The Leyon Gunsmithing LLC Everyman

A new gun, yes, another gun thread from the infamous Dronz. However, unlike most guns, this one isn't marketed towards Security or Antags, but civilians. A gun made for self-defense, not combat: The Everyman.

A 10mm pistol that holds five shots and is loaded with a stripper clip, popular for self-defense on Mars.

It will be orderable through cargo and bought the Merchant, it's cheap and meant to be avalible to most people with a decent-paying job.

What will it add to gameplay? A gun made and marketed for civilian carry, something that arguably isn't in the game, and since it's a stripper clip gun, it encourages them to fire while running away. The 10mm ammo type isn't very avalible, either, so you wouldn't be printing these clips from Cargo.

• The gun itself:
    10mm.png

• The gun with an empty magazine:
      10mmE.png

• The magazine at different portions of being loaded:
      10mmClip0.png10mmClip1.png10mmClip2.png10mmClip3.png10mmClip4.png10mmClip.png

Im curious about something though.

If this is a civillan weapon, what stops security from going "Lolnope, contraband, confiscated bro" as they do with pretty much all weapons bought by civillians from the merchant or cargo, (Or even the rare space treasures).

And again, it being a civillian weapon, why doesnt people just bring this to work instead of buying one AT work?

Im curious about something though.

If this is a civillan weapon, what stops security from going "Lolnope, contraband, confiscated bro" as they do with pretty much all weapons bought by civillians from the merchant or cargo, (Or even the rare space treasures).

And again, it being a civillian weapon, why doesnt people just bring this to work instead of buying one AT work?

There's forms that are signed to make carrying weapons legal on station. I'm fine with some people having pistols. SOME people. I can see allowing people with clean records to carry a pistol, say on Code Blue. And really, I just want a deterrence from Rev/Militias buying larger guns. Small concealable firearms are something you'd expect- not rifles and shotguns.

And, I guess, as for buying it at work, since NT is against you bringing guns to work, they get to take back a bit of the pay they give you doing that. So you buy a cheap gun at work, for that shift, and then hand it over on the Odin, it re-enters the cargo system, someone else buys it. REALLY all guns are just being rented lmao.

As above, really. The odds of this gun being impactful with the current status quo are terribly low.

Current lore events have made some characters super cautious about the idea of people being able to easily obtain a weapon as a civilian and the risk of them doing something with it. We call that pulling a Halstere.

It's super unlikely that HOS characters will suddenly allow people to start carrying cheap guns that easily cause the worst damage type in the game: brain damage, if aimed appropriately at its ideal range.

again yeah, civilians having guns just screams " i know what round it is " or " i want to have the one up no matter what round it is " people are treating the aurora again as if this was a city or something other then an extremely secure research facility.

the station is checked by a clean up crew, the crew is checked before, after and during operations; why would anyone be afraid of anything to the point it justifies them being armed?

the guns cargo can order would realistically only be for RnD/Security and has no practical value being the hands of any staff member, the form itself is a gimmicky low rp mechanic that is there to justify arming people in antag rounds

it would genuinely stop me from playing if people started demanding guns, it's akin to " HoP all access pls? " and i dont think it has any place on the server...

a shitty gun? ,..just to be there ontop of the other 10 guns in code that arent used? sure.

I don't really see why normal personnel would be allowed to carry firearms on a corporate research station.

A corporate research station.

That is out of the Icarus' range.

With various non-antag threats (Carp, tunnel dwellers, etc.)

Frequent visits from traders, some of which are Vox who are known to be possibly violent or dangerous.

On top of that, while the ISD is reliable at best, it's completely dysfunctional at worst.

I don't really see why normal personnel would be allowed to carry firearms on a corporate research station.

A corporate research station.

With various non-antag threats (Carp, tunnel dwellers, etc.)

Frequent visits from traders, some of which are Vox who are known to be possibly violent or dangerous.

On top of that, while the ISD is reliable at best, it's completely dysfunctional at worst.

It's within the Icarus' range considering that the station gets malfunctioning drones from them occasionally.

The security department is there to deal with carp/tunnel-dwellers, why would civvies be directly interacting with them?

Traders are also vetted by CC before they're allowed to come, p sure.

I don't think the sec department being totally incompetent to the point where bringing guns is required is canon either.

It's within the Icarus' range considering that the station gets malfunctioning drones from them occasionally.

The security department is there to deal with carp/tunnel-dwellers, why would civvies be directly interacting with them?

Traders are also vetted by CC before they're allowed to come, p sure.

I don't think the sec department being totally incompetent to the point where bringing guns is required is canon either.

The drones only ever go that far out because it loses control of them. Any time a ship shows up, it's out of the Icarus' range.

As for 'why would civilians interact with the big angry things' it's because EVA roles exist. Shaft miner, Engineer(barely), and Xenoarchaeology/Anomalist.

One could argue that they could use tools as makeshift weapons, but that's a whole can of worms that's not worth opening. The only other weapon that Cargo has that'd be realistically approved for civilian carry is the derringer, which as opposed to the 'potential brain damage' some say this could give, can just headgib any antag coming after you.

all of these non-antag threats are easily delt with by anything from a welder, wrench, toolbox; or ... running

i play xenoarcheologist alot and I played engineering for like a year or two; i have never been engaged outside in such an extreme i needed a gun _ever_

for what you're arguing it is for, it is not worth the side effects

all of these non-antag threats are easily delt with by anything from a welder, wrench, toolbox; or ... running

i play xenoarcheologist alot and I played engineering for like a year or two; i have never been engaged outside in such an extreme i needed a gun _ever_

for what you're arguing it is for, it is not worth the side effects

Yes but does it make sense to charge a giant man-eating beast the size of you with a toolbox or a wrench?

That and the fact that Tunnel Dwellers have a ranged laser that can put you into crit pretty fast if you're not careful on managing the groups of them

Plus "Not worth the side effects" implies that an HoS would allow you to carry this, gun permits are few and far between. This is mostly meant to be ordered for Rev and the like to get as opposed to rifles and shotguns. A cheap gun to arm everyone instead of a few getting weapons and armor and the rest having to go torch and pitchfork.

Pretty sure that in-lore, the Icarus is there explicitly to protect the Aurora and Exodus, or at the very least patrol their space. We just don't hear anything about the Icarus, except when drones malfunction or when heist/merc shuttles port without turning on their stealth system.

Honestly, the reaction to this suggestion is completely unsurprising.

Anyways, this is a good idea. This feels very much like the single shot pistols the allies would airdrop to French resistance fighters during the Nazi occupation. I feel like something like this would need to be easily concealed in a pocket or even a boot to go along with the civ feel.

And... why... would employees on a secure research station (that already has on-board security channels AND an exterior fleet protecting it) need guns like French resistance fighters needed during Nazi occupation?

What a non sequitur. "Soldiers needed these during wartime, so obviously they belong here, too."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic