[Accepted] kyres1 Synthetic Lore Deputy App

Ckey/BYOND Username: kyres1

Position Being Applied For (coder, mapper, spriter): Synthetic Lore Deputy

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I basically grew up piecing together lore for several science fiction, and on occasion fantasy universes. I've been game master in various tabletop games that have lasted as long as a year each, from which I got quite a bit of experience writing on the fly, as well as creating an entertaining and involving story. The main story I had pieced together was something I heavily involved myself in, meticulously putting in some pretty pedantic details and trying to fit in the pieces as best I could. Just about all that could be expected of Aurora's lore, I had and still have filled in for the most part.

Furthermore, irrelevant to actual lore writing, I've come to learn to 3D model pretty well over the years and I had at one point helped provide reference for a Hephaestus industrial mega-station as part of helping Cake. It never came to be used but I'll gladly try to help out where I can with Blender. As well as that, I'd like to think I'm half decent at spriting and could contribute with these skills on the side where needed.

Examples of Past Work: This one's a bit tricky, as there's a huge amount of stuff I could share from my writing, to my models, to sprites and more. The vast majority of which I'd rather not put on the forums, but I'll gladly pick and choose what to give out to whoever asks for it over PM, so long as it's relevant.

Preferred Mode of Communication (Skype, Steam, etc.): Discord @ noodle_buster#1934 preferably.

Additional Comments: Please give as much criticism as you feel is needed. This is the first time I've tried involving myself in the community this way in my 3(?) or so years playing and I'm pretty excited to see how it'll turn out.

I have spoken with you about lore and things on multiple occasions. You strike me as very passionate about the quality and content of lore, synthetics included. I have some questions here, just to garner some more information about a few specific things.

What is trivial lore (or even, trivial information) to you? I'm not asking you to criticize the lore here for an answer (I mean, unless you really want to), just provide a made up example.

Will you be able to function and work with a team? While lore writers have their own sort of little areas to work on, developments involving others writers are very common. You should have an ability to share work and provide criticism from an objective point of view on others' works.

3D modelling is great, but how well can you use these programs to provide 2D illustrations? As I brought up in another application, I am in need of flair.

Would you still be interested and invested in developing lore for synthetics if the direction they were being taken in did not fully align to your wishes? To clarify, I don't mean completely different. That depends on your opinion of the direction the lore should be taken in. 'Fully' can mean any sort of disagreement.

Would you be able to log into the server for at least 2 hours at a planned point in time? This is in case I need the deputy to assist in an event. Events requiring assistance like this probably won't ever be spur-of-the-moment, and will have set dates.

What is trivial lore (or even, trivial information) to you? I'm not asking you to criticize the lore here for an answer (I mean, unless you really want to), just provide a made up example.

Trivial lore is whatever will never be touched in role play. In my head, it's different from bad lore - both can be made in good spirits, and trivial lore may even be interesting - but there is absolutely no point in my mind to make lore which will A. not affect the universe at all or B. contribute to a centralized story which will have nothing in the way of player involvement. One thing I've been vocal about on the server is how much I love Vox lore - it is very short and straightforward, and the uniqueness of the Vox both on the server and in SS13 as a game allows players to make consistent characters while playing out their own unique and interesting story. It is ultimately a race which should be untouched - and lacks very little in the way of trivial lore. This logic, of course, should not just apply to racial wiki pages - things like planets, corporations, locations and other major things can easily be made pointless by excessive long-winded pages or repetition.

Will you be able to function and work with a team? While lore writers have their own sort of little areas to work on, developments involving others writers are very common. You should have an ability to share work and provide criticism from an objective point of view on others' works.

Yes. There's no I in team.

3D modelling is great, but how well can you use these programs to provide 2D illustrations? As I brought up in another application, I am in need of flair.

To be honest, I'm learning. Any excuse to start working on it again is fine by me and I can definitely provide whatever you want, given time and specifics.

Would you still be interested and invested in developing lore for synthetics if the direction they were being taken in did not fully align to your wishes? To clarify, I don't mean completely different. That depends on your opinion of the direction the lore should be taken in. 'Fully' can mean any sort of disagreement.

Absolutely. One of the things I like the most about roleplaying on the server is that I'm constantly out of my comfort zone - not everything is exactly how I want it always, and it helps reflect it onto my characters. Working with conflicting opinions and reaching middle grounds is incredibly healthy for a team. I figure that line of thought would help greatly, as the lore developers should work for and alongside the community, not against them.

Would you be able to log into the server for at least 2 hours at a planned point in time? This is in case I need the deputy to assist in an event. Events requiring assistance like this probably won't ever be spur-of-the-moment, and will have set dates.

99% of the time, yes. I very rarely have anything important to do but if I actually get a schedule to abide by, I'll inform you.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

Your application has been discussed with members of my team and you've got a gold star from admins. Cake has been very supportive of your app as well. I also support your mindset on 'trivial lore' and your general work ethic and plan of action.

As a whole you have a good application and we will be happy to accept you as a deputy for synthetic lore development!