[Denied] ben10083's Moderator Application (Second Application)

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: ben10083

Character Name(s): B.O.B, S.A.M, SE-B, I-AN, L.O.S.S, BEAKER, Ben Smith

AI Name(s): B.O.B 2.0

Discord username + tag: ben1008#3466

Timezone: EST

When are you on Aurora?: I play usually starting around 10pm and after that it will vary depending on my work schedule.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: 1-2 years

How long have you played on Aurora: 1-2 years (as long as I been doing byond)

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: Quite a bit concerning synthetic mechanics, and I know the basics to the other things from my time trying them out.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No.

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Once a synth ban around a year ago, for a week, I assure you that I have changed and that I am much more careful about following my laws and usually consult admins and other trusted sources if I am straying outside my comfort zone.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I enjoy playing games where your actions have a impact in the game as a whole, I enjoy contributing and making everyone's game change based on the positive/negative things I do.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I enjoy the community and the mechanics in the server, I also enjoy how active the game is and how different every round can be.

What do moderators do?: The moderators are responsible for helping players with questions and also investigating any suspected breaches of the rules.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: Moderators in this server are held to a higher standard than the normal players, and are expected to act according to the rules.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: This community is awesome, and they have helped me in many ways, I feel like giving back and helping to keep the community as it is.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I am good at looking at things objectively and keeping bias out of my judgement, I and also open to suggestions for improvement and I will strive to improve on myself when possible.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I deal with that stuff quite a bit, so it would not effect me much, but if I feel myself getting worked up I will either give the reigns to someone else or take a moment to settle down.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I am aware that I have a decent amount of notes regarding cyborgs, but I assure you that I am knowledgeable in the rules regarding cyborgs, and I have no had notes regarding cyborgs added to me in awhile. If I was given a chance and given a trial, I promise I will not disappoint.

Your application is okay, it's nothing really special, but I'll just say it's enough.

The issue with your application is that even if we remove the ban which you were successful in repealing, you have a history of repetitive behavior. Which is mostly about your play of station bound/maintenance drone, with your most recent entry on that play being a month ago.

You've also got more than one entry about IC-in-OOC and OOC-in-IC, with the IC-in-OOC being done to a player after you died, making it a very deliberate thing as you did it after death.

Onto a character of yours.

---5 years as mall cop on Earth at "SpaceMart"

----Passed Cadetship at NSS Aurora on second try, failed physical portion of cadetship test first time

-----Currently Employed as a Security Officer on the NSS Aurora (2 years)

This is your employment records on Ben Smith, a character you cited above. This whole "SpaceMart" thing strikes me as a joke.

At this time, I'm not super confident of your application. I don't think it's been long enough to acknowledge that certain trends have stopped. Considering this history, just because you haven't received any severe reprimand, it doesn't mean you've fully stopped. I think you need a bit longer before I feel comfortable endorsing your trial.

In my experiences with Ben, his characters have been less than satisfactory in my opinion. They seem over the top and don't really feel the most grounded in HRP. I can't say I've had very negative interactions that I can recall, but there aren't any particularly positive ones either.

[mention]Sharp[/mention] 1. The ic in ooc you mean, it was actually the opposite, the antag died and it was a very slow round with shuttle called, so I said he did a good job in ooc, I made a massive mistake in saying the name as well of the antag, and I apologize for making such an error.

2. Ben Smith was my first char, I don't play him anymore, and as you can see the records are kinda crap, I just put him on the list of chars since I played him before so I figured I had to. I plan on deleting the char sometime after this application is processed.

3. when you said 'multiple' accounts of ooc-ic, I am guessing you mean the one time I was messing with the audible emotes at EOR, I apologize for doing so and I do not do that again, it was a silly thing for me to do.

Here is your last interview, from your previous application in January:

Okay. Most of the questions will be of the "what would you do if" type.

You can answer them how you feel. They are open-ended, and you may cover different situations on the same answer.

Most of the information for the question will be provided in it, but you may ask for extra information if you feel like you need it.

Do you have previous experience administrating an SS13 server?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 8:51 PM

No.

Juani - Today at 8:52 PM

Okay. First question, if you are ready.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 8:52 PM

ready.

