General forum rules apply.
This forum is for project authors (coders, spriters, etcetera) to create feedback topics on their contributions. This is not a place to upvote/downvote a project.
For a project to be submitted, it must either be:
  • Currently actively in development (PR not required, though highly recommended)
  • Recently implemented and currently awaiting follow-up feedback.

Re: Nerfing Parapen Stun

Arrow, if the argument is that "insta-stun removes RP," then we should retain the insta-stun that demonstrably IMPROVES RP. The parapen is a kidnapping tool, not a gank one.

As an aside, I'm not even confident it always DOES have three uses, there have been multiple instances where I attempt to poke a second victim and nothing happens. Maybe this is related to armor (not RIG, just like security armor), but I'm positive I do not get 3 stings out of a parapen.

EDIT: We don't even have radio jammers in our antag loadout
Bauser#2332
Gabriel Diaz .............................................. "You felt your sins crawling on your back."
Adrien Major ... "Aww, did the big scary man make fun of you? I think you're cool!"

Simon_the_miner wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 pm
Bauser wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm
Has there been a single recorded incident of a paralysis pen being used in a combat capacity instead of for the stealthy incapacitation it's meant for
Maybe twice, I was involved both times, and when it was used in combat both times it was used in a defensive way (one wasn't even really combat, it was sneaking up on a distracted officer). The first time I saw it I was a traitor, I stabbed a surgeon with it because they kept grabbing me and I was trying to flee. The other time (Burger was involved this time) me and a dionaea were going about mugging people. After I attempted to run away when the officer wanted to search my bag (to which burger then chased me into medical with a stun baton) my dionaea partner came up and stabbed him in the back with the parapen, saving an unconscious me from a pair of handcuffs and giving us an officer to hold hostage.
Any tool, regardless of telecrystals spent, that allows you to stun people for an extended period of time so you could kidnap them for torture rp, is a ridiculous tool. And what happened there was everything wrong with Aurorastation antags. I would not complain if you actually did something creative. I straight up knew something was going to happen because you were so obvious, yet the most creative thing you could come up with was parapen me, threaten to eat me, and threaten to bomb implant me. I straight up asked you to kill me because you were so boring. I expected something decent but all I got was 2 people who didn't know what on earth they were doing, as proven by the fact that both of you did nothing with your gimmick.

Aurorastation antags have a serious lack of robustness, as proven by Rosetango's post. On other servers you'd actually had to make an effort to insta-stun people, which usually involves breaking into chemistry and mixing the ingredients to do it. If you actually went through the effort of doing something creative and didn't result to boring, depression RP, I wouldn't be complaining. I feel that most of the traitor uplink items are stupidly strong and the fact that they're easy to get isn't making antags focus on actual quality RP more as proven with the many anti-material rifle purchases, .357 purchases, parapen purchases, and of course, grenade box of any kind purchases.
Current Projects:
Thirst Mechanics

Future Projects:
Sleep Mechanics
Itch Mechanics
Arousal Mechanics

I don’t understand what the development team doesn’t get about 3 pages of -1s, several coming from staff.

Listen to the community. If they don’t play, you don’t get a server.
My characters!
Spoiler:
  • Dr. Ellie Shoshanna (Head of Personnel): Retired, station soccer mom. Fitness nut. Workaholic. Too friendly.
  • Dr. Fernando Gonzales (Chief Medical Officer): Competent. Total asshole. Recovering addict. Likes knitting.
  • Tyler McMullen(Cargo Technician): Dorky skater kid with no life direction, likes disco.
  • Jiq'uiax Wrquiil (Head of Personnel): Ex-WetSkrell star. Mostly useless, kind of racist.
  • Katir Storge (Head of Security): More than likely a little drunk, very relaxed.

Resilynn wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:07 pm
I don’t understand what the development team doesn’t get about 3 pages of -1s, several coming from staff.

Listen to the community. If they don’t play, you don’t get a server.
I've learned from polls done that forum is not the absolute voice of the community, and this should never be used as an argument.

Thirst changes. Nearly 100% of people in the thread were absolutely opposed to the thirst changes. A poll that was open for a month and it shown that over 66% of people supported the thirst changes.
Mental medication. Same thing; nearly 100% of people in the thread were absolutely opposed to the thirst changes. Again, a poll was made and over 66% of people supported the mental medication changes.

I'm pretty sure there were more polls done on different PRs and shown very similar results.
Current Projects:
Thirst Mechanics

Future Projects:
Sleep Mechanics
Itch Mechanics
Arousal Mechanics

Are you going to do a poll?
My characters!
Spoiler:
  • Dr. Ellie Shoshanna (Head of Personnel): Retired, station soccer mom. Fitness nut. Workaholic. Too friendly.
  • Dr. Fernando Gonzales (Chief Medical Officer): Competent. Total asshole. Recovering addict. Likes knitting.
  • Tyler McMullen(Cargo Technician): Dorky skater kid with no life direction, likes disco.
  • Jiq'uiax Wrquiil (Head of Personnel): Ex-WetSkrell star. Mostly useless, kind of racist.
  • Katir Storge (Head of Security): More than likely a little drunk, very relaxed.

His comment was only made in response to a comment that suggested otherwise. Regardless, meta-discussion regarding the various efficacies of political maneuvering to ensure your idea is most successful is out of the scope of this feedback thread, which is about parapens.
"The staff are tools." -Skull132, Monday January 19th, 2015

Basing a mechanical change on the subjective opinion that certain kind of RP isn't fun for you is not really a viable defence for why something should be added.
I partially agreed with Arrow in the fact that instant stuns are cancer, however from my experience I have not seen the parapen abused in the same way as flashes, batons, flashbangs etc. etc. etc. This is why I think it's an okay item to have so far, if people START abusing it I'll most likely change my stance.

We don't play like /tg/ because we aren't a /tg/ server. If I wanted to play a /tg/ like server I'd go play on /tg/, not on Aurora. It's starting to look like an agenda frankly.
The AM rifle costs your entire TC budget and comes with a single bullet. The 375 is overpowered and overused because there is no better alternative in the roster, I'd agree on removing it or replacing it with a slightly weaker revolver. Grenades are grenades, simple and effective. If you find an issue about those all I can suggest is "git gud".

In short I'd agree with why Arrow would want to implement it if it were abused. However this project has been created purely because someone dislikes a certain kind of RP with a complete failure to realize nothing about this suggestion would actually fix any of the presented problems.

Sidenote, on the matter of votes, stacking a poll 4 to 1 will lead to majority picking the most MODERATE answer, see the antag event and VP politics which have ended up in the most status quo keeping factions.
...the Hangman corrected me; "First the alien, then the Jew... I did no more than you let me do."
- "The Hangman", by Maurice Ogden.

Return to “Projects”