[Accepted] EVE's CCIA Application

CCIA Staff Application

Basic Information

Byond key: AlFalah

Character names:Evangeline Du Couteu, E.V.E the Android

Timezone: EST(currently), GMT+2 (changes pretty much once per three months)

What times are you most available?: Usually before noon, after 7pm on weekdays, almost the entire day of Saturday.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Around two months now, maybe three.

How long have you played on Aurora?: The same amount.

How active on the forums, discord and/or server are you? I’m not extremely active on the forums, and have used it for apps 95% of the time. I’m almost always accessible via Discord, and am active in pretty much almost any Aurora-related chat I’m in.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Not really.

Have you ever volunteered as moderation staff for any other servers, SS13 or otherwise?: I’ve been an Application Moderator on another roleplaying server on another platform, which is not too relevant to actual moderating, but it involved a fair bit of forum work where we’d whitelist applicants to the server, after judging their character’s backstories, their knowledge of the lore, make sure they’ve solid strengths and weaknesses, et cetera. I believe this experience may give me an advantage in handling IRs, as I have learned how to properly organize information, review it, and provide feedback if required.

Do you have any other experience that you believe would be relevant to a position in the CCIA?: I’m a Wiki Developer on the server, which again, requires one to sort and review information. I’ve been an actor in few few events of the server, and played the role of an important character, and made sure everything went smooth without going out of character for convenience. I’ve also DM’d for few DnD campaigns, and am alright with playing a pawn of the overseeing organisation.

Personality

Why do you want to join the CCIA?: As I’ve heard, there’s been a lack of CCIAs, especially in my timezone back in Europe. As someone with prior experience in playing the right hand of the Big Brother, I’d be more than glad to help out by taking a part of the responsibility myself. I also like the idea of IRs, where it is unlike most other procedures I’ve seen, where IRs and whatnot would be handled OOCly. Instead, Aurora’s CCIA forms reports, collects evidence and interviews witnesses, victims and whatnot, and ICly takes actions, even though the consequences might be OOC.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?: CCIA Agents are needed to be biased, both IC and OOC, as well as extremely cautious as they’ve little to no room for error. They are required to be patient while dealing with players, and also mature when dealing with in-round problems.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?:

To act as Central Command, attendto faxes, and stay in contact with the IAA in round via faxes, respond to situation reports, call ERT and/or an emergency shuttle if prompted by them, etc. If required, they can also invite people involved in IRs for interviews about the event in ODIN.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is outside of the server?:

Essentially handling IRs on the forums, get in touch with the players of the people who were involved in IRs using either Discord or Byond messages and schedule IC interviews, regulate IC via Directives, and act as Central Command.

How do you handle stress?:

I’m easily stressed, but hardly panicked. I believe stress actually improves my concentration, even if it inhibits creativity and whatnot. I’ve rarely reached the point of stress where It’d prevent me from working efficiently, and even then, I just take a moment to breathe.

How well do you work autonomously?:

Rather well. I tend to plan far ahead, and go over one thing at a time. My only weakness in working alone is the learning procedure. I’d say I’m an average learner, and may require aid until I’m sure I’m doing everything perfectly.

Additional Notes:

Eve, you're an alright Wiki Dev and in DMs I think you're ok.

In groups, on server, or in character, I absolutely dread seeing you online. You drive me up a wall. I don't find your jokes funny. I don't find your characters interesting or believable half the time. You are the prime reason I left the engineering discord and one of the big ones I left the Relay (again) with how annoying you act.

Now perhaps I am extremely bias. Despite what some believe, I understand I am not a perfect person nor a perfect judge of character. Maybe you get accepted and prove me wrong. You act in a way that doesn't drive me out of a window, you don't ping people unnecessarily a dozen times a day, you don't post inappropriate pictures, and you just do your job well.

Time will tell. As for now I strongly disagree with accepting this app.

EDIT:

I will be changing my stance from strongly disagree to just being more neutral with a general negative opinion. Mostly due to personal opinions. If Eve can remain professional then they do deserve a chance.

Edited by Guest

I do not want to sound defensive, but I do not think I agree with what you're saying.

Yes, I do ping people and mess around with them, and I've stretched/broken the inappropriate picture rule twice, but the last thing I'd do is to actively seek for someone's discomfort, and the day you told me that you did not like the way I posted, I've never pinged you ever since.

But it doesn't really change the fact that the servers that I 'make you dread seeing me online' are all non-professional chats. If you wish to see how I behave in a professional environment, feel free to check the staff Discord's wiki group. I do play around, but when it comes to work, I rarely even think about it.