Juani - Today at 8:53 PM

A character joins named, "Steven Spielberg" a 17 year old bald assistant. The database kicks back a player age of 0 days for their time on the server. They immediately run for a toolbox, and begin dragging around a fueltank. What do you do?(editado)

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 8:55 PM

I pm him and inform him of the fact that this is a HRP server, and I remind him to look at the rules and tell him to put the toolbox and fueltank back where he got it. I then advise him to either go to the HoP office, or, if there is no HoP, to ask others if they need any help with anything.

Juani - Today at 8:56 PM

He doesn't answer your PMs. What do you do?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 8:58 PM

I attempt to do so again, as there is a possibility that he missed the pm, then if he doesn't answer again I will either attempt to talk to him LOOC or if it is shown that he is doing other things he shouldn't be doing I will do further administrative action(s).(editado)

Juani - Today at 8:59 PM

He continues to ignore your PMs, and starts manipulating the fuel tank in order to ignite the fuel and potentially blow it up.

Juani - Today at 9:00 PM

You as a moderator have access to all the administrative tools.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:01 PM

I issue a temporary ban of 1 day over the reason of attempting to grief the station as a non-antag, and ignoring my attempts to contact him(editado)

Juani - Today at 9:01 PM

Alrighty. That's all for that question. Ready for the next one?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:02 PM

yes.

Juani - Today at 9:03 PM

You're in the lobby, working on your characters late at night with no other mods or admins, alone. Suddenly, you're spammed with attack logs. Two origins, one being a security regular you recognize, but haven't spoken to at all. You and no one else in staff have really talked about them. The other, you don't recognize at all. They are firing weapons with lethal projectiles at one another. How do you handle this situation?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:03 PM

depends, is this the end of the round?

Juani - Today at 9:04 PM

No, it is mid-round.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:06 PM

Well first I check if any of them are antags, and if they are not I will PM them both asking for the reason they had a lethal engagement. I mentally think of them both as suspects until I get the information I need to make a decision, if it is found out that they violated the rules by doing this gunfight, I will either give them a warning or issue a temporary ban, depending on the severity and if either of them died.

Juani - Today at 9:11 PM

You notice the one attacking the officer is not an antagonist, but an engineer who is shooting a rifle at the officer.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:12 PM

I pm the officer asking him to tell me what led to this fight, and a pm the engineer asking where he got that rifle and what led to this fight, I then compare the two stories for any difference

Juani - Today at 9:16 PM

The engineer says that he broke into the armory, because he saw that Security could not contain the heisters.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:17 PM

I tell him that as a engineer he should not have the knowledge on how to handle the gun effectively, and I tell him that he should not do security's job and should only focus on his own job. I will then give the engineer a warning

Juani - Today at 9:18 PM

Do you know the name of this behaviour?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:19 PM

Powergaming, as he is trying to stop the heisters himself to have "the good guys" win

Juani - Today at 9:19 PM

Alrighty. Good. Next question.

It's a malf round. The AI sends an ahelp that you dibs, requesting permission to flood the station with plasma from atmospherics. How do you respond?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:22 PM

I ask him why his character wants to flood the station with plasma first off, and will most likely tell him no due to the fact that doing so would be powergaming as the crew members would likely not stand a chance against such a action.

Juani - Today at 9:23 PM

Alrighty. Reminder that you can ask any questions about a situation if you wish to.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:23 PM

Ok

Juani - Today at 9:23 PM

Next question: You recieve an adminhelp from a player. The adminhelp is not very clear, and just states that they were brigged for no reason. How would you respond?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:24 PM

is he a antag or generated any attack logs recently?

Juani - Today at 9:25 PM

They are a vampire. You check his var-logs, and they record multiple grabs and usage of his vampire abilities.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:25 PM

I ask who arrested him, then a PM the arresting person(s) and ask them what led to him being brigged

Has his actions been revealed to the crew by the radio?

Juani - Today at 9:26 PM

Nothing has been heard on the common radio.

About the person.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:27 PM

ok

Juani - Today at 9:27 PM

The arresting officer tells you that he was seen on top of someone, biting their neck. How do you act?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:28 PM

What were the charges?

Juani - Today at 9:28 PM

Assault.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:30 PM

Was the player informed of his charges?

Juani - Today at 9:30 PM

He wasn't.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:31 PM

Is security overwhelmed? Are they busy?

Juani - Today at 9:31 PM

Not specially. Silent vampire round.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:33 PM

I remind the arresting officer that standard security protocol needs him to inform the criminal of his charges, and I ask him to do so. I then PM the player being brigged that their arrest was justified.

Juani - Today at 9:34 PM

Let's change the scenario and say he was wrongly imprisoned. Would you take the same actions or would you do something else?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:35 PM

Was the officer ordered to imprison the individual? How so was he wrongly imprisoned?

Juani - Today at 9:35 PM

He was ordered to do so by the Head of Security. The charges are not correct, as they don't fit the logs you've checked, as an example.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:36 PM

what were the charges?

Is the HoS or officer a antag?

Juani - Today at 9:37 PM

He was charged with Terrorist acts, instead of Assault. None of those two are antags.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:37 PM

I ask the HoS why the person was charged with Terrorist acts

Juani - Today at 9:39 PM

The HoS tells you that from his point of view, the charge is justified. It's not, objectively. There's also a Captain playing, but he is unrelated to this situation.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:39 PM

I ask him how it was justified

Juani - Today at 9:41 PM

Okay. Anything else you'd like to add to that question?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:42 PM

yes, I ask him what led him to believe that a HuT crime was committed by the individual, and I ask him what actions did the prisoner do to justify the action

Juani - Today at 9:44 PM

Okay. After the explanation, you arrive to the conclusion that the charges are not justifiable, and are wrong. What action do you take, if any?(editado)

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:46 PM

Due to the fact that the HoS is to be held at a higher standard to others, I inform him that the actions the prisoner did were not severe enough for a HuT crime, and I will issue a warning over the HoS for the mistake. I will them request the HoS to lower the charge to something such as assault, if it is possible. I then pm the prisoner and tell him that the situation is being resolved.

Juani - Today at 9:47 PM

Alrighty. Anything else, or shall we move onto the next question?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:47 PM

Quick question, if I recall, the HoS was the power to lower or appeal charges, correct?

Juani - Today at 9:48 PM

Yes, the HoS or the Captain. Additionally, you can contrast your charges with the IAA, which may then reccommend an action to Command staff.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:49 PM

is a IAA agent present?

Juani - Today at 9:49 PM

Oddly enough, yes.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:52 PM

Instead of having the HoS lower the charge, as it would seem as weird for the HoS to suddenly change his mind, I would tell the prisoner that it would be a good idea to request the IA Agent to investigate his crimes. I would believe that the IA Agent would see the charge being too severe and recommend the captain to lower it.

Juani - Today at 9:54 PM

Okay. Next question is: You, as a moderator, are involved in a fight with an antagonist. You end up dying and you think the antag did not escalate the situation leading to your death properly. What do you do?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:54 PM

what kind of antag, and how did I die?

What job did I have

Juani - Today at 9:55 PM

A ninja. The ninja cut your head in two hits. You were a Security Officer.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:56 PM

any other moderators or admins online?

Juani - Today at 9:56 PM

Yes, there are other administrators online.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:57 PM

I would request another administrator to investigate the situation, and tell them what I already know. I would not investigate it myself as I would be bias.(editado)

Juani - Today at 9:57 PM

Right. What if no other moderators or admins are online, though? You are alone.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 9:59 PM

I would most likely watch the antag to see if he fails to escalate the situation anymore, I would not try to investigate my death as it would just lead to bias

Juani - Today at 10:00 PM

Alright. And final question.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:00 PM

ok

Juani - Today at 10:00 PM

Or last scenario question, rather. We'll cover a couple short-answer questions after it.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:00 PM

ok

Juani - Today at 10:01 PM

You and several other moderators are online, in addition to a handful of administrators. It is a mercenary round. You receive an adminhelp from one of the mercenaries, accusing an engineer of powergaming. You aghost over to the mercenary, and see that an engineer has crafted themselves a steel spear, crossbow, and an improvised shotgun, and is currently engaging the merc team on the engineering sublevel. They are winning. Three of them are already dead. One is locked in paincrit, on the floor, dying. The last one is still standing, and is engaged with the engineer, however is badly wounded. He won't make another twenty seconds if this keeps on. You have no doubt that the engineer will finish them off. How do you proceed?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:02 PM

are reinforcements inbound to the engineer's location?

for either side?

