[Accepted] Kaed's Deputy Unathi Loredev

Ckey/BYOND Username: Kaedwuff

Position Being Applied For Deputy Unathi Loredev

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I had some brief experiences with attempting to be an 'antag lore dev' over a year ago, and eventually ended up leaving because of frustrations between lore and gameplay separation that is inherently present in all antagonists due to their inherently noncanon nature. Diona and Unathi do not share that problem, since they are supposed to have an established plot and canon.

Aside from that, I've been writing and reading for a good many years, and have established plots and characters for several world settings and dozens of characters that have absolutely no relation to this server. I also have a fairly decent grasp of what makes a good story and some bad ones.

Examples of Past Work:

I have and still do maintain a number of 'quest' style stories on TGchan, with increasingly more of it involving art I actually worked on or created myself. You can peruse them yourself if you like.

https://tgchan.org/wiki/Legacy_Quest

https://tgchan.org/wiki/Fiend_Quest

https://tgchan.org/wiki/Moebius_Acquisitions

https://tgchan.org/wiki/Archduke_Azureblood

(Note: While I keep my quests within a strictly PG-13 rating, I cannot guarantee you will meet the same standard if you explore TGchan outside of my work. If you don't want to see someone's smut themed quest, don't look around too hard.)

As an additional bit of my work, this the unfinished groundwork I created for a currently on hiatus setting I was developing just titled 'Omega' at this time, which involved an invasive robotic presence converting local inhabitants of the setting into part of the growing machine empire, in a sort of combination between 'the borg' and 'runaway AI' thematics.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V0K-vKLIEQCWDOIC7qYEf5zUE747aDpW

Additional Comments:

I can be very strongly opinionated (and yes, occasionally rude, though I will try to work on that if you want me in an official position) and flexural in my mindset towards story and lore writing. I like to shake up existing groundwork and provide conflict. I will very likely introduce conflicts to both unathi and diona that bring that conflict to the forefront in the both the background lore and the station itself.

I don't pretend that all I want to do is maintain the status quo of either species. If that is all you want in an a 'lore maintainer', then I am not the one you want. But I do hope it is, because it seems like it would be fun to work with.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

This application was changed to Unathi Lore Deputy, so bump for feedback since we all know Kaed's love of lizards and lizard products, like crocs.

It is nice to see somebody who is very interested and passionate about Unathi lore who is not only a fantastic writer, but brilliant artist. Your credentials are very nice, and the quests you wrote are fun to read. Having a history of frequenting 4chan and quest threads often, that hit a twang of nostalgia for me. I don't think your skill and potential to be a great story teller is in question here.

However, you saved me the trouble of bringing up this point, which I appreciate.

I can be very strongly opinionated (and yes, occasionally rude, though I will try to work on that if you want me in an official position) and flexural in my mindset towards story and lore writing. I like to shake up existing groundwork and provide conflict. I will very likely introduce conflicts to both unathi and diona that bring that conflict to the forefront in the both the background lore and the station itself.

I will be blunt and not beat around the bush, because people cannot improve if they do not know exactly what is wrong. You have a habit and long history of attacking the people you disagree with rather than arguing with the ideas themselves. Not only with me but a with a good number of people. (I won't bring up specific incidents not involving me and you in the forums, but if you want me to bring up what you already know I can site the incidents I mean in DM's.) You can be very presumptive and abrasive, and in a team environment where you will be working with two others (one of which is in charge of you) and a greater lore/wiki team that is now 10+ members strong I wonder how long you would last without causing issue with the group. It is important to me and weighs heavy on me to ensure that you would be able to put ego or emotion aside and focus on discussing the idea. In the end everyone on the lore team is going after one thing, making the lore better.

For full transparency and disclosure, I have an admitted chip on my shoulder when we discussed my ideas for the Unathi religion concept I brought up. Multiple times in your replies you attacked myself, my character, and my intentions instead of discussing the idea. Saying that I was trying to write lore to better the situation for my character, saying that I was being sleazy, ect. Understanding your passion for Unathi as a species, and for discussion on the boards in general, I can see why you didn't like the idea I put forward. However if any of those things were true, would I have posted the ideas on the forums for said scrutinization? In the end you made good points, and were one of the reasons why that idea has been buried. But if that is your first reaction (not even a knee jerk reaction, as it was apparent you took time to write things out), and the way you handle requests for feedback, I need to question how you would fair being in our discord or meetings where we spitball things. Or if you have an idea that we shoot down or go forward with an idea you didn't agree with ect.

I don't pretend that all I want to do is maintain the status quo of either species. If that is all you want in an a 'lore maintainer', then I am not the one you want. But I do hope it is, because it seems like it would be fun to work with.

I am glad that as a deputy developer you are interested in developing lore. Me and Jackboot are currently working on sweeping additions to the Unathi to try and flesh them out. So someone coming in with new ideas is certainly welcome. I am curious to hear some of yours, and gripes you may have with the current lore. Dunking Jackboot's old ideas garner you bonus points with me.

Lets say you got the job, what would you want to change/what would you do over the next seven days?

