[Accepted] HunterRS's Head of Staff Whitelist - Jordan Hudson

BYOND key: HunterRS

Character names: Edgar Dawnguard, Marcus Aquila, Mitch Bradford, Athena, Praetorian, Centurion, Jordan Hudson (Applying with, will play if accepted)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Three years now? I've lost track

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I would like to IC and OOC help players by giving them someone that they can ask questions about or need assistance

Why did you come to Aurora?: I came here to RP after being told about from a friend.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: Yup!

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is the interaction between two or more characters controlled by an outside source in a setting that wouldn't really be realistic or viable at the time. It should include all parties and not try to go against anyone in particular. I try to always keep everyone involved in my RP due to being a DM in a DnD campaign.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: Head of Staffs should be able to accept criticism and be able to answer questions about the department/job they know about the most. They are suppose to set an example for the rest of the players to follow. If a Head of Staff character is being insulting or so, other players may follow the example due to nothing happening because they are whitelisted (Which I doubt would happen)

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: On top of what was said prior, all whitelisted players are supposed to set an example on what they were whitelisted for. Whitelisted players in general should also guide and help players get whitelisted if they want it, to increase the amount of people on server and on the whitelist, bringing more people in

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Jordan Hudson

Character age: 57

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): Jordan thought he had everything. Being born to a nice family on Earth, he was very spoiled by his mom, Annie Hudson and disciplined by his dad, Xavier Hudson. But then his mother died due to complications with cancer when he was five years old. The loss was big for his family, and it led to depression from Jordan for many years, and something he still deals with to this day. After that, his father knew he had to protect him. He disciplined him, taught him right from wrong, and when Jordan finally went to school, he was ready. His father, a great businessmen and helped many businesses rebuild themselves. He taught him about business and hard work. When he started school he was a bit behind because of the absence of his mother, but he caught up quickly with hard work and dedication and graduated.

When Jordan was 17, he was driving home with a friend of his and saw something that changed his situation on life. They found a small shop that looked terrible, as he learned more he found out the employees were treated horrible, barely paid and terrible conditions. Seeing the travesty he fought for the rights of the employees and helped the business shoot back up. After the incident he decided she was going to study Human Resources to help improve the safety and care of humanity and other species.

After his years of school and being on the head of multiple clubs, he went off to college near his hometown, (Present day PA), he was there for his undergrad before transferring to Nanotrason Academy. He studied Human Resource Management. After he finished his education he went back to Earth to manage a few small businesses before being offered a position as a Head of Personnel at NT.

After working at various stations including the NSS Redemption, NSS Antila And NSS Canis Minor for many years. He was offered a position as a Captain on board the NSS Aurora.

((This character is for my app, I do not play them currently))

What do you like about this character?: Jordan really displays the traits I try to achieve, The ability to deal with multiple departments and know exactly what to do in most situations, and the ability to deal with issues that appear.

What do you dislike about this character?: He focuses too much on directives and discipline, holding his ground unless stated by higher command. His decision won't change unless a massive amount of people disagree with him or told by a higher command.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: He is ready to do his job every day and will go above and beyond to make sure the station and the crew are safe.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: My Own Roleplaying has gotten better over the years, from jumping server to server, to heading back to aurora. I feel like I am hopefully here to stay.

Extra notes: Oh look, Not edgar #BlamePrate

Edited by Guest

Good application overall, but I'd like to see the backstory worked on. From what you wrote.. I know his Mother died and that he works for NT, what else? There's not really any conflict, and past his childhood, he seems to lose any hint of personality he had.

His backstory was really just him trying to deal with the loss and his father trying to take the place of his mother, I will add some stuff to that once I get the chance

Edit: Added some stuff

I'd be willing to give this a +1 if one thing was fixed. The backstory still lacks much in the way of conflict, his mother died and he went to school, and after that he got a job and never had problems again?

I don't see a point of every character having conflict, he has issues I will bring up in character but besides that his life was fine. Not every character needs to have a thing that makes the stand out or a snowflake.

Edit: Added some stuff

Here we are again.

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, I do feel like you do deserve a second chance and for that I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt for once. However, on the other hand I have extreme reservations and I feel as if this application was taped together in ten minutes in a gambit to make Edgar Dawnguard a head of staff.

You have been so damn adamant in the past about making Dawnguard a head of staff that you have made countless numbers of failed applications in the past and have completely ignored (until now, seemingly) the advice of countless players and staff to do away with your ambitions for making him a head and apply with a new character. This has gotten so bad that staff had to outright forbid you from applying for Head as Edgar. Did you eat the ruling, nod your head and begin writing up a new app with a different character? No. You savage madman, you made a staff complaint against Abosh because of his ruling and didn't consider making this app until that complaint was overturned. Your character's backstory is pretty lackluster, and he sounds pretty damn generic. There's nothing wrong with generic, but at the age of 17 he became a bit of an activist for worker rights and decided to go into human resources, and then went to school and got some credentials. Nothing else seemed to happen between those years and the current day? In around 40 years, nothing really happened to write about and add some thickness to his backstory?