Apart from that IC is IC, and I'm not changing how my character behaves unless something was to happen RPly, but so far it hasn't. Either way, I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable, I'll pay more attention to how I speak around you.

I don't entirely agree with Ally's sentiment here. Sure I've seen Eve in the more public mediums joke around, yes they've been struck twice, but I don't think it's that bad to discount them the possibility of a trial.

Per my own interactions. Publicly, we've joked and messed around. Privately, in casual conversations or in a more "serious scope, they've been able to keep the proper demeanor and mannerism. It gives me the belief that they more often than not, know the time and place for jokes, and the time and place for a serious composure on thing.

So I believe, per my own interaction with them that they're suitable for a trial and I believe they'll do quite well with it. You have my support. Also, praise Syn.

Edit:

That being said, I'd prefer if this was the last time you'd receive a strike on the discord.

my two cents, Eve is pretty capable of separating shitposting mode vs actual serious stuff mode.

I always went along with the pub discord, serial pinging, shitposting, i find the jokes funny, so I may be a bit biased. But in DMs and other "serious" means of comms and subjects, Eve takes a professional stance. Sure she may joke around but that depends on how you have previously interacted (our DMs are full of serious to-the-point discussions, but also full of shitposting in it because we get along well)

I'd give my +1. Eve separates things very well and I believe they can take up the responsibility.

As I’ve heard, there’s been a lack of CCIAs, especially in my timezone back in Europe.

While it would be nice to have more European hour coverage, you mentioned to me last night that you're studying in the states on EST, which is my timezone and that of several others. Which parts of the year will you have that European time zone availability?

I don't think someone with a sense of humor and an eccentric shitposting nature disqualifies them in terms of qualities that staff look for.

Edit: To elaborate, even if they're a little obnoxious at times it's really not that huge of a flaw, I find them still pleasant to talk with whether they're shitposting or not. I'm sure everyone has an off-day where they're extremely irritable and I'll confess that I am an irritable person, and that's the only reason as to why I'd ever see them as annoying at times. They're otherwise just fine of a person, and I think this would serve as a good opportunity.

Edited by Guest

As I’ve heard, there’s been a lack of CCIAs, especially in my timezone back in Europe.

While it would be nice to have more European hour coverage, you mentioned to me last night that you're studying in the states on EST, which is my timezone and that of several others. Which parts of the year will you have that European time zone availability?

In around three months, I’ll be returning to my European tomezone. And through the summer I shouldn’t move much from GMT+2/GMT+3.

Interview with the applicant:

[9:14 PM] Eve: o7

[9:14 PM] Eve: Reaaady

[9:17 PM] Synnono: Alrighty. We ask a few situational questions to get a feel for your judgement, and a few broader questions to determine your priorities and method when handling some things.

[9:17 PM] Synnono: Answer with the information you're given, to the best of your ability:

[9:18 PM] Synnono: 1. During a round of Ninja, you are faxed by Station Command inquiring about an “inspector” who claims to have been sent by the company to evaluate each of the station's departments. How do you respond, and why?

[9:21 PM] Eve: Well, I'd quickly make sure that the round is not an event, respond to the fax with one of my own which asks them if they've meant the IAA. And, if not, that there were no scheduled external inspectors sent at that time. Both points in a single fax, that is.

[9:22 PM] Eve: Buut, this is one of those situations where I'd ask someone in the CCIA to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong.

[9:22 PM] Synnono: Why are you responding in that way?

[9:24 PM] Eve: Well, it doesn't make sense for a station who has a Command-tier job for being an inspector, who has their own tools and authorities to review departments and whatnot to send someone unannounced to do exactly their duties. (bonus points if they claim being an inspector in a RIG)

[9:25 PM] Synnono: 2. During a round of Crossfire, you are faxed by Station Command about a team of mercenaries who have reported a band of pirates operating in the area. They wish to offer their services to the station as additional security. Command is asking you for your advice on the situation. How do you respond, and why?

[9:30 PM] Eve: Well, NanoTrasen would not be too happy to hire mercenaries and house them inside their station without evaluating them and whatnot, as NT has an additional security measure on its own, which is the ERT. I'd say that the mercenaries can respond to the pirate however they liked, but will not be compensated by NT for their efforts.

[9:30 PM] Eve: And the mercenaries can do their thing outside of the station.

[9:32 PM] Eve: And I'm noot really sure about this, but I may want to mention that they can trade personal property (not NT equipment) to the mercs to perhaps pay for the people themselves.

[9:32 PM] Eve: So I wouldn'tve killed the entire RP situation.

[9:32 PM] Synnono: Alright.

[9:32 PM] Synnono: 3. You receive an Emergency Broadcast System message from the station’s Artificial Intelligence. It claims that there is an emergency situation, and requests an immediate ERT deployment. How do you respond?

