[Denied] ToasterRoboto's CCIA application

Basic Information

Byond key: ToasterRoboto

Character names:Johnny Patton, Fitz Hunter and any antags that involve (mexican) wrestling.

Timezone: GMT +11 (aus)

What times are you most available?:4pm-12pm mostly, occasionally 1am-6am.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: About half a year now.

How long have you played on Aurora?: Just under half a year.

How active on the forums, discord and/or server are you? I check the discord occasionally but participate rarely, I'm reasonably active on the forums (although I don't post much) and I get on the server most days.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: No.

Have you ever volunteered as moderation staff for any other servers, SS13 or otherwise?: I was and technically still am an admin on the 'Australian Spessmen' SS13 server and have been since it started. It's no longer actively played but it was for about a month while I was an admin.

Do you have any other experience that you believe would be relevant to a position in the CCIA?: I used to co-lead 'The Terminal' (it's a newspaper faction which had 15 or so people) on the 'nebulous' HL2RP server, for roughly six or so months.

Personality

Why do you want to join the CCIA?: CCIA sounds like an interesting change of perspective compared to the rest of the server. Central Command is a rarely seen thing on the server and playing as a member of it sounds rather interesting.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?: A CCIA agent should be able to judge not from what's best in their interests/opinions but rather what's best in the company's opinion. Other than that, an agent should be able to work in a timely but thorough manner among expected basics (extensive knowledge of the Corporate Regulations and the process of managing an Incident Report)

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?: The purpose of a CCIA agent in an ongoing round is mainly one of two things. Mainly, a CCIA agent will be conducting interviews and taking witness reports related to incident reports once the prerequisite steps have been completed (ensuring the complaint is valid by checking the involvement of antagonists and making sure the event wasn't completely fabricated), issuing punishments in the case of a completed report and acting as a representative of Central Command, either through replying to a head's fax (and taking action if qualified) or by simply being present on the station.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is outside of the server?: Outside of the server, a CCIA member should be following up incident reports and ensuring they are valid (no antag involvement, IC and occasionally OOC evidence of the incident actually happening, etc.) and are expected to help in the creation and maintaining of corporate regulations, making sure they make sense from an IC standpoint and justifying them from Central's viewpoint if said justification is required.

How do you handle stress?: As long as I don't burn myself out by playing for too long during one session, stress usually isn't an issue.

How well do you work autonomously?: Reasonably well. I don't believe I would have any problems, but I can't be certain without actually experiencing CCIA work and its responsibilities.

Edited by Guest

I've seen you around the server and you seem to have a good heart. Your application is lacking solid answers. Clearly, it is a rushed application and we don't take kindly to it. However after noticing your timezone, I feel nice enough to try to convince my superior to give you a chance to revise your application and give us more detail about each questions rather one-sentence answer. We need Central Command Internal Affairs Agent to be able to stay awake in that time region so some of us can go to sleep. I'll let you on a secret, Central Command Internal Affairs Agent are like Lore Dev. in terms of writing out things. We do not write a single sentence and be done with everything, it's more to that. We are expected to write a paragraph or paragraphs of how we come to a decision or showing our stance. Ultimately, it typically works in this chronological order: First, we receive the incident report and process it with our admin superior and check for antagonists involvement. Second, we check over information and ensure all information is correct before we move on. Thirdly, we notify the involved and prepare to interview them. Once all or most involved have been interviewed, the CCIAA responsible for the case will decide the consequences for all involved personnel e.g. this witness saw this but did not report thus gets punished whilst reported party will be punished as well for this but the reporting party has been testified doing this illegal acts. Whatever the consequence/decision you make, you will have to write a summary paragraph of how everything ties together. We don't rush our paragraphs.

ToasterRobo still has patches in his roleplay areas that could be fixed and is not my ideal type of player, however I can't say I don't value him and his opinions.

Currently he was one of the very, very, very, VERY few people who actually outstretched his hand and offered some feedback on his own volition instead of being dragged begging and screaming into giving me his opinion and I can respect someone who isn't afraid to not only present his opinion in a polite way but also for that opinion to be worth something instead of being a handful of long-winded compliments.

But even as I write this I recognize my ability to judge him as a player PROPERLY is limited as my activity has been rather limited recently and so I'll put a (I don't play that much) disclaimer on this feedback.

