Feedback on Security Aviators

Hello, I'm Hollywood's ParadoxSpace.

I have recently opened a PR here https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/4961 adding a variety of HUD aviators. This is all well and good, I'm not particularly looking for feedback for that. However, the second change in this PR is that I am changing Security's HUD glasses to these.

'But Paradox, what does that even entail?'

HUD Aviators for Security will have two modes. HUD, and Flash Protection, toggled by a button in the corner of your screen, or I can add a verb to make it faster if anyone cares for that. Both modes will not work at the same time. (I have considered giving the HoS the old pair again.) I am wanting to collect feedback on the change to Security. I believe this is both a way to make flashes a little more relevant in their current state, and also an interesting tweak to Security in that you now have to think, for the same reason welding goggles shorten your visual range, for the same reason HUDpatches do not save you from flashes despite their fashionista ways.

'But Paradox, I don't want to click that PR, show us how they look!'

42131230-ed12f322-7cba-11e8-8865-49c41f7c323b.png

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f374d534f6c79472e706e67 HUD mode.

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f727432764979382e706e67 Flash mode.

edit: I HAVE ADDED A VERB.

Edited by Guest

In what way does forcing Officers to choose between Flash protection and their HUD better gameplay? In what scenario am I going to need one, and not the other? If it's Green and nothing is going on, why do I need to wear either at all? If I'm checking someone's records, it's because I'm suspicious of them. If I'm flash protected, I want to make sure those around me are not individuals I want arrested, or are already set to arrest. This opens gaps and will have me needing to avert my eyes from what is going on, to flip the toggle modes, by clicking a button. This slows shit down, as we see from most people who have no idea as to how to macro, when they use shotguns, or rifles. This is needless, and this is not what I want, personally, but I am sure the majority of Security players will agree that it's better as is.

Mind you, I like the sprites a bit. Although, the colours come off as weak and watery. They fail to match the rest of the Security wear.

'Bloat' is relatively irrelevant.

> If I'm checking someone's records, it's because I'm suspicious of them. If I'm flash protected, I want to make sure those around me are not individuals I want arrested, or are already set to arrest. This opens gaps and will have me needing to avert my eyes from what is going on, to flip the toggle modes, by clicking a button.

Then click to HUD if you're suspicious of someone. If flash protected, it's easy to just radio in, or do your best to remember 'ah, that person is the person we were talking about arresting like five minutes ago.' And again, I can add a verb in order to make macroing it easier.

I fail to see how this is any different from the fact that you can't constantly have welding goggles on.

'Bloat' is relatively irrelevant.

> If I'm checking someone's records, it's because I'm suspicious of them. If I'm flash protected, I want to make sure those around me are not individuals I want arrested, or are already set to arrest. This opens gaps and will have me needing to avert my eyes from what is going on, to flip the toggle modes, by clicking a button.

Then click to HUD if you're suspicious of someone. If flash protected, it's easy to just radio in, or do your best to remember 'ah, that person is the person we were talking about arresting like five minutes ago.' And again, I can add a verb in order to make macroing it easier.

I fail to see how this is any different from the fact that you can't constantly have welding goggles on.

Welding goggles ICly are heavy duty goggles meant to stop your eyes from being severely damaged while welding. They are the 'ghetto' flash protectors. Security SECHUDsunglasses are built with the specific purpose of giving Officers access to HUDs and protection from their flashes, or other flashes. Why would you drop security to the same level as someone seeking out welding goggles as flash protection when the whole point of SECHUDsunglasses is so you're a step above them?

What I meant was, 'Why can't I constantly have welding protection? Why I gotta click buttons?'

You will hardly ever need flash protection except when shit is going down, and when shit is going down, it's relatively obvious who you need the protection against. If someone happens to sneak up on you, flash you, and kidnap you, more power to them.

What I meant was, 'Why can't I constantly have welding protection? Why I gotta click buttons?'

You will hardly ever need flash protection except when shit is going down, and when shit is going down, it's relatively obvious who you need the protection against. If someone happens to sneak up on you, flash you, and kidnap you, more power to them.

Welding protection is not the same as flash protection, because you aren't expected to be wearing goggles or a mask the whole shift, as is usually enforced by HoS concerning glasses. I for one do not even wear the glasses as is unless responding to a call, or on Code Blue alert and higher.

