, while also maintaining a level of utility. Below this section is a diagram inside of a spoiler, please open it up to refer to for these next few paragraphs.

Highlighted in the red circle, are two grey folders, these are labelled 'Inbound Faxes' and 'Outbound Faxes' respectively, and are placed there for ease of filing when sending faxes and receiving them. This allows any later Agent that may board to see what the faxes without having to root through your filing cabinet! I also try to leave the stamps here, as Internal Affairs only get one of each stamp - you NEED to share! If you've been the only agent for awhile however, feel free to stick them in your briefcase along with your recorder until another agent arrives.

In the yellow circle, is the complaints desk, here you'll want to provide a folder labelled 'Complaints [Confidential] , so that crew have somewhere to place their complaints after writing them if you aren't around. It is always good to leave extra Complaint Form NCFs on the desk to. If anyone takes this folder or reads the complaints in it, they are violating privacy laws - so report them! I also like to move the pen and paper to the desk beside the front-desk, as it looks more organized. As well, try to leave incident reports inside of the office, it is important you are present when an incident report is being filled out, this is because these are sent directly to Central and you need to make sure it's the proper action to be taking.

Finally, in the blue circle, is your filing cabinet! After the above setup, you should have three folders left over, a yellow one, and a blue one and a red one. I use the yellow folder for 'Transcript Hardcopies', and I print off two copies of every recording I do, one for the hardcopy folder, and one to be attached to the related paperwork. This is just good record keeping, and isn't required! The other folder is Internal Affairs Ops. , I use this folder for almost all paperwork related to me that I've collected or filed, and it holds incomplete reports that I am working on if they're on hold (otherwise they're kept in my briefcase), if you get any forms from departments for records, store them here!

The red folder I generally reserve for the other agent, and I just slot it into their filing cabinet - same with their recording device, move it over to their desk!

Aside from that, whichever configuration you prefer the office to be in, do what makes you comfortable! I like to move the paperbin off my desk personally, while others like to keep it! I also suggest picking up the flash from the uniform locker - this is your personal defence equipment, and will protect you from angry employees, but don't act like Security with it!

Diagram

90ebb9b956.jpg

Investigations -WIP

So it's time to start your first investigation! This is the meat and potatoes of Internal Affairs.

Edited by Guest
  • 2 months later...

Coming back from my vaca for a mo to labour a point again about how I feel about name drops and quotes relating to me, especially in regards to sourcing, and context.

When quoting, the convention is to quote the text exactly as it appears in the source. It is common to mark a misspelling (or other problematical word) that might be otherwise thought to be an error by you (the quoter) by following it with "[what you think was intended]". The square brackets indicate that the text was added by the quoter.

And while yes the original is a poorly formatted sleep deprived block of text. The quote has no line breaks to create disparate parts, and given the nature of several other sleep deprived statements at the time, breaking them down in such a manner could break context while in this case it does not. The quote and sources are.

The Internal Affairs agent is a company liaison within an individual installation or vessel to maintain in these possibly isolated communities the cohesive ideals that is NanoTrasen Inc. Internal Affairs has the authourity to engage in crew information requests on regulations or company positions, informing crew, making recommendations if they feel an action conflicts with NT goals, investigations, conflict resolution, and intermediary assistance. The agency is expected to maintain ideals within the community without outside assistance as possible. The agents have the right to a method of contacting more centralized command structures within the company when needed. Centralized Internal Affairs structures assume that actions within the installation or vessel, or information provided by local branches is reasonable, and accurate until contested by local command structures for review.

- ForgottenTraveller, CCIA Team Leader

Excerpt from Re: Remove Internal Affairs or Make Staff Improve It #9

^^ This lets people trace back and verify you information. instead of taking it on good faith or searching every inch of the forums for it.

For anyone unsure how to get words over just he viewtopic link. Here is a code version of the one above.

Excerpt from [url=https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=8809#p8251]Re: Remove Internal Affairs or Make Staff Improve It #9[/url]

Updated 07/11/2017

- Added link to ForgottenTraveller's quote

- Removed the spacing from ForgottenTraveller's quote, at his request/suggestion

- Added further clarification that the Captain is the ultimate authority, even in regards to Internal Affairs