Before anything, I liked the fact that you offered Coal(f) feedback on his stuff, I haven't done it myself, really. But I don't think I can count that as a huge plus on your application, but again, still, kudos to you.

Central Command is a rarely seen thing on the server and playing as a member of it sounds rather interesting.

I didn't really understand this, really. Central Command sends announcements and faxes to the station pretty much every round. Do you mean the Agents? Well, they don't really visit the station either. They do hop on board to grab people for interviews, but... they don't really chill around, which I wish we could, at times, but that's the story for another thread.

To address my next point I'm going to quote the answer to one of the questions entirely. So, sorry for double-quoting.

Why do you want to join the CCIA?: CCIA sounds like an interesting change of perspective compared to the rest of the server. Central Command is a rarely seen thing on the server and playing as a member of it sounds rather interesting.

It is a change of pace indeed, and well, playing as an IAA with slightly more power and slightly more regulations may be interesting to some people out there. But, what if you don't like the change of pace?

You only ever really said that you want to join, because it sounds interesting, and it may change things for you. What if you try it and just don't like it? Would you simply quit, then? Personal focus in staff teams like CCIA is only detrimental. Most staff teams only work because people sacrifice their times so that things are in order. Look at Abo for god's sake, he lost so much hair answering tickets, or Syn, who practically did the entirety of CCIA work and more while people were dealing with their finals. Or Chada, who was pretty much the only active Wiki Team member before Burrito Justice (god bless their soul) showed up. If the team is not in your vision, that's bad news for the both of us.

Another problem is, though, that I see your application has a lot of fluff in it. It practically refers to the text being lengthened by unnecessary information, or involving repeated points. Your first application was shorter, yes. But your answer to the "What's the role of a CCIAA in an ongoing round" pretty much proves my point. Quote is as follows, for reference:

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?: The purpose of a CCIA agent in an ongoing round is mainly one of two things. Mainly, a CCIA agent will be conducting interviews and taking witness reports related to incident reports once the prerequisite steps have been completed (ensuring the complaint is valid by checking the involvement of antagonists and making sure the event wasn't completely fabricated), issuing punishments in the case of a completed report and acting as a representative of Central Command, either through replying to a head's fax (and taking action if qualified) or by simply being present on the station.

This is a paragraph, sure. But what it's saying could be summed up in two sentences. While CCIAA do tuck a lot of fluff into their faxes to make it sound more bureaucratic, I can't say that I appreciate the method being used in your application.

Another thing here, and possibly my main argument, is that you're missing the point.

You've described how CCIAA process Incident Reports, to a semi-correct extent, sure. But the entire point of the whole thing is to solve problems between crewmembers. You've never mentioned anything akin to that.

You've said that CCIAA respond to the faxes of Heads of Staff, sure. But you again, we do it to answer queries about ongoing events, approve/disapprove actions, and receive paperwork. You've mentioned nothing of this in your application.

My final point regards an Incident Report that was directed to your Warden character, pardon me I don't remember the name.

I am not going to share the details, of course, but in the course of the entire Interview, I couldn't get you to say more than three words. All your answers were as short as they could be. It just felt like you didn't want to be there, really, which I can understand. Incident Reports are half an hour of chair RP, it's not for everyone, but-

-when you're applying to be the person who conducts the IRs in question, it kind of is ironic.

I can understand that you might've been in a mood that day, or I'd say you had to go, but you really didn't looc me anything, so it's hard to tell. Take this last one with a grain of salt. Also take this as a "your RP could improve".

All in all, I have to say that I cannot support this application. You've missed the entire point of what we're doing, and solely explained the steps that we take. you think for yourself, and not the team, and your RP/responses could be much more longer and detailed. I suggest applying again, once you've looked deeper into CCIAA work, you can feel free to ping any member of the CCIA for your questions regarding procedures, or heck, even overall run-downs. You also may want to pay a little more attention into your RP, but I can say that you certainly are on the right track.

Interview with the applicant:

[2:01 PM] Synnono: Alright, we'll just jump right in. There are a few questions regarding scenarios you might see in a round, a few about out-of-round stuff, and some more general questions. Feel free to ask questions, but generally speaking what you see is what you get, in terms of information about a scenario.

[2:02 PM] ToasterRobot: Will do

[2:02 PM] Synnono: Starting off then, what is your idea of an ideal conflict for a given antagonist round?

