Changing pepperspray stunning and removing telebaton stun

Taking in consideration the direction we are heading with the security stunning tools, such as removing the instant stuns from stunbatons, taser and flashes, some few tools remain with this power, such as pepperspray and telebaton. I am proposing the following changes:

-pepperspray will not stun anymore when in contact with a target without mouth protection, instead it will deal halloss/pain equal to being hit by a taser electrode

-removes fully the telebaton stun

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/4946

Telebaton aside (you guys have been nerfing it for years at this point), I don't think pepperspray needs to be changed. It's hard enough as is to spray someone with it without getting yourself, and giving the pain of 1 electrode makes it kinda useless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm (thankfully) not a security main, but if memory serves it takes 5 taser shots to down someone. Meaning your dangerous, stationary criminal would need you to spray their face 5 times to actually incapacitate them. Besides being bwoiked for macing a clearly afk player, I don't think the pepperspray canister holds 5 shots. (Again, my numbers may be wrong.)

Now I'm all for nerfing security, don't get me wrong. I remember the days when 1 taser shot would instantly down someone, and I would hate to go back to that. But pepperspray was always the weapon of choice for the sadist. Forcing someone on the ground, gasping and screaming in pain, but leaving them conscious to experience it. It was the reward you got for actually going out of your way to pull out the can, turn off the safety, and manage to hit a target with it's slow moving spray. Giving it the pain of 1 taser shot takes the reward out of using it. Might as well just whip out the taser, you don't have to click off a safety, the electrode is faster and does the same amount of pain, and you have range.

If you guys want people to stop using a certain item, give it a warrior's death and just remove it. Don't make it suffer nerfing into obsolescence.

You don't dislocate people's limbs by hitting them with a stick. That's ridiculous.

If you want to just look at someone's limb, pin them down and do it yourself.

yes, you can. baton experts typically go for the following joint strike spots if they are available: shoulder, elbow, knee, hip, finger, collarbone, jaw, wrist, ankle and foot. dislocating a joint correctly with a baton strike will literally win a fight.

http://dag.un.org/bitstream/handle/11176/387389/Baton%20and%20UDT.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y

it's absolutely fathomable for this to transition in-game. you can stop shitposting now, especially since you don't play.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hardly shitposting. I also agree with kaed. The baton is already a manifested excessive force charge. Lets not make it any more silly. It always seems like an antag tool due to the harm it causes.

no i meant it spawns every round in the heist shuttle. if it is not there it's taken already by another pirate

The telebaton spawning in the heist shuttle is random, like all melee weapons there, not granted each round.

http://dag.un.org/bitstream/handle/11176/387389/Baton%20and%20UDT.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y

it's absolutely fathomable for this to transition in-game. you can stop shitposting now, especially since you don't play.

Sigh.

You know, for the sake of giving it a fair try, I skimmed through your entire tedious PDF there, and I have to say. This had almost nothing to do with your argument about dislocating limbs. The word 'dislocating' does not even appear once in the entire document, and the only parts that mention joint spots details that they are the most likely to cause nonlethal pain and incapacitate an aggressor. Several times they mention that using your baton right can cause the person's limb to go numb and be unable to attack you properly.

This is not dislocating a limb. Dislocating a limb, to be clear, in case you are somehow not, is when someone's joint is removed from their sockets, usually due to a strong force that yanks the joint out. It is not done by hitting someone with a baton, unless you are being incredibly brutal. Our joints generally do not pop out of their sockets because you happened to hit a it with a stick, and while I will not discount that there is some ability to perform martial arts to dislocate a joint with some kind of pressure point, it isn't something that should be built into baton mechanics. For the most part, people with a telebaton are just going to be smacking someone with the baton, not performing dislocation no jutsu.

And like I said to you earlier, my low play time has very little to do with this subject. You keep bringing up like it's some sort of aegis that removes the merit of my suggestions and ideas. You need to stop this attempt to crusade against me with ad hominem. Focus on the content of my ideas, not how you feel about me as a person or a player. It is largely irrelevant.

However, I will say I wouldn't mind there being a possibility to make them drop their weapon if you hit the arm that's holding it, because that's a real thing. Just not dislocating them for a perma disable for the rest of combat because they drop everything they try to hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so here's going to be the deal on this one.

A poll was ran on this with the question of, "Should the stun from the pepperspray and telebaton be removed?" Which is not really the intent behind the PR. Ergo there's a decent chance of confusion to be had.

Otherwise, feedback for the proposal has been pretty okay, and the amount of stun damage done is on the very high side. Like, enough to down you in one if not two hits. This simply makes the tools actually cooperate with the agony systems used, instead of bypassing them in lieu of adding straight up, "You're ded," timers. A similar thing applies to the taser: they do high amounts of AGONY/HALLOSS damage, but are still beholden to the system.

With that said, and due to that, the PR has now been merged. If it ends up being poo, we'll revert I suppose.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic