[Accepted] Moderator App - Something Vile

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: Something_Vile

Character Name(s): Ones I consistently play are Jane Pyre and Cinder.

AI Name(s): n/a

Preferred means of contact: Discord, at "Something Vile" or via email.

Timezone: EST.

When are you on Aurora?: Sporadically, though never before the afternoon in my timezone. I used to frequent deadhour, but it's become less dead. On weekdays, if on, between four pm and ten pm; on weekends, I'm possibly on between five pm til the next morning.

Dunno if discord omnipotence is relevant.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Two years and some change on two separate accounts.

How long have you played on Aurora: Consistently, since the beginning of 2016, so 20 months or so.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I have a reasonably extensive knowledge of mechanics for our base, though probably not as much as, say, an older veteran or developer might have. I get the gist of almost anything that isn't very esoteric.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No, sorry.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Never been banned. Had a few notes for antag play and got a warning on /tg/ in late 2015, but no actual bans.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I know I'm supposed to act really involved and super-cool here, but I play videogames because I'm bored and sad. While, certainly, other games can provide entertainment in the form of engaging plots, gameplay, characters, etc., I think that I play SS13 consistently because it's never the same thing again, or at least I've never taken it to be. SS13 never fails to be boring, barring sextended deadhour maybe last year, and it's definitely the new experiences, ways of interacting with other characters, and, dare I say it, community interaction that I've come to know and love.

Why do you play on Aurora?: Aurora... fills a niche, for me. I wasn't involved in SS13 whatsoever in older days, where multiple HRP servers had a lot of players and power, if one discounts that by the time I joined Aurora the player count was lucky to exceed 40 in a rush, so when I became aware of a character driven station in the game, I felt a draw. Engaging in some level of escapism is enjoyable, especially when a character that I can forge entirely by myself is in such a place as to socially act almost however they please. Avoiding further convoluted descriptions of why I roleplay, the reason i play on Aurora is to do just that - roleplay. The other players typically don't take themselves too seriously, but are invested enough in the round and their and others' characters so as to make a believable station dynamic come to exist that I find relatively immersive, ignoring the illustrious graphics, user interface, and vague, slow mechanics. Aurora is HRP, and that's what I like, so I play here.

What do moderators do?: Moderators are intended to keep the peace, to a degree, in the game, and assist players along with admins in helping new or inexperienced players understand the game and the server in a better way. Moderators are supposed to stop griefing and overall improper behaviour such as ERP or no-RP from taking place on the server, typically via the infamous BWOINK or outright bans, depending on severity. Mods are also ostensibly obliged to be active to a degree in the community, typically with some level of flair by shitposting if Coalf and Delta are any indication, and ultimately reserve the right to make decisions that benefit the larger playerbase both in the game and out. Knowing that I'm boring whoever's reading this with altruistic rambling, moderators are sort of like heads of staff in game with the benefit of being able to more violently weed out or remove players that seek to cause inappropriate trouble, the former of these terms meaning that they're senior members of the community more familiar with the concepts of the game who can help others learn what they're doing and find what they're interested in, in both the game and community.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: Oh god, I totally answered part of this in the last entry on accident by assuming that it was applying to SS13 in general, but regardless, a moderator on Aurora would be here to provide support for new or troubled players through answering questions about the game and server, acting as both a deterrent and judge of griefers, sex-fiends, and other ne'er-do-wells that might slink in, and tie the community together as mainstays of apparent merit or continuity so as to give the server personality and cohesion. Being a mod here would also imply some level of expertise on the game itself, the way our specific server works with possible information on lore and mechanics, and a level of commitment to other staff members, the community, and outlook for the welfare of the server and all its constituencies in general.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: It's typical for people to become invested in things they care about to any degree, and vice versa. Given that I've been skulking around here for a reasonable amount of time and feel that, honestly, the server has given me a lot of good times and a few worthwhile friends out-of-character, I feel the need to give back in some capacity that matters. Being a moderator, I think, would fulfill that to some degree, with the removal of toxic elements and helping of others giving other players and prospects the kind of experience I know is both possible and enjoyable on Aurora.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I don't jump to conclusions and I very purposefully look for the input of others when it's possible I've made a mistake. That being said, I believe myself to be of sound judgement and reason as well. These would be, or are, good traits in staff here on the server given that not all players are very intentionally trying to break rules and cause mayhem, such that conversation regarding an issue may be warranted, or even needed, when applying some form of punishment for actions taken. A level of empathy I think I possess also allows me to understand the thought processes of some more questionable persons on and around the server so as to paint a clear picture of circumstances regarding issues, both from the facts via logs, and perspectives by complaints and rebuttals.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: People I don't care about can't hurt my feelings. While outright frustration and insults directed at me may be jarring, it won't change the way I'm performing aside from acting possibly a little bit more tersely or expediently. Following anger and stress within myself, I don't feel as though I get legitimately angry often enough to have a decisive answer on my own behaviour, but I do know that I deal with stress fairly well by avoiding taking it out on others in hostile manners and finding time to decompress when I can.

Anything Else You Want to Add: I feel like I'm notoriously bad at writing applications, probably because of how I write them, but I am actually interested in joining the ranks of staff here on server. Before saying anything dumb about myself that some people reading this might already have picked up on, I'd like to genuinely request some member of the staff that grades this to give feedback on either my style of answering or the content itself, should I be either denied or accepted, so as to improve future endeavours. Thanks.

Okay, now other stuff real quick.

I write. Terribly surprising for a roleplayer to write, I know, but I do put effort into forming characters, stories, or rhythm in my writing, which I think I've thrown at a few people on the server in the past. Segueing that all nice and prettily, it's not much of a secret to anyone that's been around on the discord for a while that I do occasionally have issues in activity on the server and my own life, often happening due to a connection between the two. Recently having entered college, and with a less than impressive truancy record over the past two years here already, I think it's worth noting that while I definitely would try to be on server more consistently, even if not playing for the purpose of moderating, I wouldn't consider myself a mainstay player at the moment - only a mainstay in the community via discord or other OOC venues.

Thanks for reading all the way down here, sorry if I wasted your time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...