[2:03 PM] ToasterRobot: What I think is personally ideal or what would be more appropriate for the server as a whole?

[2:03 PM] Synnono: Ideally as staff, I would say the latter. But if there's overlap or you want to share both, feel free.

[2:06 PM] ToasterRobot: Well, I personally enjoy something with a bit of chaos but that's not always appropriate for the server. An antagonist round should start slow with some mystery if appropriate for the gamemode (ling, vamp, etc) and flatout murder should be for the most part avoided until the half hour mark or so.

[2:08 PM] ToasterRobot: Once that mark has been passed, an antag should start making some bigger moves, such as a kidnapping, a bombing (in an unpopulated area), etc.

[2:08 PM] ToasterRobot: of course, they could still stick to being quiet during all of that

[2:09 PM] ToasterRobot: Basically, an antagonist should ideally create tension to get people in the mindset required for antag/victim RP.

[2:09 PM] Synnono: We might be getting more specific than I intended. Maybe to rephrase, regardless of the specific actions an antag decides to take, what are the qualities of a good conflict during a round?

[2:09 PM] Synnono: Ah, wait, basically that.

[2:10 PM] Synnono: To follow up then, what is that mindset to you, and do you see CCIA having a role in helping it along?

[2:10 PM] ToasterRobot: What do you mean by "what is that mindset to you"?

[2:10 PM] Synnono: You mention a "required mindset" in your answer up there. What does that mean?

[2:12 PM] ToasterRobot: Ah, that mindset would depend on the actions of an antag(s). If one mercenary is threatening to rip heads off of bystanders from the get-go, it makes it hard for people to act more seriously when a different mercenary comes into the picture.

[2:12 PM] ToasterRobot: (who isn't threatening to maim/murder people just standing around)

[2:13 PM] ToasterRobot: As for CCIA's role in that, they'd most likely be assisting in creating tension through responses to faxes sent.

[2:14 PM] ToasterRobot: A ERT is unlikely to be deployed for a cult worshipping clowns or something similar, simply because it sounds like a joke.

[2:14 PM] Synnono: It was basically the next question, so I'll ask it that way: when is it appropriate for Central Command to directly intervene in a round, and how much should they attempt to shape it when they do?

[2:15 PM] ToasterRobot: I'll answer the second half as the first is pretty much my above answer.

[2:16 PM] Synnono: As in, 'it's appropriate to intervene directly to create tension?"

[2:17 PM] ToasterRobot: Not intervening can do the same thing, so I suppose it'd be both.

[2:18 PM] ToasterRobot: Something such as an ERT can greatly affect the round and I'd say it's only appropriate when both the situation actually sounds serious and is clearly out of control of the ISD (having a ling escape into maintenance while still having a supported security team wouldn't be appropriate, even if it is a dire situation)

[2:19 PM] Synnono: Alright, that's clarifying enough. I have a few questions concerning in-round scenarios next. They're intentionally vague:

[2:19 PM] Synnono: Early in a round, command staff faxes you about a Central Command Update that you did not send. The fax asks you to explain why the station is being leased to another company. How do you respond and why?

[2:21 PM] ToasterRobot: Just to clarify, in the case of a rev announcement: You'd be responding from an OOC standpoint instead of an agent physically going up to a fax machine and responding?

[2:21 PM] ToasterRobot: The fax is still IC of course, but

[2:21 PM] ToasterRobot: there's a large difference between CCIA players responding to it and a character responding

[2:22 PM] Synnono: When I say 'respond' I suppose I'm asking "What actions do you ToasterRoboto take, and why?" At this point there's a player expecting Central to do something.

[2:23 PM] ToasterRobot: Alright.

[2:24 PM] ToasterRobot: While the concept might be a bit outrageous, it's completely unfair to the antagonists to shoot down a gimmick just because a head decided to fax command. I'd either support it completely if the idea was developed enough or create a compromise with the antagonists if the idea needed to be elabourated on.

[2:25 PM] Synnono: Alright then. In a somewhat related scenario:

[2:25 PM] Synnono: When we are supporting the Revolution game mode, CCIA can optionally choose to take a more antagonistic approach to its interaction with the crew.