[9:33 PM] Eve: Fax the Command members on the manifest requesting an immediate situation report, which includes the AI's ERT request and asks for the purpose of the broadcast.

[9:33 PM] Eve: Aand, if no one responds in fifteen minutes, send ERT.

[9:34 PM] Eve: Probably not exactly fifteen but, you get the idea.

[9:35 PM] Synnono: Why's this again?

[9:36 PM] Eve: Well, the communication between the AI and Central is almost entirely limited to the Broadcast, and

[9:36 PM] Eve: they can't call ERT on their own, however:

[9:37 PM] Eve: No reason given, no details, nothing. The ERT is just another expense for the NT, and their time is valuable.

[9:37 PM] Eve: And in an emergency situation, if it was direly important, Command would most likely not be able to respond to the faxes.

[9:38 PM] Eve: This'd also create RP for the antags, if there are any, to outsmart the AI, and fax Central using a Command-level ID.

[9:39 PM] Synnono: 4. You receive a fax from the Internal Affairs Agent, who claims that the Captain has been abusing his authority by removing all of the vending machines from the station and has demoted an engineer for littering. How do you respond?

[9:41 PM] Eve: Send the Captain a fax, asking about the details of the situation. If they do persist without reasoning, send another fax, warning them that their abuse of powers will lead to their shift-long suspension.

[9:42 PM] Eve: If they respond like "Oh, didn't you send the order?" or something, it's most likely that traitor/rev fake-Central broadcast thing.

[9:42 PM] Eve: In that case I'd indicate that no such order has been given, but I wouldn't really say "Oh broadcaster device, hmhm... Someone on the station's sabotaging you."

[9:43 PM] Eve: I'd either say it must've been a technical error, or that it might've been a message for another station that's relayed incorrectly.

[9:44 PM] Synnono: Okay, and like the rest of the questions, what's your reasoning here?

[9:45 PM] Eve: Well, if the Captain is arresting someone for a rule that doesn't exist in the Corporate Regulations, that's pretty much illegal, and the vending machine story also is.

[9:46 PM] Eve: But at the same time, I'd like to be careful that my actions aren't antag-killing, you know what I mean?

[9:46 PM] Eve: If there's a traitor and is messing with a broadcaster, and if I said that it was an active sabotage by someone on the station, valids would come fast.

[9:47 PM] Synnono: As a follow up to the above, what is your understanding of the Captain's authority on the station?

[9:47 PM] Eve: Though I doubt the vending machine thing is illegal, I was wrong about that.

[9:48 PM] Eve: But arresting someone for something that doesn't fit Corporate Regulations, if not illegal, is still worrying.

[9:49 PM] Eve: Hence the first fax to inquire about what's going on, on the Captain's part.

[9:49 PM] Eve: Oh, yep.

[9:49 PM] Eve: The Captain for arrest anyone.

[9:50 PM] Eve: So now that I think about it, it's not really abuse of power.

[9:50 PM] Eve: So I'd be stuck in between sending the first fax to ask about what's going on and not sending it, and would probably ask someone more experienced in the CCIA before choosing.

[9:51 PM] Synnono: No-one is available. What do you do, and why?

[9:52 PM] Eve: I'd tell the IAA that the Captain has complete authority on the station, and that NT trusts them with their actions.

[9:52 PM] Eve: If there are any other concerns regarding their actions, they should be spoken to the Captain or Central after said orders are carried out.

[9:53 PM] Eve: Because yeah, I was wrong. The Captain can shut down departments and everything, and is loyalty implanted.

[9:54 PM] Eve: And what they're doing doesn't sound like abuse of power, and there most likely is a rational reason behind it.

[9:56 PM] Synnono: Okay. That's the last of the round-situational questions.

[9:57 PM] Synnono: 5. In your opinion, how much of a role should Central Command play in the affairs of the station? When is it appropriate for them to directly intervene, and how much should they attempt to shape the round when they do?

[9:58 PM] Eve: Central shouldn't be played as a role above Captain, who carries out direct orders and all. They are to be contacted when something needs to be clarified, or when their guidance is required.

[9:58 PM] Eve: If not faxed or contact somehow else, or if the station hasn't been on Red Alert on a long while without a situation report, they shouldn't contact the station.

[10:00 PM] Eve: They are not to shape the round in any way apart from sending ERT, emergency evacuation, and/or requesting people to mind the Station Directives.

[10:01 PM] Synnono: 6. What do you believe is the purpose of the Incident Report system?

[10:02 PM] Eve: They're essentially an IC version of player reports, and I really do like the idea of them.