When I get flashed, it's never when I am expecting to get flashed. Flashes are a up-close and personal thing. No one is going to be "HELLO, HERE TO FLASH YOU." about flashing you. If they're obvious about making shit go down, they're going to bring a lot more to the table than an flash.

Then have flash mode on if you don't need to be looking at someone's records to summon Big Beepsky.

What does Beepsky have to do with it? The beepsky unit only checks record if activated, which is only ever done by your's truly, and even then, I usually turn him off anyways, and stick him in Security.

I don't understand the point of the toggle mode? This feels like it just adds more steps to do things when it's unnecessary.

Theme wise, in this setting, I don't see how glasses cannot be both tinted to provide protection and at the same time provide a HUD? Considering presently we have glasses that tint in their own depending on sunlight.

I'm fine with giving more variety and customization as long as we don't enforce a singular look. I'm however not really a fan of this toggle mode.

One could argue it'd be too dark to actually see the HUD if you're going to have flash protection at the same time, which are codewise about half the strength of fuggin' arc welding.

Is this a nerf? Yes. However, it is a nerf that will require you as a Security player to actually think before you do. Most flash protection in this game has a downside. Voidsuit helmets are obvious, you can't eat through them, you can't inject into them. Welding goggles have a nerf on how far you can see. Sunglasses don't do anything else besides provide flash protection, and they make it so that you cannot see in the dark. Sec Hud Glasses will have the restriction of not being able to read records while you are also shielding yourself from a flash. It is balance.

>Yes. However, it is a nerf that will require you as a Security player to actually think before you do

How exactly does this make Security players think more than they already do? Welding goggles have a 'nerf' because they're not suppose to be used to fight flashes, but to weld. If you're seeking out anti-flash why would you look for a pair of goggles over sunglasses anyways? I don't understand why you think this is something we need changed.

To bring them in line with other means of flash protection. It is just unfortunate that you will have to consider at any given time 'do I need a HUD, or do I need to be safe from flashes?'

Alternatively, I am willing to put in a crate of the old sunglasses to cargo.

Edit: It'd be nice if we were allowed to have this ingame before feedback was critical to it, as we're all currently just arguing hypotheticals.

Hi -

I personally wouldn't mind these clear aviators as an OPTION for people to pick in loadouts, however forcing it upon security players when it really doesn't add anything gameplay or mechanics wise doesn't make much sense to myself and others.

-1 from me for now.

"We'll add a verb." I don't want a verb. I want to be able to put on my glasses and be done. I don't want to fiddle around with the inane question of, "Well, do I need HUD or flash?", I want to get to doing other stuff, like interacting with suspects. If I'm going into situations with the thought of, "Well, I should probably leave my flash on." that tells the suspect I'm likely going to kick his shit in, and he'll be able to tell by looking at my glasses. Leave your toggles out, let me focus on RPing and either wearing, or not wearing my glasses. Not swapping toggle modes.

I, personally, support this. It'd be making all officers have to come down to Cadet standards in swapping HUD for Sunglasses when shit goes pear-shaped.

But why is this good? Why is the Security team suppose to be 'on par' with everyone else when it comes to flashes?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I, personally, support this. It'd be making all officers have to come down to Cadet standards in swapping HUD for Sunglasses when shit goes pear-shaped.

But why is this good? Why is the Security team suppose to be 'on par' with everyone else when it comes to flashes?

Game balance

Idea looks good. Tactical choices are always great. More room for strategy.

Game balance

Idea looks good. Tactical choices are always great. More room for strategy.

This is balance? Removing the slight edge Security has with flashes is balance? Mind you, Security is free to kill for most every antag. So how exactly does putting them on par with anyone with access to sunglasses help with that balance?

Another question is why can't HUDSunglasses or HUDAviators project the HUD and divert flashes at the same time? Given that the holographic HUD is within a layer of cirucuitry in the lense, as is the flash protector, what is stopping them from working at the same time?

And, no. It's not tactical, nor has it to do anything with 'strategy'. It's about 'nerfing' Security having a slight edge over perps. There is no tactics in me having to shut off the HUD because I might have to flash someone, nor is it stragetic. It's just a pain in the ass.