The Head Loyalist of the round creates a Central Command announcement that states all Tajara employees are to be 'heavily scrutinized' due to reports of widespread terrorist acts across Tau Ceti. You receive a fax from a concerned Head of Staff asking for details about the specifics of these instructions. How do you respond and why?

[2:25 PM] Synnono: For clarity, you'll know when you get a rev announcement on our side.

[2:28 PM] ToasterRobot: For a situation like this, a more IC approach can be taken due to the type of announcement it is. The response would have to elabourate on the situation (by explaining the motivation behind it) and possibly add to the gimmick through some physical interaction (such as by having an agent visiting the station).

[2:31 PM] Synnono: Next are a few questions about out-of-round things, which take up the majority of our time.

[2:31 PM] Synnono: What do you believe is the purpose of the Incident Report system?

[2:32 PM] ToasterRobot: The IR system (to me) is a way of ensuring people have some form of realism in rounds by allowing consequences in the usually round based game.

[2:33 PM] ToasterRobot: Basically, it means you can't keep bullying/beating up someone, just get arrested for the round and have no further consequences.

[2:34 PM] Synnono: Makes sense. On our side, processing one comes down to doing a lot of talking to people.

[2:34 PM] Synnono: After claiming an Incident Report to work on and sending out notices to the people involved, you realize that the players you are trying to meet with can't accommodate your timezone and schedule, and it is unlikely you will be able to meet with all of them for several weeks or longer. What would you do, if anything, to address this issue?

[2:35 PM] ToasterRobot: Quick question.

[2:35 PM] Synnono: Sure.

[2:35 PM] ToasterRobot: CCIA members have a way to communicate with eachother of the server, right?

[2:35 PM] Synnono: We all participate in the staff discord.

[2:36 PM] Synnono: There's also a subforum we can see.

[2:37 PM] ToasterRobot: If I can't meet up with the players due to my timezone, I'd have to go on the staff discord and see if another member (in the players' timezones) could conduct the interviews in my place.

[2:37 PM] ToasterRobot: I'm not sure if I should continue with the case or not, but considering the lack of first hand participation it'd probably be better to pass it off to whoever conducted the interview.

[2:38 PM] Synnono: After completing your investigation of an Incident Report, you find that an officer escalated to a forceful arrest when a crewmember resisted detainment. While the original reason for the arrest is determined to be invalid, the officer argues that in resisting arrest, the crewman legitimized the detainment. How do you interpret any wrongdoing in this event?

[2:40 PM] ToasterRobot: First of all, I'd have to see the evidence used to come to the conclusion that said crewmember is to be arrested.

[2:42 PM] ToasterRobot: If it's sufficient enough to warrant a charge (something such as a blood sample/majority fingerprints) then the ISD would be in right here, although the crew member would not recieve a punishment above a verbal warning.

[2:43 PM] ToasterRobot: If there simply isn't enough evidence to connect them to the crime, then the crewmember would be in the right here and the officer likely isn't responsible for gathering evidence.

[2:43 PM] Synnono: Even though they definitely broke a regulation by resisting?

[2:45 PM] ToasterRobot: The cause of their arrest was illegitimate though.

[2:46 PM] ToasterRobot: And from a corporate standpoint, punishing an employee like this without cause doesn't look good from a PR standpoint.

[2:46 PM] ToasterRobot: Meaning they'd most likely drop the charge of resisting arrest

[2:47 PM] Synnono: Alright. Well I think I have your reasoning either way.

[2:47 PM] Synnono: I don't have much else for you really. This is normally the space where I bring up some points in your application but you've revised it since the original post and I have less feedback there now.

[2:48 PM] Synnono: The only thing that comes to mind is to ask whether there's a reason you've not responded to the more recent feedback on it.

[2:48 PM] ToasterRobot: Eve's feedback?

[2:48 PM] Synnono: Basically.

[2:49 PM] ToasterRobot: I've read over it a few times but just haven't replied.

[2:50 PM] ToasterRobot: But I definitely agreed with their points about my application detailing the processes but not getting into specifics of what a CCIA member actually does.

[2:52 PM] Synnono: Applications stay open for a bit after this, I'm probably going to get all open interviews out of the way before making any decisions. The team and other people will be able to read this and post additional thoughts on it. If there are points made that you'd benefit from addressing, it will be a good idea to do that.

[2:52 PM] Synnono: And thanks for your time. Do you have any questions for me, before we finish up?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...