Let me pass along one of the main ideas I'm spitballing right now. It's by no means a final draft, and many of the things don't have proper names or territories mapped out, but here it is anyway.

750px-MoghesCities.png

My main current project idea right now is with decentralizing the power currently held on Moghes away from the Izweski Hegemony and Jackboot's Maraziite order, which currently dominate all lore related newspapers and events on the unathi homework. Unathi and the Izweski Hegemony has never struck me as a monolithic world government, but rather the most powerful clan in a world where there were once many clans, but now there are far less, along with a lot more radioactive wastelands.

After considering the Moghes map for a while and where most of the major events in Jackboot's newspaper articles took place, I settled on the southern parts of Moghes as a viable place to add things in and flesh out. I came up with the idea of both that there is a major clan down there (and they are a major source of food exports, both from fishing and because they have the most untouched lands south of the equator), and a way to bring the Th'akh faith a little bit more into prominence, because Jackboot has been giving the Maraziite and Sk'akh faith far too much screen time for my taste.

This territory, while run by a powerful clan, has many other clans under it's wing, and while they pay respect and somewhere between actual fealty and lip service (depending on where you are) to the Izweski Hegemony, they maintain a kind of independence from them in several key aspects, mainly relating to religion (so far).

-The primary religion down here is still traditionalist Th'akh

-They do not recognize the ecclesiastical authority of the Maraziite Order.

-They maintain strong defense of a protected section of lands that contains many mountain temples occupied by Th'akh monks. These temples are as much religious as they are for education of some of the sciences, like astronomy, and medicine.

I also have some plans in motion for one of the elder Th'akh shamans stepping forward to make impassioned speeches against the extremism of Yizra Unzi, decrying his methods as unethical and denouncing the Maraziite order for their persecution of the Th'akh faith. I also plan for him to make his own order and call for action, but it will primarily be focused on 'unathitarian' efforts, such as improving the lives of second class citizens such as the growing Guwan population (because even the clanless deserve at least the dignity to not die en mass in ditches), running soup kitchens, helping those who are suffering because of the wasteland. It will also have very 'reformist' take on the occult taint that the Maraziites are gung ho to exterminate. You can only save their souls by returning them to the right path of their ancestors, not by executing them.

It is nice to see somebody who is very interested and passionate about Unathi lore who is not only a fantastic writer, but brilliant artist. Your credentials are very nice, and the quests you wrote are fun to read. Having a history of frequenting 4chan and quest threads often, that hit a twang of nostalgia for me. I don't think your skill and potential to be a great story teller is in question here.

However, you saved me the trouble of bringing up this point, which I appreciate.

I will be blunt and not beat around the bush, because people cannot improve if they do not know exactly what is wrong. You have a habit and long history of attacking the people you disagree with rather than arguing with the ideas themselves. Not only with me but a with a good number of people. (I won't bring up specific incidents not involving me and you in the forums, but if you want me to bring up what you already know I can site the incidents I mean in DM's.) You can be very presumptive and abrasive, and in a team environment where you will be working with two others (one of which is in charge of you) and a greater lore/wiki team that is now 10+ members strong I wonder how long you would last without causing issue with the group. It is important to me and weighs heavy on me to ensure that you would be able to put ego or emotion aside and focus on discussing the idea. In the end everyone on the lore team is going after one thing, making the lore better.

For full transparency and disclosure, I have an admitted chip on my shoulder when we discussed my ideas for the Unathi religion concept I brought up. Multiple times in your replies you attacked myself, my character, and my intentions instead of discussing the idea. Saying that I was trying to write lore to better the situation for my character, saying that I was being sleazy, ect. Understanding your passion for Unathi as a species, and for discussion on the boards in general, I can see why you didn't like the idea I put forward. However if any of those things were true, would I have posted the ideas on the forums for said scrutinization? In the end you made good points, and were one of the reasons why that idea has been buried. But if that is your first reaction (not even a knee jerk reaction, as it was apparent you took time to write things out), and the way you handle requests for feedback, I need to question how you would fair being in our discord or meetings where we spitball things. Or if you have an idea that we shoot down or go forward with an idea you didn't agree with ect.

I'm aware of what you were talking about, but I don't think that right here is the best place for me to begin a specific defense of that situation. I will however and extend an apology that I upset you, I could definitely have been a bit more polite there.

I will also add that I feel there is there an entirely different set of expectations when you are working with an official team, as opposed to an independent individual commenting on something. When you have other people that you work with on a regular basis, you have to make sure that they don't all hate you or you're not going to go very far.

I believe I am capable of being a team player, and there's not much else I can say here about that other than try me and see. It's not like I'll have a position for life and you can't tell me I need to go if I'm unacceptable as a lore team member.

The last thing I was actually looking for is a defense, or ask you to discuss that here. As a lore deputy, you will be representing not only yourself but the lore team, if you are able to set aside what I discussed with interactions with the community and your team, or at least promising to do so, I can give my tentative +1 to give you a shot.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

You are clearly eager and have wanted to work with Unathi for a long time. We have addressed the concerns with any potential personality clashes and there is a clear desire to give you a shot, as long as we all remember to show one another respect. I am eager to see your mechanizations manifested for Unathi.

Application accepted!