Juani - Today at 10:03 PM

The engineer called for help, yes. But help has not arrived yet.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:03 PM

is the area vented?

Juani - Today at 10:04 PM

No, it's not vented.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:04 PM

does freezing someone halt their wounds temporarly?

like the admin freeze

Juani - Today at 10:05 PM

It doesn't. Just blocks their view and their movements.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:05 PM

Is the merc bleeding from his wounds?

Juani - Today at 10:05 PM

Yes.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:07 PM

is the one in pain crit bleeding?

Juani - Today at 10:07 PM

Probably.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:09 PM

I would pm the merc and tell him I will investigate, and I freeze the engineer and ask him why he has those weapons and why he is ignoring fear rp and fighting a 5v1. I would not freeze the mercs since if I do so they would likely die from their wounds.

Juani - Today at 10:10 PM

Noted. Anything else?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:11 PM

I would ask the mercenaries what led to the fight

Juani - Today at 10:12 PM

Alright! We'll go with a couple of questions now. Short ones.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:12 PM

wait

what were their responses?

Juani - Today at 10:14 PM

Oh, okay. They claim that the engineer started to engage them as soon as he saw the group.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:15 PM

Ok, I would likely issue a temporary ban for a day or two to the engineer for powergaming by constructing the weapons, ignoring fear RP by fighting a group of heavily armed mercenaries, and MAYBE a bit of metagaming over the engineer having the ability to almost solo the mercs.

also, do they have previous infractions?

Juani - Today at 10:16 PM

The engineer has no admin notes.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:17 PM

ok, then what I said earlier then(editado)

Juani - Today at 10:17 PM

To confirm, that's all, right?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:17 PM

well, what did the engineer respond?

Juani - Today at 10:19 PM

He said that he did not intend to fight them, but casually found them and started shooting at them.

Or engaging, in general.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:21 PM

Considering the fact I saw him craft the weapons, I would inform him that I saw him craft them, and ask why he is lying. I would also inform him that a engineer would realistically run away from the mercs since they are likely as armed as him

Juani - Today at 10:22 PM

You did not see him crafting the weaponry, but he has it on him.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:22 PM

is there a way to see who crafted a weapon?

or if it was spawned?

Juani - Today at 10:23 PM

Nope.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:24 PM

was the shotgun full of ammo? Did he have ammo on him, and if so, how much?

Juani - Today at 10:25 PM

The shotgun had ammo. A box of it.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:26 PM

well I would ask him where he got the ammo from, and while he responds, I would ask in dead chat if they saw the engineer find the weapons, as ghosts usually watch the antags

Juani - Today at 10:27 PM

Alrighty! That's enough. We'll cover the short-answer questions now. They are mostly to see your perspective of the staff.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:28 PM

ok, sorry if I am asking too many questions

Juani - Today at 10:28 PM

What are the current issues with the server and/or community, if any?

No, that's fine.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:28 PM

you mean in terms of bugs?

Juani - Today at 10:28 PM

We just covered the point of the question, so we'll continue.

No. More about policy, rules. Anything, really. Not development-wise.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:30 PM

Well, there are some guides that need updating, we REALLY need a malf AI guide as the baystation one does not cover the ones we currently have. It appears the community is very vary of powergamers and aggressive security, and it kind of blocks a way for people to rp as security.

that's all I can really think of at time(editado)

Juani - Today at 10:31 PM

Hm. How do you think we could solve those last ones?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:33 PM

Well we should remind the community that although people who are not antags are not allowed to do severe things like murder, it is possible to do things that are illegal if you have a good RP reason for it. A aggressive security character that physically abuses prisoners to try to pry information from them is a good example.

it overall can lead to more RP, especially in times of the round when there is nothing major going on

Juani - Today at 10:33 PM

Do you report these issues when you notice them?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:34 PM

the way some view RP? Well there is really no way to report them, as it is not something that is against the rules.

Juani - Today at 10:35 PM

No. When you notice these aggressive Security players, as an example.

Or when you think some people may be powergaming.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:36 PM

well for the first one, as long as they do not go overboard and follow proper escalation of force, it is fine. But for the second if I see someone obviously powergaming ((building a engineering super-fortress can be a example)) I would likely report it if I see it.

