[Accepted] Brutishcrab51's CCIA Application

Basic Information

Byond key: Brutishcrab51.

Character names: Kalren Halstere, Mariabella Cypret.

Timezone: UTC-7. More locally known here as MST (Mountain Standard Time) here in the US of A.

What times are you most available?: Really, any time from about 12PM to 8-9PM, weekdays or weekends.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Since early 2014. First server was Noxstation, a friend of mine by the name of Shriden showed me the game.

How long have you played on Aurora?: Well, I first tried out the server in 2016, but my activity was really sporadic until about three months ago. So, safe to say, I've really been part of the community for the last three months.

How active on the forums, discord and/or server are you? I'm on the Forums and Discord every day, and I'm usually on the server at least two or three rounds on a bad day. Other times, I'll spent eight to ten hours straight on the server, as I have before.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Nope, I haven't. I think I've only got one warning in the past year, as well.

Have you ever volunteered as moderation staff for any other servers, SS13 or otherwise?: Was a Senior Administrator on ArchAngel, and staff for a number of HL2RP, Military RP, Apocalypse RP, Fallout RP and Star Wars RP's but there's too many to name. My time on Garry's Mod was far longer than SS13, I started at it in 2011.

Do you have any other experience that you believe would be relevant to a position in the CCIA?: Well, I've played Internal Affairs roles that have long-term actions on a number of Garry's Mod servers (MPF Internal Affairs, Intelligence, so on), but I doubt that's entirely relevant.

Personality

Why do you want to join the CCIA?: I figure I could probably spend my time helping as the eye-in-the-sky for Incident Reports. Along with that, I've seen and heard how the CCIA don't have enough capable players, and are usually low on manpower, so, I figure I could toss my dice into the ring and help out.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?: Patience, no doubt. CCIA Agents need to be unbiased in situations, and keep a sense of justice when it comes to corporate regulations. It's pretty simple in that regard, they're an eye-in-the-sky.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?: Handling situation reports from the station with admin-permission, responding to FAX's, pursuing investigations regarding incident reports, investigating station-bound requests if the situation is serious enough, and there's admin permission, generally providing oversight as the voice of Central Command.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is outside of the server?: Handling incident reports, namely. Most of the functions of a CCIA Agent is IC-based, but they're also the only individuals who can handle IC incident reports. I don't think I could name any of their other functions, I'm not familiar with them if they do exist.

How do you handle stress?: Well enough. I main a Head of Security character and, I like to think, function well enough in that regard. Alongside that, it wouldn't be the first authority-esque role I've ever had. Otherwise, I handle stress fairly well from a more IRL point of view, away from my online 'persona', it's pretty hard to get to me.

How well do you work autonomously?: Fairly well, I'd like to think. I've observed how the CCIA players operate, and it's evident they're usually often independent of one another. I'll be able to work at their pace, I'd think.

Additional Notes: This was more of a heat-of-the-moment application written after reading about how the staff had plenty of people, but the CCIA didn't. Typed it up in about half an hour. Forgive the pain.

For the sake of keeping things here. Both Baystation and Paradise have stated the ckey you provided here was not a ckey they've had as staff.

Yeah, as explained on Discord, it was a while ago. I'm not quite sure which server it was, I don't think it was either of them. Regardless, experience with these servers isn't being listed in this application.

Interview with Brutishcrab:

[2:14 PM] Whiterabit: 1. During a round of Ninja, you are faxed by the Station Command inquiring about an “inspector” who claims to have been sent to evaluate each of the departments. How do you respond?

[2:17 PM] BrutishCrab51: I'd send a FAX to the relevant Head of Staff, or Captain if it was the case, to inform them that an inspector hadn't been sent by Central Command, but that vessels in the region were being subjected to inspections. I'd as well, request relevant input from the Head of Security (If he wasn't the one who sent the FAX), and the Head of Personnel, to confirm the identification and purposes of the inspector. While CCIA do exist to facilitate an overhead of sorts for the station, and aren't there to stop antags in their tracks, it's important to remember that rewarding Heads of Staff for remembering that they aren't alone is a valid option.

[2:18 PM] BrutishCrab51: Rewarding in the more informational sense, so they aren't left having to deal with an "inspector" without suspicion, at least. Gives leeway to the Ninja, and to the Heads of Staff, without confirming anything.

[2:18 PM] Whiterabit: 2. During a round of Crossfire, you are faxed by the Station Command about a team of mercenaries who have reported a band of pirates operating in the area and wish to offer their services as additional security. Command wishes your advice on the situation. How do you respond?