[10:03 PM] Eve: They're used in cases where the occurring issue isn't really severe OOCly to alert the modmins, but are still not light enough for the offender's employers to disregard.

[10:04 PM] Eve: They offer the players RP consequence, and if they wish, a chance to develop their character with demotions, therapies and whatnot.

[10:05 PM] Synnono: 7. In resolving an Incident Report, when should a character receive significant disciplinary action (such as a demotion), as opposed to a lighter response such as a warning or retraining? Under what circumstances would you consider terminating a character's employment?

[10:07 PM] Eve: If they are compliant, and if the character accepts that their behavior has caused issues and wish to change, a warning or a retraining appear more fit.

[10:07 PM] Eve: Unless their crime is too severe to be retrained for.

[10:09 PM] Eve: If the character has failed to perform their job's requirements, and if they are obviously new to the thing, and require training, a demotion would be more fit.

[10:09 PM] Eve: Where they can be promoted again to the position they wanted.

[10:09 PM] Eve: I.E, Engineering Apprentice to Station Engineer.

[10:10 PM] Eve: However, if they blatantly lie to the CCIA, or refuse to speak to them about the matter all together, a termination would be almost guaranteed after a warning.

[10:11 PM] Synnono: To clarify the original question, what constitutes a termination offense to you?

[10:12 PM] Eve: If they've went out of their way to commit crime, basically.

[10:13 PM] Eve: But the most severe ones, I'd use the Corporate Regulations' red list for reference myself.

[10:13 PM] Eve: If they are not antagonists, that is.

[10:13 PM] Eve: Which is the point of IRs but,-

[10:13 PM] Eve: yep.

[10:14 PM] Synnono: 8. After taking an IR of your own and completing your interviews, you find that an officer escalated to a forceful arrest when a crewmember resisted detainment. The original reason for the arrest is deemed invalid, however, the officer argues that in resisting arrest the crewman legitimized the detainment. What is the best way to resolve this case?

[10:14 PM] Eve: Well, even if the arrest was false, resisting arrest is against the corporate regulations.

[10:15 PM] Eve: What the crewmember should've done was to accept arrest, and then speak their issues to security personnel.

[10:15 PM] Eve: So, the security appears to be in the right here.

[10:20 PM] Synnono: 9. In your application, you wrote that CCIA Agents need to biased, both IC and OOC. Why?

[10:20 PM] Eve: Oh wait, did I?

[10:21 PM] Eve: I've meant the opposite.

[10:21 PM] Eve: My bad, I can explain why, though.

[10:21 PM] Synnono: e9b9c7834f6964194d148f364dc34b7f.png?width=881&height=86

[10:21 PM] Eve: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I should fix that.

[10:21 PM] Synnono: Go ahead and explain how you meant, though

[10:22 PM] Eve: Well, if an Agent knew OOCly what happened.

[10:22 PM] Eve: And if they knew person A was guilty, and assaulted person B.

[10:23 PM] Eve: But, if the evidence at hand didn't really lead up to a solid conclusion that person A is in fact, guilty

[10:23 PM] Eve: They'd be required to not use their OOC knowledge influence their action as a CCIA agent.

[10:24 PM] Eve: And ICly, they are required to not commit favoritism, since their decisions are trusted by NT to be just, accurate and sufficient.

[10:33 PM] Synnono: Alright. Lastly:

10. One of the goals of the CCIA group is to counter community distrust toward the moderation and admin staff by providing a separate, in-character means of conflict resolution. How do you respond to people who have concerns about the example you set as a player in the community? Is there anything you'd like to change about your own conduct?

[10:35 PM] Eve: Well I try to be completely open to feedback, even if I don't agree with what's said.

[10:36 PM] Eve: In that case, I'd not have any problem offering my reason of why I do think they're wrong, as it can be seen in my replies on my CCIA application, and my many other forum posts.

[10:37 PM] Eve: As a person, I'm not really fit to be an example to the community, but I'll try to be one by bettering myself.

[10:37 PM] Eve: Be it acting more mature, or paying more attention not to disturb people, or change the way I process anything.

[10:39 PM] Synnono: Alright. In that case, that's all I have for you! That was a lot of me asking you questions. Do you have anything for me?(edited)

[10:39 PM] Eve: I'm good, thanks for your time. o/

[10:39 PM] Synnono: Thanks.

I haven't had much interaction with you aside from seeing E.V.E and your C.E and you seem fine ICly. OOCly I understand others concerns but I don't think that should bar you from a trial. The application is fine, although maybe a bit short in some areas. In the interview you have the right idea although there's a few things that could be fixed when you know the proper procedure.

• 1 month later...