[Denied] Moderator Application - Ajstorey456

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: ajstorey456

Character Name(s): Darion Muck (Scientist, deceased), Cherish (Security Officer, former borg), Garry Lent (Warden), Kepper Dytes (Engineer/Working on it), Edia Yao (Security Cadet/retired? To be recycled)

AI Name(s): I've used a few in the past, but nowadays I just use Cherie

Preferred means of contact: Discord is easiest, though if I'm needed, I can provide more personal means such as cell phone.

Timezone: EST, UTC -5

When are you on Aurora?: I'm on all times of the day, mostly afternoon-night on weekdays and literally all day and night weekends.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Three months, give or take a week.

How long have you played on Aurora: Three months, give or take a week.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I know quite a bit, pertaining to each department, but I believe there's still a lot to learn.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No I have not.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Yes, twice. First was permban, which I like not to count, but it's there so I'll say anyhow. I was playing my first or second time and the friend who introduced me told me that injecting phoron in light tubes made them kaboom when they turned on. I, being the bored chemist, giggled and said OK. That did not go over well. Second time was a job ban from Borg, in which I learned to what extent the ganking rule goes towards. I feel like the punishment was harsh, but after a while of arguing I bit the bullet. I had tased someone to horizontal as a security borg because I was told to by the Warden, and he subsequently got slugged to death. In the later events of the round, things lined up to seem like I was continuing to help the now clearly evil Warden, but that was cleared up later.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I play SS13 because it fits a lot of what I like about any game. As an RPG, I'm able to engage with myself, the game and others, thrusting my characters into a world of others for fun. I like the unique mechanics and playstyle as well as getting to interact as my character with other players' characters. I like SS13 for what I love in D&D, with the added benefits of being able to point and click my way to adventure.

Why do you play on Aurora?: Aurora is all I know. I was introduced to the game through Aurora and haven't played seriously on another server since. I tried one other server once, during my perm ban, and quickly learned why I should get myself unbanned here and figure out how to play like a real space man.

What do moderators do?: Moderators, ideally, don't have to do much. They step in when people fuck up or are being malicious in a way that can't be handled unless by them. They deal with griefers, sort out confusing and frustrating situations, and make sure that people are adhering to the rules in place so that everyone may have fun on the server. They also act as teachers of sorts, helping people get along if they don’t know what to do, which is pretty common in the steep learning curve that is SS13.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: Moderating for Aurora means keeping roleplay moving, removing or correcting bad players and elements that seek to make the game unfun for everyone else.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: In general, when I play a community game, I end up feeling like I could help more than I am. I like to be able to keep things in order so everyone can enjoy the given server as much as I do. Aurora is no different, and I hear that a position is needed that fits my bill, someone who's competent and on during the dead hours when modmins are needed the most.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I've been moderator for several other communities before. I know how the art of controlling chaos on an internet video game works at the basics. I also like to think I'm stern where others are afraid to give out the harsher rulings and punishments deserved in more fragile situations. I like to think I'm unbiased, treating everyone the same and sticking to rules as close as I can follow. Lastly, I have a weird knack for picking out baddies. In other servers I've moderated on, I can tell who smells of grief the moment they log on and I see their usernames. I can't really prove this or elaborate in any way, but it's there.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Admittedly, this is one of my weaker suits. As a player, I have a noteable record of responding to insults with insults. When I feel attacked, I have attacked. I can tell you from experience of being in charge, though, this does not seep into my moderating. I'm more level headed when I know I have control of the situation, and being a moderator is just that. In a situation where one is screaming "badmins are bad, fuck this guy in particular," it's hard for me to take offense just because of how easy it is to realize how pointless the situation is.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

This is more of a formality than anything. With my note and admin record, I fully understand that my chances are slim at best. I love SS13 and I love Aurora, and I want nothing more than to make sure the community is thriving and everything is running smoothly as far as I can help it. That being said, I know this is more than likely to be denied. I spoke with Catnip and Garn about my chances and understood that they aren't very high. I'd like you all to know up in the staffing team that I am interested though, and with this position as a dead hour moderator open, if even just the slimmest chance to help, I'd really like to. Thank you for considering.

You've got 19 staff entries, over the course of around 3 months, 12 of which received within the last the month this including verbal warnings translated to notes, actual warnings and even a job ban. I can't support this application due to the simple fact that while you may not be doing this maliciously, but even these many rule violations doesn't put you in a good light. That's not to mention that the trial period will have the moderator and administrator both watch your capacity as a staff member and a player more thoroughly than before.

• 1 month later...

I am, I'm expecting to be on the server more starting when I'm making this response. Not nearly as much as I used to be however, I don't believe. I've been wrapped up in many other things. I'll still be able to stay for 1-2 rounds each night, and more on the weekends if that's alright for a moderator?

I need to hear what you've got to say in response to this, [mention]ajstorey456[/mention]

You've got 19 staff entries, over the course of around 3 months, 12 of which received within the last the month this including verbal warnings translated to notes, actual warnings and even a job ban. I can't support this application due to the simple fact that while you may not be doing this maliciously, but even these many rule violations doesn't put you in a good light. That's not to mention that the trial period will have the moderator and administrator both watch your capacity as a staff member and a player more thoroughly than before.

I've got no real defense for those, though at least six of those entries were when I was trying to learn how to play. For a lot of those, I was simply ignorant to what I was doing wrong, and I wasn't even aware that I had as many as nineteen. As far as I'm aware, I think some of them are repeats of themselves too. All I can say is that each and every one was a learning experience and I'm past it, mistakes that I won't make again and I don't believe I have made since I was made aware of them. Not including the time I was away, obviously, I think ever since my surge of notes that was me getting in trouble a lot slowed down/stopped because I got the hang of things.