[2:21 PM] BrutishCrab51: I'd request information regarding the mercenary team, state that the local hiring of mercenaries was an unorthodox measure usually reserved for NT higher-ups, and then inform the Station Command that choosing to hire or disperse the team was up to the choice of their Captain or Head of Security, given even Visitors can be enabled as temporary staff in the event of an emergency. I'd also inform Station Command that NanoTrasen Martial Vessels were located in Tau Ceti, if the station were to experience serious distress, but that any response would be seriously delayed.

[2:22 PM] Whiterabit: 3. You receive an emergency message from the station’s Artificial Intelligence. It claims that there is an emergency situation and requests an immediate ERT deployment. How do you respond?

[2:24 PM] BrutishCrab51: I'd request further information regarding the situation, question as to why a Head of Staff did not send a message, and FAX the various offices of the Heads of Staff on the station to investigate whether or not the request was valid. Otherwise, given the lack of other information, an ERT would not be deployed.

[2:24 PM] Whiterabit: 4. You receive a fax from the Internal Affairs Agent, he claims that the Captain has been abusing his authority by removing all of the vending machines from the station and has demoted an engineer for littering. How do you respond?

[2:26 PM] BrutishCrab51: I'd respond by stating that the Captain is the ultimate authority onboard the NSS Aurora, and can remove any member of the station's staff for temporary suspension or demotion as he sees fit, given he's loyalty implanted, and is the Captain. No action would be taken unless the IAA chose to file an incident report.

[2:26 PM] Whiterabit: 5. In your own opinion, how much of a role should Central Command play in the affairs of the station? When is it appropriate for them to intervene and by how much should they attempt to shape the round?

[2:29 PM] BrutishCrab51: Central Command is the background oversight of the Aurora. In an ideal situation, they wouldn't even appear or be noticed aside from non-admin events, such as warnings regarding migrations or the likes. They're the firm hand when a situation has gone above and beyond what the Station Command can handle, and they've been informed of it. Intervention depends on the situation, of course, such as a mutiny that cannot be put down, or a massacre onboard the station, or a medical emergency that cannot be handled by the Medical department, or other such similar events. Usually, this intervention comes in the form of a FAX for a mutiny - to warn and put down the mutineers through diplomacy -- and failing that, an ERT. Essentially, Central Command should only act as they're requested by the station, they're reactional to the events on the station, not the cause of it.

[2:30 PM] Whiterabit: 6. What do you think is the purpose of the Incident Report system?

[2:32 PM] BrutishCrab51: To provide a long-lasting, IC forum for people to raise issues against each other for would-be violations of the Corporate Bylaws, or simple complaints, much as they may not be taken seriously by the CCIA. It's essentially the IC complaint department of NanoTrasen.

[2:32 PM] Whiterabit: 7. What do you believe should qualify a character for receiving significant action such as a demotion as opposed to a lighter response such as a warning or even re-training? What about a full character firing?

[2:35 PM] BrutishCrab51: We'd have to take a look at Corporate Regulations for this. Usually, of course, people receive warnings and re-training before they're flat-out fired or demoted. But, it could be a number of issues. Serious, major harassment. Gratuitous assault. Consistant insubordination, or otherwise just ignoring warnings and continuing with problematic behavior.

As for demotions, it's usually gross failure at your job, abrasiveness, insubordination, the likes. Abusing the powers of your job often play into this.

[2:36 PM] Whiterabit: 8. After taking an IR of your own and completing your interviews, you find that an officer escalated to a forceful arrest when a crewmember resisted detainment. The original reason for the arrest is deemed invalid, however, the officer argues that in resisting arrest the crewman legitimized the detainment. What do you think would be the best way to resolve this case? Why?

[2:38 PM] BrutishCrab51: A re-training of the officer regarding arrests, and an official warning. This may include a temporary demotion of the officer to Cadet for the purpose of re-training. Alongside this, a brief warning to the crewmember to cooperate with Internal Security whenever necessary, and that there are ways aside from physical resistance to ensure that the action is punished. No further action would be taken unless the behavior of the officer was reoccurring.

[2:39 PM] Whiterabit: Last question

[2:39 PM] Whiterabit: 9. Your application, as you noted, was very quickly thrown together. Additional, you've claimed to have dropped out of staff positions quite quickly before when you found out that you weren't interested, and your reasons for joining seem to be mostly due to the staff shortage. How certain are you that your activity will remain consistent in the long-term?

[2:41 PM] BrutishCrab51: I've been on Aurora every day for the last three months. It's a server I genuinely enjoy, and I feel like taking a part in CCIA activities are one of the ways I can help out. I've been dedicated to it, been pushing for the development of lore with Jackboot and Zundy, been progressing characters on the server in the form of Halstere and Cypret, as opposed to the gut reactions I had on previous servers when I was younger, years ago, seeking power for power's sake. I can assure you, I'll remain active for as long as Aurora's around.

• 4 weeks later...