That is where I get iffy. Your previous apps shows you are capable of writing a fairly solid backstory. For Dawnguard. You're capable, you're a decent writer. This is a fresh, new character to apply for a head whitelist with and you're telling me this is all you came up? Contrasting this with your past apps, it's pretty damn lackluster. Suspiciously so, in fact.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a big shiny +1. I honestly, truly do. I'm not going to -1 this, but before I can give this my copper seal of approval I want a guarantee that in the event this app gets accepted, I won't start seeing Dawnguard as a Research Director or any other head of staff role unless it's an interim position.

I'm going to come clean with you, me bucko, and if this comes across as harsh it's not because I have a seething hatred-boner for you or because I take sadistic pleasure in this, but it's the truth and what I'm about to tell you is an opinion that is almost a consensus across the entire community, and people have been trying to tell you this in more leaner terms.

Dawnguard is an absolutely god awful character with very few redeeming qualities.

He is, in all honesty, a self-insert proto-Mary Sue and I rarely see anything good ever come out of him. You probably made him at a time when you were new to this server, and he's probably your very first character. I can understand the attachment you're probably feeling to this concept and this character you've come up with. But you have to let him go. I would suggest you straight up delete him off your list of characters, but we know that's not going to happen. Play some new characters. If you're having trouble coming up with a concept for a character, either make a blank template character for a role you want to play more of and develop their personality and backstory as you play through the rounds and interact with other characters in a degree of situations. Alternatively, look at a few pieces of fiction or characters that you like and mash random aspects of those things together until you create an unholy amalgamation of concepts and characteristics and then shape it into a character that fits into the server's setting.

You can do better than Dawnguard. I know you can. Strive to be better.

Snip

I've played Edgar for three years, I've made friends as him and understand your concern, but to be one hundred percent honest, I can't do that. I have put to much time in as Edgar and love my science department. I will be playing other heads of staff and characters. But I will be playing Edgar as Director.

I know it's not what you want me to do, but I can't follow it. Edgar itself has changed a ton from when I first made him, I have developed many flaws I made for him that aren't something I will do. But the reason I like him is because I have so many other people to talk to as Edgar.

Well. I appreciate your honesty, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to give this a -1 then. I can't in good faith support this when you've clearly admitted this app is just a gambit in order to bypass the restriction placed on you against applying as Edgar for a head of staff whitelist.

This app isn't to bypass the restriction, I actually like playing Captain and HoP over RD. So I will be playing them more then Edgar. But thank you for your imput

Edit: I typed that entirely wrong, my fucking bad.

I hesitate to give this my endorsement due to the above conversation, not to mention, the fact that some of the characters you've listed... aren't yours? Centurion is played by CakeIsOssim, and Praetorian is played by Serveris6. Unless you happen to have characters that /just so happen/ to share the exact same names... Something about that kinda raises a brow. I've never seen you play characters with those names, and it would be very easy for another player to mistake the other mentioned characters as yours when in fact they aren't.

I hesitate to give this my endorsement due to the above conversation, not to mention, the fact that some of the characters you've listed... aren't yours? Centurion is played by CakeIsOssim, and Praetorian is played by Serveris6. Unless you happen to have characters that /just so happen/ to share the exact same names... Something about that kinda raises a brow. I've never seen you play characters with those names, and it would be very easy for another player to mistake the other mentioned characters as yours when in fact they aren't.

To add onto this, Athena is played by Drivermonkey.

To add onto this, Athena is played by Drivermonkey.

Athena is my AI, The two others are my Cyborgs, If they are taken names I can understand, they are pretty common names

Also the fact that I don't play them often, probably once or twice a week.

Edited by Guest

Edgar (yes, Edgar. This is who you are applying for, the staff just wanted a different approach at this) is a good scientist, and is a good roboticist, and overall has all the traits I think (bar one) to be an RD. Unfortunately he lacks the most important one: I don't think Edgar is a good leader.

Edgar definitely strives to do everything, and does it well on many situations (teleportatoing the Captain out of the merc ship, what a fucking madman jesus christ) but I don't think he's RD material- Then again, I don't believe I have had a very good look at Edgar so far, so I do not think I have a privilege to judge as much there. What I will be giving a -1 for is, having so recently made an app, had it denied for the purpose of "no, edgar needs a fucking break, do a new" you have not played (as far as I have seen) any new characters to any such degree you have played Edgar, and the last time your app was denied because "please do something else other than Edgar" you got rather perturbed about it and promptly made a complaint about it when it was pretty valid salad- But you did it anyway, because you really like Edgar. And I can get with that.

