[Accepted] Server Moderator - Evandorf

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: Evandorf

Character Name(s):

Most Played: Suvek Tokash (Head of Security), Nia (Engine Technician), Leonard Krasinski (Detective), Adam (Scientist)

Least Played: Arthur Straub (Janitor/Miner), Emanual Clarke (Xenobotanist/ Virologist), Albert Martin (Psychologist), MRLO-5512 (Detective), Nolan Dennis (Xenoarcheologist), Sinclair (Merchant), Roland Laurent (Counsilor), Sylvia (Bartender), Martin Holloway (Engineer)

Defunct Characters: Cassandra Faust (Eridani HoS during Eridani event), Karl Strauss (Cargo Technician/Miner)

AI Name(s): Patriarch, Servitor (Borg)

Discord username + tag: Evandorf#1890

Timezone: US Central

When are you on Aurora?: Usually after work from 4 PM Central to 11 PM or 12 AM Central. I play earlier during the day on weekends.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: I have played on this server, on and off, since September 2015, but I had played on Cyberaid and Hypatia before that. Roughly four years.

How long have you played on Aurora: Roughly three years.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I am well versed in most of the mechanics. I can perform engine setup, atmos setup, power optimizations, breach and airflow mechanics. I understand how chemistry works even though I would have to have the wiki open for the recipes. I'm familiar with robotics, research and development, xenobiology, toxins, cooking, hydroponics, mining. I lack knowledge in telecomms setup but have some scripts saved from those who know more. Most of the time if I can't figure out how something works I find it in github. I may not know all the ins and outs of coding, but most people leave enough notes or there is enough context for me to figure it out.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No.

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: No.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: First and foremost, I love the setting. I love scifi, I'm a huge robophile, and the complexity hidden behind the simple graphics of the game really immerse me. I love being able to sit down and either tweak an existing system (like the power system) or create new systems for personal or assigned projects (setting up containment for xenos for example).

Why do you play on Aurora?: The people and mood. I have a friend who I've tried to get into this game. For whatever reason it doesn't appeal to him. He has fun downloading and running the server alone on his own computer, getting in and walking empty halls, messing with equipment; but he can't or won't play with other people online. The complexity of the game is great, but it's playing with a community of people who want to craft the same universe and want to see the setting come alive why I enjoy HRP and this server in particular.

What do moderators do?: They respond to player concerns and complaints. They make sure that the rules are observed and mediate if necessary. They also help new players acclimate to the server.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: For Aurora, being HRP, moderators will have to deal with issues relating to what was stated in the previous question in addition to concerns that consider the interactions between players. While I don't believe that every decision will be considered "Fair" by all parties involved, it is worth attempting to come to an agreement that considers all points of view, both IC and OOC, and still remains within the rules of the server.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: As stated earlier, I've been on and off this server for around three years. It's given me a lot of good memories and people I could consider a friend. I want to help uphold the community and give something back.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: My best qualities are patience and persistence. I have a high tolerance for repetition and am willing to spend time digging to make sure I have all the information I need to make a decision.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I handle all three fairly well. In my actual job, I am a repair technician for a wide array of systems. I work on laptops, desktops, and servers for both home and office. I repair networking equipment, satellite communication, get on roofs, run cable (again in both people's homes and offices). I even repair robotic pill cabinets for high volume pharmacies at times. The company I work for is contracted to do work for all these various companies and it is a daily struggle to schedule timeslots, repair equipment, and also make sure the customers are happy. All while driving sometimes two hours away. It can be stressful. People will insult me to my face and it would be very easy to get upset and angry. I have a very thick skin and though I may get salty sometimes and refute my warnings on the forums I never let any possible anger I have show. It would only undermine my credibility.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

As I said before, I am very glad to be a part of this community. I hope that in my time here I have shown good judgement and treated other people how they would like to be treated. I want to help maintain the server, help people who are having issues, and make sure this great thing we're a part of continues. I'm always impressed with the coders, sprite creators, devs, moderators, and all the rest who work to keep this ship not only afloat but improving all the time. I'm really looking forward to future changes and I hope I can help be a part of that.

• 1 month later...