[Denied] Server Moderator Application - Superiorform

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: Superiorform

Character Name(s): Jake Lawrenson, Cathryn Latham, Alexander Viatorem, Daniel Tilton, a few rarely played chars.

AI Name(s): Auntie Marian, Pacificatron (secborg)

Preferred means of contact: Discord

Timezone: BST (GMT+1)

When are you on Aurora?: At least four hours per day on weekends, normally more, and in general, two-four hours on weekdays, though this varies a lot more.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Around 10 or 11 months now. A year now! Amazing! Kill me.

How long have you played on Aurora: Around 10 or- since I started playing SS13. I played Goon once, then randomly clicked on this station that said Heavy Roleplaying... and stuck!

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: Very knowledgeable on combat, science, cargo, and medical, but I don't know much about engineering, like wiring and setting up the engine.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: None at all.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Not once. 3 day antag ban because I screeched on the shuttle... forgetting that it breaks windows. All responsibility accepted, and I am sorry. No malicious intent at all.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: This is a... hard question. What is the draw of a 14 year old, 2D, top down, pixelated graphics, BYOND driven, video game? I think it has to be the radio, top down view, and complex, interactive mechanics that allow you to really get a good idea of what is going on around you, get immersed in the game, and roleplay. I've always liked sci-fi, and sorta semi-dystopian worlds, and NanoTrasen allows dor that quite nicely.

Why do you play on Aurora?: The community, it has to be. I like all of the staff, and all of the players. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and the quality of roleplay is very high. It is very rare indeed that I find something that breaks my immersion. Despite this, there is a healthy dose of fun on the server, that is not restricted by uber-realism and I really like that. It seems as if everyone knows what to do to get that nice mix of a tad of silliness, and immersion. Also, antagonists do not feel restricted, and it is rare that I find myself being murderbones, or feeling as if I had an unjustified death. These things happen, of course, but rarely. Antagonist gimmicks tend to be quite fun on this server.

What do moderators do?: They sort out any problems that are ahelped, communicating and working closely with the community, the ahelper, and the administration to resolve everything in a timely, and effecient manner. They hand out punishments where necessary, and ask for help and advice from the rest of the team to make sure everything is done correctly, when they are not sure.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To take up the mantle, and the responsibility that comes with being in such a powerful and esteemed role on our server. To take the time to make sure the image of the staff is kept nicely, and to help wherever and whenever help is needed.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I want to help out on Aurora, and give something back, I've spent so much time here that I really feel as if I should help out a little. I also think... and I'll probably be proven wrong rather quickly... I think I might enjoy it. Problem solving and debating are well within my skillset and I think I would enjoy solving disputes between players and helping out.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: (This is copied from my previous application. I don't believe it requires editing or changing.) I actually think I possess many of the qualities needed. For starters, I will show why I believe myself to possess two of the qualities Skull mentions in the thread “Trial Moderator Criteria”:

Communication: I am part of a debating team, and reached the national semi finals in a public speaking competition. I pride myself on my eloquence and ability to communicate, and actually enjoy debating. Following on from that, I can remain courteous, and I believe I have demonstrated this well in OOC. There was an instance where I was accused of being a bad antag, and some horrible words and names were thrown my way. I did not respond in kind, rather, I called them out on their rudeness, and asked them why they believed I was terrible. I calmly gave my counterpoints and explanations, and not once did I insult anyone.

Good Judgement: I always err on the side of caution when taking strong actions, and I believe I have demonstrated this in my play as an antagonist, security, and head of staff/captain. I try to make sure I don’t shut down the round or role-play to fast. I believe this would translate well to me being a moderator. I would not be handing out bans for minor things, or without contacting and informing an administrator. When dealing with someone else’s fun, I would always make sure I do the right thing, and this involves me asking for help. Also, I always try not to get too attached to things in a 2d spessman game. I would definitely stand back and immediately inform someone else if I am part of an issue.

I also like to help out newer players. Some people have noted that I often take newer cadets to the holodeck to make sure they understand proper arrest procedure as security, so we have more good security cadets and officers, and I often find myself teaching newer scientists how the toxins chamber works.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Stress, anger, and insults. Really not a problem to me. When I feel as if I am becoming stressed, I take a few deep breaths, and step back. How can I solve this problem? How bad is it, really? What resources do I have? Time? I can't remeber the last time I have ever got angry over the internet, if ever. Insults? I play Doctor Fate on Injustice 2, people scream at me half of the time I play online. Someone insulting me over the internet is more inclined to make me laugh, but I think I'm above goading people on.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I can get salty. I'll admit that. When I feel as if I have been badly done for in-game, I have complained in dsay. I understand this can give a bad image, so I'll stop. Of course, I'd never take any action myself if I feel badly done for when I am a moderator, I would ahelp and ask someone else to handle it.

