Thirst Mechanics

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not certain about the specifics, but does hunger and thirst progression proceed linearly? If so, I think changing it to take longer for the first levels to affect you while having the later levels come into effect faster as each one passes, would be a little more realistic and lessen the possible irritation some people have with being forced to drink or eat. They could possibly push through mild hunger or thirst and keep working, but ignoring it too long would escalate quickly.

I'm not certain about the specifics, but does hunger and thirst progression proceed linearly? If so, I think changing it to take longer for the first levels to affect you while having the later levels come into effect faster as each one passes, would be a little more realistic and lessen the possible irritation some people have with being forced to drink or eat. They could possibly push through mild hunger or thirst and keep working, but ignoring it too long would escalate quickly.

This is how it works for hunger and thirst. Hunger level will be represented by 0% to 100%, with 0% being no nutrition and 100% being maximum nutrition.

Anything about 100% nutrition will be considered overweight. You move 33% slower, and hunger is removed quicker passively.

Nothing is affected between levels 100% and 25%. You will get a visual cue at 75% and 50% via the icon system.

If you're between 25% and 10%, you move 33% slower.

If you're between 10% and 0%, you move 100% slower.

If you're at 0%, you move 400% slower.

You'll get plenty of warnings beforehand and effects occur if you outright refuse to eat. I added more icons so hunger is easier to determine than "oh shit i'm yellow, oh shit now im red"

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Same with the lube station, or even just a bottle of lube for the robot antags.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I completely forgot about antags. I'll add some lube and water to their shuttles.

please call lube something else

It's an interesting idea. I admit, I like where it can be going. I do have a few questions.

1) As mentioned on the git, it's probably not a great idea to have lube accessible publicly. That's bound to lead to some issues. But where is the lube going to be, then?

2) About how long in minutes does it take to go from 100%->normal/75% and from 75%-> hungry/25%? Assuming without running and whatnot, but just sort of walking around as normal.

3) Are there any plans to adjust this racially? Skrell could need more water than an Unathi, for example.

4) Are soups and foods going to contribute to making you less thirsty? Totally should.

5) Rip Vaurca being able to safely drink tea. I suppose the filtered k'ois drink would function as their thirst-deterrent? I don't know if water affects them, someone will have to check me on that.

I think it's just a little bit weird for robots to be 'drinking' lube. I do think we actually need them to be using it in some function, but they should be 'drinking' coolant instead.

Maybe instead of a lube dispenser similar to a water tank, you instead used a mechanic similar to how IPCs can charge from APCs. A small panel on the wall they can interface with to renew the coolant/lube. It would also be easier or at least take up less room in other areas of the station; the bar for example. If you've got people who want that authentic "synths are people too" struggle.

I really think "lube" is weird in this context. Coolant or some made up substance along those lines makes more sense and feels less.... jokey? I know it's not a joke, but we're all gutterminded here. It just feels like "lube stations" would be something I'd expect to see on a LRP/MRP server. I don't know. It's weird to me.

As far as thirst mechanics in general... sure, why not? Also really support new icons and removing the healing effects from milk and tea.

I also want to backup and see answers to Conspiir's questions, particularly points 3 and 4. Racial differences makes sense from a roleplay and lore standpoint.

I very much don't want this to be a thing. However immersive it is, a reminder that we're still here to roleplay and not here to play a survival game. The more difficult we make the game for players who just want to focus on their characters and interactions (such as myself, for example), the more likely these players are to leave the server in search of another with a less complex mechanical side of things.

I'm sure a lot of people would just take to keeping a needless, say, bucket or beaker on their person to refill their thirst every twenty minutes. How dehydrated are we going to be on a space-station with a perfected atmosphere (beyond Tajara) for all of it's inhabitants barring say, moisture in the air. Not very, it's a three hour shift, two hours on standard. There's not much to be said about it otherwise. If you want to be immersive, RP it. Don't force a mechanic that'd make little sense literally. My two cents.

Edit: I should've probably stated that I disagreed with organic thirst mechanics, however a coolant for IPCs and the like sounds pretty cool. Though I think it should only be used in situations where they'd overheat. Sprinting too much, in a RIG/voidsuit. So they have a bit more of a 'grace period' that uses these things. And as such it wouldn't be required and wouldn't be out in public, but in EVA or Engineering or the like.

It's an interesting idea. I admit, I like where it can be going. I do have a few questions.

1) As mentioned on the git, it's probably not a great idea to have lube accessible publicly. That's bound to lead to some issues. But where is the lube going to be, then?

2) About how long in minutes does it take to go from 100%->normal/75% and from 75%-> hungry/25%? Assuming without running and whatnot, but just sort of walking around as normal.

3) Are there any plans to adjust this racially? Skrell could need more water than an Unathi, for example.

4) Are soups and foods going to contribute to making you less thirsty? Totally should.

5) Rip Vaurca being able to safely drink tea. I suppose the filtered k'ois drink would function as their thirst-deterrent? I don't know if water affects them, someone will have to check me on that.

IPCs don't actually drink lube. They apply it. They can apply lube to themselves by spraying themselves with it or using the lubing machine near robotics. There is no public access lube unless the roboticist decides to bring out his lube tank.

I haven't tested hunger yet but it should be the same as previously, if not longer.

Loredevs can make their own prs to adjust thirst rates for species, the tools are there to do so.

Some soups can restore hydration in small amounts.

Just as an additional note, your rate of becoming thirst is the same as the rate of becoming hungry, except that water and drinks fill you up better than normal food. There are also plans to make it so that hunger is drained less when running around, and more of a passive thing.

There are also plans to make it so that hunger is drained less when running around, and more of a passive thing.

*Unathi cheering in the distance*

Just as an additional note, your rate of becoming thirst is the same as the rate of becoming hungry, except that water and drinks fill you up better than normal food.

Seems reasonable.