[Accepted] Sleepy's Unathi Lore Dev App

Ckey/BYOND Username: Sleepy Wolf

Position Being Applied For Unathi Deputy Lore Dev

Past Experiences/Knowledge: Mostly making characters that stress the lines of what they are on the wiki, while still being believable! I've helped with a lot of the Unathi lore in the past, drawn a ton of stuff, and made a lot of my own characters stories while playing along with narrative and flow! I've been Diona loredev for a few months on this server and really enjoyed contributing to the lore team.

Examples of Past Work: I fixed up a lot of the timeline issues about 9 months ago with Dionaea, helped them feel less disconnected from the other races. I collaborated with the other devs to find out a better timeline for them, and make a bit of the cluttered mess that was their wiki before into less of a 'We're here now, oh no wait, we're here! Oh right, and this happened 150 years ago but it didn't matter.'

Most of my examples of past work are my characters, they're snowflakey characters for sure but they fit into the lore - it helps you find out how far you can expand your own lore and what starts to feel not involved in our lore. If you push the boundaries with your characters, you can set the boundaries better and find out what things should and shouldn't be in lore! A good example is Aez Goldhorn, a Dominian pirate turned Si'akh. and thus hated by both Dominia and most of the Hegemony. This is not at ALL the traditional Unathi character, but playing all the extremes you can in your lore lets you say 'hey, if you're THIS kind of extreme you're most likely to be THIS kinda person', and it lets you streamline it for other people that aren't as good at thinking of those exotic eccentric characters!

Additional Comments: I have a lot of ideas and know a lot of where the lore is going (i think) and so, i'd really enjoy being back on the team. also i've been up for a while now please excuse any grammar mistakes or run on sentences.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for your application.

in your conduct as an artist working with me, you've hidden the Loss meme within multiple commissioned pieces, one of which is an official image on the wiki. This sort of conduct is something that I would immediately accept this application over, but have chosen to opt towards other sources of merit.

Please respond to each of the following questions with 1 - 3 paragraphs. The italicized portions are just context.

How do you feel about each of the major Unathi religions, and what dynamic do you see between them?

Sk'akh has the most political power, and is domineering to other faiths. Is this a good dynamic for the religions?

How many major factions would you want to portray within the lore/on the wiki?

Currently there are only three major factions within the narrative - the Sk'akh Church, Ouerea, and the Hegemony. The independents of Moghes and the Wastelanders are not given as much face time. Should this change? If so, why?

How do you feel about 'outlier' Unathi?

There are Unathi roboticists, albino Unathi, azure unathi, and azure unathi female roboticists. How strict should we be about these?

We have a few plot threads running as part of our Living Lore narrative. What sort of stories do you want to tell with the Unathi?

Ouerea is being feisty about going its own way, and the sk'akh church is becoming increasingly ferocious in its fight against heretics and cultists.

What are the most distinctive aspects of the Unathi as a playable race?

What do Unathi offer that other species do not?

Hello,

hi

in your conduct as an artist working with me, you've hidden the Loss meme within multiple commissioned pieces, one of which is an official image on the wiki. This sort of conduct is something that I would immediately accept this application over, but have chosen to opt towards other sources of merit.

god you Spooked me

How do you feel about each of the major Unathi religions, and what dynamic do you see between them?

Sk'akh has the most political power, and is domineering to other faiths. Is this a good dynamic for the religions?

WELL, the relationship between the three religions do have a good dynamic because of how antagonizing they can be to each other, and how they are also so similar. The Maraziites are a key role in the Sk'akh faith, and they're domineering and even hold a grasp on the neck of the Hegemony. You can make a character non-domineering and forceful in the Sk'akh religion for sure, have Th'akh, Sk'akh, and Si'akh all holding hand in hand happily sharing stories about their ancestors, how they're all gonna be so happy when they die. the turmoil is in the nations and people that see gain in the aggression on others. Sk'akh hates Th'akh because it's heretical and some denominations of Th'akh have bloodmagic-ish shit (in my mind) and a lot of sk'akh believers must have steryotypes for what Th'akh are. Si'akh is just a madlad doomsday boy that goes around yelling to be good to thy neighbor and running from maraziites, and the Th'akh believers just kinda nod and smile and be happy he's not a maraziite.

How many major factions would you want to portray within the lore/on the wiki?

Currently there are only three major factions within the narrative - the Sk'akh Church, Ouerea, and the Hegemony. The independents of Moghes and the Wastelanders are not given as much face time. Should this change? If so, why?

this SHOULD change in my opinion. there's been a few times it's definitely seems like it was going to change, (Akhanzi boys being run out, that one raid that happened a few months ago on terraforming equipment). Unathi are one of the most in-depth species for the reason they have all these places to come from, and it actually does feel like different parts of a world. There is a point where you can get too in-depth, with too many options or too conveluted lore, but the main storylines we have/can make are all simple and understandable. The Contact war happened, one side won and the other side is supposed to be super dead. This is very simple, and there's so much that can be made to continue the on-planet storyline even with just that. We've talked about a few ways to expand on the independent factions before, and the best way is to show the embers becoming ash, being thrown around in the wind with no more ability to retaliate. It'll allow a deeper look into the Coalition, and how it is now. A morbid obituary for the last living clans could be made on the Wasteland Window, broadcasting which clan was killed off, run out into the wasteland, or turned into raiders this week.

How do you feel about 'outlier' Unathi?

There are Unathi roboticists, albino Unathi, azure unathi, and azure unathi female roboticists. How strict should we be about these?

Well, this IS Tau Ceti. All the outliers come to the system of all cultures. We should only be strict about them becoming issues when they become issues. If there's a Unathi roboticist, I'd totally talk to them about a few ways to Unathi-ize their work! They could 'bless' every little nut and bolt they work into a synthetic, and if they're saying synths are people, we do enforce the fact with most of our lore that they can be discriminated against, even reminding the player that they would be discriminated against in Unathi society. If worse comes to worse and someone steps way too far out of lore bounds, (for ex, dating a robot), we can tell them to stop that or else we'll enforce actions.

Although I'm REALLY fond of outlier characters and the ideas you can make with them, we still do have a sorta main 'idea' and don't want to have a 'Vorestation' aesthetic to our world, with characters that don't fit into the lore at all.

We have a few plot threads running as part of our Living Lore narrative. What sort of stories do you want to tell with the Unathi?

Ouerea is being feisty about going its own way, and the sk'akh church is becoming increasingly ferocious in its fight against heretics and cultists.

I plan to give life to those amorphous faces that are being 'removed' from their lands by the Izweski, making them more than just a single line of text that a skilled player can make a backstory from for sure, but I want to make something someone who's just applying now would read and be like, 'Imperial hating traditionalist person that was forced off their land for a new parking lot? Heck yeah I wanna do that!'

What are the most distinctive aspects of the Unathi as a playable race?

What do Unathi offer that other species do not?

Unathi have their heroism-inspired society. Every kid is raised and told, 'You can be a hero if you try hard enough.' Their stories are idealistic and their honour code seeps into every aspect of their life. The religious wars, the notable heroes and villains (even though that's ambiguous as one persons hero is always someone elses villain in our lores), the hardcore traditionalist versus the more progressive traditionalists. Some of these things can definitely be in other species, but the honour code is something that's the most iconic. It's the root of all warfare, all society, all religion. Their honour code is what makes their religion different from the Dominian religion.

I wrote this all out over a long while and I spoke with you over a few things that might have changed during this!

Heyo sleepy, I got an absolute unit of a question for you.

What do you want?

Everyone who joins lore (as far as I know) has had wanted to do SOMETHING to a species, be it as minor as more quality control to something as big as making an entire new line of sprites and mechanics.

So what are you planning to influence Jackboots on? Further I'd like to ask IF JB was kidnapped by the Brazilian Mafia and seceeded his position to you.

What would you do with the unathi species? Would you plan to change anything or let it rest like this?

i really enjoy the storytelling aspect you can make in lore. the world is already set for me to create these interesting arcs with weaving political ideals and stories, and me throwing fertilizer of ideas into the writing power that is jackboot. SURe, i could continue as i do now and just talk to jackboot alone, but being part of the team would be so FUN and add another layer for me to talk with the whole lore team about ideas. i would love to delve into all the things you listed as well, sprites (Dronz is doing some pretty good ones, and i have done some maraziite garb in the past that could be added to the loadouts,) heck i would love to even add my own little religious tales of how Sk'akh threw a spear from the sky and it struck the top of a mountain, where the rocks were thrown down and morphed into the body of a modern Sinta, or some deviation of that in Th'akh faith where the first spirits molded a unathi body from clay, let it rest on a rock under the Burning Mother, and then posessed it to be alive. i have a lot of ideas to just add more old-tale notable unathi, and other misc junk!

anyways if jackboot were murdered as soon as i gained the position (long live jackboot) i wouldn't change the world dramatically, he has it where i want it. i would move forward in the arcs, have political dynamics shift maybe, and i would ask for a lore deputy that's good at writing to help put the fruits of my creativity to cohesive paragraphs.

fertilizer of ideas

The tongue-in-cheek implication that your ideas are poop. Hilarious, not kidding there.

Sleeper Werf's a wonderful fellow to have in this community and he's generally not a confrontational individual nor does he create issues by himself. He's got a creative cutting edge to him and I'd wholeheartedly recommend him be the Unathi lore deputy as he's got swell amounts of spirit and talent for writing fun characters.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Why does Coalf always ask people what they'd do if I mysteriously disappeared???

Regardless, you know the Unathi species very well. I know you are productive, determined, and have a good work ethic and investment in the species. You have even received the praise of Delta; a rarely seen blessing.

Application accepted.