Journalism Changes

Currently, Journalism suffers from a few disadvantages that make the job both pretty hard and less engaging.

• Job Slot: For some reason the journalist job-slot overlaps with the slot for librarian, which means that a journalist who has no interest in hanging around the library is taking a librarians slot, and vice versa. I think it would make more sense if the journalist got their own job slot (or two, to allow for competition), and a very small room (especially considering all the maint tunnels we have, it would be easy to fit) equipped with a table, chair, newscaster, camera, lamp, and recorder. As a followup, the camera and recorder would be removed from the library back-room.
  • Newcasters: Other stations have implemented features to make newscasters feel more like actual news sites, rather than just random ramblings. These include comments sections on articles and a view counter. Further, the input method is a one-line hard-to-modify line which erases EVERYTHING on occassion, with no way to edit articles that have mistakes. A proper interface, and way to edit articles with a view-history could easily solve this issue. Finally, pictures attached to newscasters are limited in that they only display the picture itself - none of the text you get from examining it. If there was a way to fix this, then the news would be a lot more user-friendly.
  • Journalistic Ability: Journalists are often very limited in what they're allowed to do when it comes to antagonists if security is already on the scene. Although many HoS's and officers are very eager to allow criminals to be interviewed, it is very rare that they will allow journalists anywhere near antagonist actions as they are going on. That does make a lot of sense, and I'm not begrudging anyone for that, but it often means that journalists have no choice but to get third-party and biased reports on the situation. On the flipside, the most memorable moment I've had as a journalist was when a Head of Security (I think Dylan Sutton, but if it was someone else I apologise!) gave me a security vest labelled 'press' and allowed me in to photograph and document a combat situation. If a vest was avaliable in the Head of Securities locker for that purpose, or some other precedent was set to allow journalists to enter these more combat-heavy areas, it could greatly benefit their work, which is just as much an OOC job as an IC one.

As it stands, Journalist is one of the most underplayed jobs because of how hard and draining it is to do properly. If we made these changes to allow it to be easier to get into, then we might see more journalists running around.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic