Capesh's Peek at Stationbound RP Suggestions

Alright. Let's see how this works…

So, as some people might know I'm a filthy main stationbound/borg user by now. Throwing off the ugly flesh that is an organic, I have now fully accepted my role as a flashmemable blue sphere of non-lethal interaction, which also means that I have picked up on a few ideas that could improve certain aspects of borg RP interaction - in particular, concerning cell power degradation and structural integrity (read: health).

By happenstance a few rounds ago, after being detonated for subversion, I noticed exposed posibrains, when directly subjected to EMP bursts, to momentarily experience a setting in which any sentence typed will have random numericals and characters inserted, simulating static and effectively adding to the RP as a whole during conversation. This effect wore off naturally after a minute or two, and I thought the event to be quite niche; because how often is an active posibrain, immobile by default, subjected to EMP bursts?

Which brings me to my suggestions: Add the same kind of static-laced speech to any borg that has cell power below 25%, alternatively moderate/heavy/severe damage, or both. Organics have stuttering to signal a state of distress, which adds to the RP immersion - borgs does not currently have such an option. One would think that damage which has broken the actuators, camera, radio, etc, would also affect the speech synthesizer - or that low power would make the borg focus on keeping more vital components, like the actuators or camera, active, instead of the speech synthesizer. I believe the addition of a synthetic version of 'low-health-injury stuttering' would go a long way in both conveying the state of their current integrity, but also improve RP in such occasions.

In addition, tools for disabled borgs are present on other servers, but not Aurora: once a borg has been disabled enough, it leads to the player being stuck inside an immovable, unspeakable shell, unable to signal anything to anyone - which, sometimes, requires the person to carefully LOOC passerby to notice the broken thing. Other servers solve this incommunicado issue by adding an emergency SOS alert to borgs, that can be used when the cell has been drained, effectively sending out a rather sharp beep to let others know of the borg's totaled state, without the need of LOOC, and I think it would be a good addition for borg players who otherwise just ghost and give up otherwise, which, depending on the round-time, could be harsh.

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

At the risk of sounding like I'm memeing, "+1 looks good."

But in all seriousness, I fully support this as an IPC and Borg player. Organic life stutters when injured (or in possession of the nervousness disability), so why shouldn't synthetic players also have some form to denote severe injury? Stuttering, or replacing bits of said text with garbled, almost Ion Storm-esque text would be rather fitting. In theory, you could create a Speech Synthesizer component for Borgs if just "overall damage" isn't good enough for garbling transmissions. I've been doing this manually to simulate severe damage on my synthetics; it'd be nice to have it done automagically.

As a pretty dedicated Station-bound player, i've already been simulating this to any extent, and I think it would be incredible for 'borgs atmosphere and immersion not just for them but for the entire server. Please somebody add this.

I would adore to have the option to "borg-stutter" even as a toggle, since sometimes you want to speak like a brokenborg when you're not *that broken* to simulate other situations.

But certainly a broken/garbled voice to act as the borg's version of hurt stuttering is a great idea. Maybe something like radio static noises when the radio module is busted.

Apparently it was supposed to be possible to message people when broken with PDA with an "offline PDA", but that doesn't work.

Do cyborgs have any function akin to suit sensors that crew members wear? I.E. can their health and location be monitored remotely, the same way? Because if not, it seems like that would also be a feasible way to make sure that they don't just get lost and abandoned for an entire round. I know there's the console that you can use to detonate them, but I don't know what other information is on that console. If it can't already, it would be a good idea to add some telemetry functions to it, treating cyborgs as though they're always on full 'suit sensors.'

[mention]Bauser[/mention] The console has the following things;

Power cell charge level

Name

Lockdown button

Destruct button

Hack button (malf only)

This suggestion is VERY needed as it is annoying being unable to observe the round but if you ghost, you cant re-enter shell.

((Thanks forums for having a 'submit' and 'post reply' tabs which removed my first response.))

[mention]Bygonehero[/mention]

I'll have to disagree with you on the two-way feed there. When a non-synth player takes enough damage, their speech morphs into a stutter - but they are usually quite able to hear any external responses in clarity (unless flashbanged of course). And while the spitting static of an injured borg is great for the utility factor, its main purpose is the cosmetic RP immersion this server relies on, the 'oh no it's injured' reaction. Having the borg hear just as little as it can offer through speech is really removing the point of the suggestion in the first place, in my opinion: an EMPed posibrain, while static in verbal response, can still be understood. Having the borg be additionally punished for injuries, extending not only to its ability to affect itself and its surroundings and voice, but also its ability to hear anything at all, is just unnecessary, and doesn't add anything of value ("Oh the borg spits static and can't hear anything, whelp, no use in talking to it then. Shove it off to robotics!").

Oh, god, please. The very instance you've described temporarily made me unable to interpret the definition of a gank, or understand the rules concerning the removal of a player from a round. This is a huge step in the right direction, and might lead to people, perhaps, thinking twice about gung-ho EMP spam. Even if there's a five minute length of time before a borg can do the 'ol SOS, I'd like to see it happen.

Major +1.

• 1 month later...

borgs are overpowered

they take an obscene amount of hits to be disabled, and they have no pain so they can just move at full-speed while wounded

they also never fall or get stunned

their kits are also as OP as they are, especially medical and engineering

so.

the devs have decided to counter this by implementing a one-shot-kill weapon specifically for them and IPCs who are equally OP

which is a shitty and cheap way of granting them a weakness, in my opinion

anyways, the solution is to nerf Ion so that it damages synths, maybe make it a beam instead of a huge AoE thing

also nerf borg kits because they are OP

borgs are overpowered

they take an obscene amount of hits to be disabled, and they have no pain so they can just move at full-speed while wounded

they also never fall or get stunned

their kits are also as OP as they are, especially medical and engineering

so.

the devs have decided to counter this by implementing a one-shot-kill weapon specifically for them and IPCs who are equally OP

which is a shitty and cheap way of granting them a weakness, in my opinion

anyways, the solution is to nerf Ion so that it damages synths, maybe make it a beam instead of a huge AoE thing

also nerf borg kits because they are OP

And how has that anything to do with the OPs post ?

• Gem locked this topic