I think I am quite well known in the community, and trusted. A few players have told me nice things about myself, and I really like that. I think I would be a good choice for moderator, because of this. I also reckon I'd have quite a friendly moderating style.

Link to my previous app: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7766 You will find some comments in suport of me, and my previous interview. This is probably worth taking a look at. I was denied because the applications closed.

Thanks for taking a look, and for considering me!

Edited by Guest

This was a rather long time coming one.

To start off, i think Superior is one of the finest players we have here, he has been here as long as i was, or even a bit less, but he shows a rather mature personality to top it off, if there's someone from the people i know on Aurora that would be a good Moderator, that'd be him, both because i know his characters have some quality that i like, and that he's a friendly and approachable person OOC.

I don't really have much to add, because there isn't, though i'll admit he can get salty to an extent if he has been done wrong in some way IC, but it always is short-lived and not even that much of a salt, more of a little mope.

All and all, i think he has the capabilities to be a fine moderator, seeing how he upholds the rules as he plays, i'm confident he will do equally good when he enforces them.

I've experiences superiorform as a person that really likes to dedicate themself to the characters they play. When they play a head-role, they do take the responsibility. Its also worth mentioning that whenever they play antag, they try to come up with good ideas and dont go on a random murderbone spree. While this might seem unimportant for a Mod-App, I'd like to believe it simply shows that they'Re a responsible person that wants to ADD to the server and not just take from it.

I support Superiorforms app, for what its worth.

Superiorform's always been an absolute delight to have on the community, in my opinion. Based on what I've seen, they're tolerant and open-minded, friendly and mature, and they really seem to care for the community. It is clear to me that they usually think about situations they come across before they make a move towards its resolution.

I am in agreement with how they say they can handle anger, for it rarely ever shows and the times it does they always seem to have it under control. Everyone is capable of anger — we are all human after all (or so it seems) — but the sooner we accept that the better it will be; I believe I can see that with Superior. They are a very understanding person and I think that is an important trait to have for the server's staff, and they are very much wary and cautious of their actions.

But importantly still, I can see how they adopt a doctrine of creativity. I'm fairly certain that moderators are official role models for the community. They are important to the staff, but they aren't here for the staff: they're here for the community. They communicate with others very well, and I can see that in Superior; they do not smother and impose on other people but instead inspire and create. They don't appear to do this for social status or ego but to help others have the fun we all came here to have together. I cannot stress enough how much I REALLY, REALLY would like to see this person take on the role of a moderator for this community.

I would like to say though: real life may or may not come in at some point soon. But I am still most definitely in support for this application; we cannot know what has not happened.

• 1 month later...

I like this guy.

I've seen them as cap'n, and they're one of the few captains that actually pay attention to often neglected crew such as assistants and lower-level jobs, and I've seen them on two occasions actually take an assistant into their office to discuss the possibility of becoming a Bridge Assistant or similar role.

I wanna point out the weight of this: this guy was in a grey jumpsuit, yellow gloves and a toolbelt, and the captain still turned around, greeted the guy, and asked how they could be of help. For real, I teared up a little there. Next thing you know, he's following the captain around in a formal uniform and taking down appointments for people to see the captain.

As captain, Sup could've just as rightfully ignored the guy and went on with the round. No. Sup went out of their way to make sure this assistant had a great round just because.

Even my experience with Sup as an antag has left me with positive impressions.

All of this stuff honestly shows to me that Sup clearly plays to make the rounds more enjoyable for those around them and tries to get people involved when they can. This makes for a cool guy captain, likeable, engaging antags and I can see these traits making a cool guy moderator, too.

+1

• 1 month later...

I've played extensively with Cathryn Latham and have then enjoyed playing with Superiorform a lot. I didn't know superior also was Alexander Viatorem, who happens to be one of my favorite captains. I don't know what qualifications a good moderator should have but superior seems like good person, and I'm honestly suprised he/she is only 16 (must be quite mature for their age).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Due to some issues that were brought up during the trial and a talk with Superiorform, this application is unfortunately denied.

I encourage you to re-apply at a later date if you are still willing and interested. Thank you for contribution over the past month.

Application denied.