General forum rules apply.
This forum is for project authors (coders, spriters, etcetera) to create feedback topics on their contributions. This is not a place to upvote/downvote a project.
For a project to be submitted, it must either be:
  • Currently actively in development (PR not required, though highly recommended)
  • Recently implemented and currently awaiting follow-up feedback.

A Game of Shadows: Chess

I was just on a different server for a bit and noticed they had an interesting checker boardgame system which was pretty fascinating to observe. For a moment, I thought to myself. Why not suggest to add a chess boardgame to this server? It can be either on an arcade machine, laptop, or a physical boardgame. Though, I recommend chess being on the laptop to further Arrow's IT Project. I feel this can contribute to antagonist RP in many ways, although I will provide two good ways. It can be a cliche of an innocent person playing chess with an evil antagonist mastermind as a gamble like Sherlock Holmes, ransom with station as in "If you want see your precious Head of Personnel alive, you will have to beat me in chess!!!". What says you?

I went ahead and took a look at a OOP Programming. It's possible with Java but I'm unsure with BYOND.

Re: A Game of Shadows: Chess

It's possible to do. HTML interface that sends updates to the players playing and anyone who opted into observe.

However, implementing chess rules (ie automatically determining how a piece moves) is probably way too much work and it would be better if there was freedom.
Current Projects:
1. Kinetic Accelerator Additions
2. Flash rework
3. .loc > forceMove Code cleanup
4. Container tweaks

Planned Projects:
1. Bar/Kitchen map tweaks
2. Xenobiology map + slime tweaks
3. Asteroid Dungeons

An added benefit of allowing free movement of the pieces is that it opens the possibility of cheating, if you're playing against an inattentive opponent. Whether that's good or bad... Well, it's Realistic (TM)!
Korom Bhararaya ... Bauser#2332
"You felt your sins crawling on your back."

BurgerBB wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 am
It's possible to do. HTML interface that sends updates to the players playing and anyone who opted into observe.

However, implementing chess rules (ie automatically determining how a piece moves) is probably way too much work and it would be better if there was freedom.
Freedom is a good idea if we're RPing here. What if my character doesn't know the rules or wants to cheat? If there's a physical board instead of it being electronic (in-game) then why not?
I am the Tajara Lore Overseer and Deputy Lore Master. Feel free to message me here or on Discord, or anywhere really with questions/criticisms/thoughts on anything you want. If you're too shy, many questions can be answered by reading the wiki here.

I play the Mayor of Mendell City, Gleb Plyushkin. Feel free to send me IC emails as a concerned citizen with any questions, thoughts, or even full-blown proposals for legislation, and they could be addressed or put before city council if Gleb agrees! RIP. Gun was on stun.

The Brothers Tsyrrkunov: http://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtop ... 754#p68754

Pile of delightful meme photographs:
Spoiler:
You've been HONKED by Mofo1995

It's a good idea. I've often times have though about playing some kind of mini-game while in some of the more repeatative jobs. If there was a way to have games other than chess (my go-to would be Diplomacy) it would be amazing. No idea how that could be implemented though.

Return to “Projects”