[Denied] sdtwbaj CCIA Application

CCIA Staff Application

Basic Information

Byond key: sdtwbaj

Character names: Marcus Halloway, Lolly Vause

Timezone: CST

What times are you most available?: Roughly 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM, maybe 1:30 to 10:00 on weekends.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Around a year and a half.

How long have you played on Aurora?: Coming up on a year.

How active on the forums, discord and/or server are you? Forums, I lurk more than I post. Discord and server, very.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: For 3 days, shooting a wall at round end.

Have you ever volunteered as moderation staff for any other servers, SS13 or otherwise?: ...I mean, I moderated on a minecraft server for a month or so.

Do you have any other experience that you believe would be relevant to a position in the CCIA?: Not particularly, no.

Personality

Why do you want to join the CCIA?: CCIA is a good place to garner experience and develop skills related to moderating, that and I also hear it's needed, and it seems like a cool thing that I could try out.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?: Well, a CCIA agent is trusted to be active, impartial, and willing to lay down the law in relation to IRs, as well as facilitate faxes and other behind the scenes things for the round. They also mediate disputes, and that means one has to be able to look at something from all sides, and keeping their bias out of it to the best of their ability. Being a CCIA agent means you're trusted with bringing up the backbone of various RP and Station-CC interactions around Aurora. They can be impartial, measured, and deal with people who're going through issues.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?: To give interviews, respond to faxes and emergency transmissions, and occasionally run little micro-events like seminars.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is outside of the server?: To handle IRs and various roleplay things that come up on the forums, as well as to be able to answer some questions about what NT's policy on this or that would be, since people love to ask.

How do you handle stress?: Rather well, I'd say.

How well do you work autonomously?: Once I know the expectations, I can work autonomously rather efficiently and easily.

Additional Notes:

• 3 weeks later...

Interview with the applicant:

[8:00 PM] Whiterabit: Great, let's start then.

[8:00 PM] Whiterabit: Eight questions, just answer as best you can with what's given.

[8:00 PM] Whiterabit: 1. During a round of Ninja, you are faxed by the Station Command inquiring about an “inspector” who claims to have been sent to evaluate each of the departments. How do you respond?

[8:03 PM] Ayrism: Well, assuming it isn't something that got set up in AOOC earlier, I'd probably wait a little bit before replying, maybe 10 or 15 minutes to give the ninja some breathing room. When I send a fax back, it'd be something along the lines of 'we aren't aware of any inspectors scheduled for this shift, please treat them as a possible intruder'.

[8:03 PM] Ayrism: maybe something about regulations regarding crewmembers impersonating people as well

[8:04 PM] Whiterabit: Alright, next question.

[8:04 PM] Whiterabit: 2. During a round of Crossfire, you are faxed by the Station Command about a team of mercenaries who have reported a band of pirates operating in the area and they wish to offer their services as additional security. Command wishes your advice on the situation. How do you respond?

[8:07 PM] Ayrism: I'd probably send back a fax something like, 'evaluate the situation and confirm any hostiles, then make a decision regarding the mercenaries from there, keeping corporate regulation in mind, as well as knowing that you'll be responsible for what happens'

[8:08 PM] Whiterabit: 3. You receive an emergency message from the station’s Artificial Intelligence. It claims that there is an emergency situation and requests an immediate ERT deployment. How do you respond?

[8:10 PM] Ayrism: I'd send one of the big stationwide CC messages asking for a report on the situation, and if someone responds that stuff's gone wrong, or if there's no response from anyone, call up an ERT.

[8:10 PM] Whiterabit: One more station based hypothetical.

[8:10 PM] Whiterabit: 4. You receive a fax from the Internal Affairs Agent, he claims that the Captain has been abusing his authority by removing all of the vending machines from the station and has demoted an engineer for littering. How do you respond?

[8:12 PM] Ayrism: I'd send back a fax that it isn't abuse to remove the vending machines, and a notice for the IAA to give the Captain that littering would fall under the vandalism regulation, and that charge should be considered before anything like a demotion.

[8:13 PM] Whiterabit: 5. In your own opinion, how much of a role should Central Command play in the affairs of the station? When is it appropriate for them to intervene and by how much should they attempt to shape the round?

[8:17 PM] Ayrism: I think that CC should really only step in if they're getting notified that Command is being horrifically bad, and otherweise leaving as much as possible to the station. As far as the round, CC should try to craft their responses to give antags a reasonable amount of leeway, instead of sending something that'd just be a telltale to shut them down instantly. Advising the IAA or putting some teeth behind their decisions is also something that I think CC should definitely be doing.

[8:18 PM] Whiterabit: 6. What do you think is the purpose of the Incident Report system?

[8:20 PM] Ayrism: To me, an IR plays the same role that a player complaint does, but for the IC form. It's really there as a way to help push good corporate roleplay--even if you don't break OOC rules, you can still get bit over acting dumb, and it pushes the whole aspect of 'actions have consequences' that's central to most serious RP.

[8:21 PM] Whiterabit: 7. What do you believe should qualify a character for receiving significant action such as a demotion as opposed to a lighter response such as a warning or even re-training? What about a full character firing?

[8:25 PM] Ayrism: A demotion should be reserved for if someone's already had a lighter response, but continues on with doing whatever it is that got them IR'd. It's part of an escalation, and demoting someone right off the bat should really only be reserved for people who're straight up unqualified, or unable to do their job. A surgeon that messed up badly and had many dead patients being sent off for retraining, and spending some time as a resident again, or things like that. As for firing, I would only ever fire a character if the character simply isn't compatible with the station. Overly violent, disruptive, high amounts of criminal activity, things of that nature. There was the guy who spent every round as an assistant running a drug ring with a Botanist, those would be the kinds of things that I would reserve actual firing for.(edited)

[8:26 PM] Whiterabit: Last question

[8:26 PM] Whiterabit: 8. After taking an IR of your own and completing your interviews, you find that an officer escalated to a forceful arrest when a crewmember resisted detainment. The original reason for the arrest is deemed invalid, however, the officer argues that in resisting arrest the crewman legitimized the detainment. What do you think would be the best way to resolve this case?

[8:30 PM] Ayrism: If I were to handle that, I would leave a formal warning with the officer for the unlawful arrest, and maybe a 2 or 3 day suspension while they're brushed up on the regulations, depending on how far it really went with the arrest. I'd also give the crewman a talking to that they should obey the orders of officers, and bring up the problem to station command or in an IR at a later time.(edited)

[8:31 PM] Whiterabit: Alright, that's all of it. If you have anything else you want to add on, feel free.

[8:31 PM] Whiterabit: Otherwise, that'll be all for the interview.

[8:32 PM] Ayrism: Alright, thanks. Nothing to add.

After reviewing this application, we've unfortunately decided to deny it.

It's important to note that we are really looking for people who are going to stick around and maintain their activity. With that said, your decision to apply for both the moderators and CCIA was a big concern for most of us. We'd like applicants to have a genuine interest in the team they're joining, and it worried us that you might simply be trying to find any available place in the staff to join.

You're more than free to re-apply in the future, however, I would recommend that you re-evaluate your decision to join staff, decide which team would best suit you and focus on just the one.