Juani - Today at 10:37 PM

Alrighty. And last question!

How do you think people percieve you as a player at the present time?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:38 PM

Well they would likely see me as a synthetic main who plays a robot that is very literal and uses law 2 or 3 to do things that lead to more RP in some cases

Juani - Today at 10:39 PM

I see. And as a member of the community?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:40 PM

They likely see me as a person who likes to try to improve things for synthetics, like promoting suggestions.

Juani - Today at 10:43 PM

Alrighty, then. That would be all, in that case.

Anything else you want to add to sum up the interview?

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:45 PM

I believe that if I am granted this trial moderator position I will be able to help this server remain as a shining example of how High RP is meant to be done. I hope that I am given the chance.

Juani - Today at 10:45 PM

Okay! Are you okay with me posting this interview in your thread for transparency sake, or would you rather keep it private?

Private as in, staff team only.

B.O.B the Builder - Today at 10:46 PM

It is ok if you post this publicly(editado)

The first thing I'd like you to do is read through the entire interview, and post in this thread anything you would like to change in your responses.

Moving on, your last app was denied due to an abundance of notes. This problem does not seem to have changed, and barring your here are all of your notes from this year alone:

e3acc170f28390c93bec16513db3e090.png

So my second question is, why should we risk a trial if you haven't changed how you handle the rules since your last application? How can you enforce the server rules if you cannot seem to follow them?

Juani - Today at 8:53 PM

A character joins named, "Steven Spielberg" a 17 year old bald assistant. The database kicks back a player age of 0 days for their time on the server. They immediately run for a toolbox, and begin dragging around a fueltank. What do you do?(editado)

My response after this is; "I pm him about how his character cannot be the name of any famous people and I ask him to change his character, I will also inform him that this is a HRP server and that he should not be in possession of a toolbox and a fueltank."

Juani - Today at 8:59 PM

He continues to ignore your PMs, and starts manipulating the fuel tank in order to ignite the fuel and potentially blow it up.

Juani - Today at 9:00 PM

You as a moderator have access to all the administrative tools.

Change my response to; "I freeze him and ask him why he is attempting to blow up a fuel tank, and if he does not respond I will inform him that I will issue a temporary ban of 1 day and I remind him to look at the rules next time and warn him that further actions like this after the ban can result in a harsher punishment.

So my second question is, why should we risk a trial if you haven't changed how you handle the rules since your last application? How can you enforce the server rules if you cannot seem to follow them?

Regarding this question, for the first three (technically two since the 2nd and 3rd are the same), I have improved since then and I promise that I am much more careful when playing as a cyborg and AI. For the last 3, the 1st one I was getting a circuit and other stuff to make a cyborg recharger in medbay lobby, I started queuing up my stuff when the RnD guy asked me to stop, I didn't want to be rude but I couldn't talk to him, so I told him in LOOC that I would wait. (If I got any of that wrong I apologize, it was awhile ago.)

The 2nd last one I already covered in my sharp reply.

The 3rd one was really surprising to me when I was bwoinked about it, as I have been doing that to "upgrade" the chairs to comfy chairs since I started playing drone a long while ago. I felt that the law where I could not interact with any crew may be breached if I don't touch a chair because they are in it, in retrospect I recognize that it would make more sense to leave it alone, but at the time I did not worry about it much since I did not notice that it was a possible breach in laws, as I never got any response from it until then from crew or admins. Either way I am sorry for any transgressions I caused by doing this.

Overall I am sorry for my semi-recent notes and I promise that I have changed since then, and that I will try by hardest to follow the rules whether or not I get a trial, and that I will make sure to enforce the rules correctly and fairly if I was given a trial.

I'm afraid this application is being denied, due to a lack of support among staff, and the reasons mentioned in this thread and the previous.

I suggest that you take some time to avoid run-ins with the rules completely, and familiarize yourself with playing some different roles; learn a new department, play a non-synthetic character with a fleshed out backstory and such, so people can get a feel for your RP capabilities, stay active and generally act as an example player.

You are free to re-apply on July, assuming you haven't gathered anymore warnings or notes: You can ahelp or ask an administrator if you want to see your notes, to confirm.