[Accepted]Tomiix's Tajaran Application Part 2 Electric Boogaloo

BYOND Key:TomiixStarslasher

Character Names:Azala Huz'kai, Sir Ver, Jedark Korpar

Species you are applying to play:Tajara

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):Silver or Wheat

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:Yessir

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I do like the design of the Tajarans first and foremost. The Tajaran political conflict is less interesting to me then the mannerisms that they have. Tajaran culture and they way they behave and the way that their culture formed is more interesting to me. The way that there is clear racism in their society... but the racism isn't superficial. Each ethnicity in Tajaran culture do have clearly breed differences. Sure, these differences don't make them worth more than one another morally wise, but character wise? Their interactions with each other and how they value each other based on race, and the fact that they base their assumptions and how they treat people on more than mere stereotypes is interesting to me. I am also intrigued by the NKA the most, and would like to eventually make a character that explores that facet of Tajaran life more.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:The most obvious difference is that Tajaran have different social norms than humans do. Especially their emphasis on avoiding nouns that seem to personal, like you and me. Preferring to refer to each other as him and her. While maybe not intended but certainly as a result this wildly shapes how they look at gender as well. Besides this obvious surface detail, they also are heavily impacted by the sudden appearance of an advanced civilization on their lives. The Tajaran people and their land is viewed widely as a resource to be used while they are weakened in their own civil war. Nanotrasen has been able to get away with inserting itself into Tajaran life, and is impacting the outcome of this species. Therefore, they are certainly not as culturally advanced as humanity, and are much more traditional. Also coming from a time of feudalistic oppression, they are certainly more rebellious than Unathi are. A species I am used to playing.

Character Name:Luka Abdul-Jarih

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphsLuka Abdul-Jarih was born to a average M'sai family in the then PRA controlled Dymtris who ran a family run pharmacy. As a young child Luka had aspirations to be a hero, like the ones he was told of in stories. His parents promptly nipped this in the bud, informing him he had a duty to help run the family business as the only child. Establishing early on that he had a duty expected of him. As he grew older his dreams of being a superhero became more practical, as he became interested in emergency services. However, his overbearing parents continued to dismiss his goals into young adulthood. Luka would sneak off to First-Aid courses taught by the IAC, and his parents would schedule him with more hours alone in the shop. Leading to an absurd climax where the pharmacy would be open until two in the morning, with a tired Luka studying from a book behind the counter alone.

The contradictions with Luka’s wants and expectations continued with Luka’s arranged marriage. Luka’s parents arranged a marriage between Luka and another businessman's daughter to unite the two families to help their joint survival. Luka however had no interest in women, and shuddered at the thought of having to live with one for the rest of his life, daming him from having a partner he could love. Luka had interests elsewhere, in a childhood friend that he had always been drawn close to. Although he didn’t reciprocate his feelings, and had female friends of his own, Luka kept a unhealthy obsession and closeness with him.

Luka’s conflicts with authority informing his life decisions, and with him having very little to say about it culminated in one climatic event, the NKA’s declaration of independence from the PRA, and the PRA’s occupation of Dymtris. Luka was 16, and running the store during one of his cruel late night shifts when he began to hear artillery fire. He looked outside, and to his shock found that buildings began to crumble as the city was under siege. At first he was shocked, but then frightened, not for his own saftey, but the safety of the people around him. As injured tajaran fled to the streets, Luka began taking them in and treating people to the best of his amature ability. The night ran long and hard, and Luka indiscriminately rush to treat as many Tajara has he could. Not even noticing when the artillery fire stopped and when the PRA began marching onto the city. Luka continued to run out and drag Tajaran into his care, treating them indiscriminately in a stress induced furor.

Until finally, he was physically grabbed by a PRA soldier he had treated while he was treating his close friends father, a NKA rebel with his friend looking on in horror. The soldier demanded the surrender of the injured NKA rebel at gunpoint. The M’sai PRA soldier expressed not wanting to shoot the young man who treated him, but he could not allow him to treat his enemy. Luka, in shock and terrified, was forced to surrender the injured Tajaran. The injured man dragged off while his son looked on in horror. Luka, not wanting to see the result of his cowardice, went back to work. Unable to hear the gunshot or the sobs of his best friend as it was drowned out by the moaning for aid from the injured hoard of Tajarans in his pharmacy.

After other medically trained Tajara volunteered to help, Luka rested. Waking up to find out he lived in a PRA occupied Dymtris. Amongst most of the people, Luka was regarded as a hero. Hearing the story of the young man who helped save so many, he became a local folk hero overnight. Only being spared being silenced by the PRA occupiers by the fact that without him many PRA soldiers would of died as well. However, amongst all of this praise, Luka could not feel any more defeated. He would still be stuck in a city that was no longer theirs, in a family business he didn’t want, with a wife he could never love, without the support of a best friend he had lost when he failed him. One night, Luka wordlessly ran from home with everything he owned and went underground, being smuggled off world for a brighter future. Luka chose the name, Luka Abdul-Jarih. A combination of a portion of his original name and Abdul-Jarih, meaning ‘servant of the wounded’. He proceeded to sign up for a contract with the space corporation Nanotrasen. Working and getting an education with EMT and Paramedic certifications. To his family and friends, the Luka of old is gone, what will the new Luka Abdul-Jarih bring to the galactic theater?

What do you like about this character?While his backstory is very dark, he actually has a lot to be happy about. Luka is now free in a twisted sense. Although he is stuck working with Nanotrasen in a less than advantageous contract for him, his world of opportunities are much wider than they have ever been. He can be more of himself, and enjoy free choice. He will certainly have moments where the stress will get back to him, and will still have to conflict with his romantic feelings, but in general this is a character who will be happier to play than my other ones.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I don't like tooting my own horn, but people seem to like roleplaying with me, some going out of their way to coordinate with me. So that is pleasant.

Notes:This is my second attempt applying with the same character. Although the backstory is LONGER now, the real part where this app shines better than the other is that it has more focus and is more historically accurate and friendly. It also has less bait and jokes in it, as people seemed to not appreciate memes being sprinkled before and after the backstory.

I'm still not really a big fan of the character. It just doesn't really resonate or jive with me. But it does show a good understanding of the lore and is a clear large improvement over your previous application. I'm notably disappointed that no one provided any feedback though. Everything I wanted to discuss about it has already been discussed in PMs and while the phrase "folk hero" triggers me, the scale of local I suppose is small enough to be passable. So long as he doesnt try to claim to be the hero of Dymtris or something of large scale.

Application accepted.