I really like my character, and I rarely play other ones, but I try and improve them as much as possible, At every opportunity I reach for improvement, and strive to do better. I think before making another Head Application, try to take a break and improve Edgar as a whole, and even play some other characters, and come back with a new outlook and an improved character, which can give a lot of players faith in you to give a +1 in the future. Until then, a -1 from me, but this may change with a reply.

edit: Even though I still do not believe Edgar as a character from what I have seen of him should be a Head of Staff at this stage, I cannot deny I have not seen much of them, and of HunterRS themselves OOCly. Moving to a 0.

Edited by Guest

+1, Over the year or so that Hunter has been on Aurora I have seen him progress in Science operations. I feel that his roleplay capability is up to par with Command-level requirements. He show apt skill in various areas of the mechanics (except biomechanical repairs), and I feel that he has the science roleplay figured out. Looking at this application, however, it is clear that this is one of the situations where a character is made for application purposes to gain whitelist. I have not roleplayed or seen the character that is on this application, but I feel from prior experience with his main character and his officer character, Marcus, that the traits that are required of Command will translate over. Please note there may be a slight bias to this +1, but in honesty I feel that it is well earned and deserved. OOCly, I believe that Hunter is attempting their best to make situations better, and make roleplay interesting. They are passionate about anything they do, so I feel that they could take this and run with it if given the chance.

Edgar (yes, Edgar. This is who you are applying for, the staff just wanted a different approach at this) is a good scientist, and is a good roboticist, and overall has all the traits I think (bar one) to be an RD. Unfortunately he lacks the most important one: I don't think Edgar is a good leader.

Edgar definitely strives to do everything, and does it well on many situations (teleportatoing the Captain out of the merc ship, what a fucking madman jesus christ) but I don't think he's RD material- Then again, I don't believe I have had a very good look at Edgar so far, so I do not think I have a privilege to judge as much there. What I will be giving a -1 for is, having so recently made an app, had it denied for the purpose of "no, edgar needs a fucking break, do a new" you have not played (as far as I have seen) any new characters to any such degree you have played Edgar, and the last time your app was denied because "please do something else other than Edgar" you got rather perturbed about it and promptly made a complaint about it when it was pretty valid salad- But you did it anyway, because you really like Edgar. And I can get with that.

I really like my character, and I rarely play other ones, but I try and improve them as much as possible, At every opportunity I reach for improvement, and strive to do better. I think before making another Head Application, try to take a break and improve Edgar as a whole, and even play some other characters, and come back with a new outlook and an improved character, which can give a lot of players faith in you to give a +1 in the future. Until then, a -1 from me, but this may change with a reply.

I would like to counter with two things. One I havn't made an app in over a year. And the complaint I made was to repeal an stance that was made last year. And Edgar himself has changed a lot.

+1, Over the year or so that Hunter has been on Aurora I have seen him progress in Science operations. I feel that his roleplay capability is up to par with Command-level requirements. He show apt skill in various areas of the mechanics (except biomechanical repairs), and I feel that he has the science roleplay figured out. Looking at this application, however, it is clear that this is one of the situations where a character is made for application purposes to gain whitelist. I have not roleplayed or seen the character that is on this application, but I feel from prior experience with his main character and his officer character, Marcus, that the traits that are required of Command will translate over. Please note there may be a slight bias to this +1, but in honesty I feel that it is well earned and deserved. OOCly, I believe that Hunter is attempting their best to make situations better, and make roleplay interesting. They are passionate about anything they do, so I feel that they could take this and run with it if given the chance.

I'm not sure where others were going with applying as a specific character, the application at least to me is on the merit of the player. You've always given me good roleplay and interactions, +1

Thank you both for your comments, and I appreciate the kind words. Zelm, I will break that arm :P

One other thing, then. The role of a head of staff is just as important OOC as it is IC, as you're meant to be a mentor and guide of sorts to new players and people unfamiliar with certain roles.

With this in mind.... If I am to be very blunt, you are an incredibly immature person when things do not go exactly your way. You do not respond very well to criticism and cry foul at the smallest perceived slight against your person. You really, really need to work on growing a thicker skin. It's not a good look if I'm gonna be honest, and I'd like to see you take things a little more gracefully before I can give you a +1.

Until then, I remain -1.

One other thing, then. The role of a head of staff is just as important OOC as it is IC, as you're meant to be a mentor and guide of sorts to new players and people unfamiliar with certain roles.

With this in mind.... If I am to be very blunt, you are an incredibly immature person when things do not go exactly your way. You do not respond very well to criticism and cry foul at the smallest perceived slight against your person. You really, really need to work on growing a thicker skin. It's not a good look if I'm gonna be honest, and I'd like to see you take things a little more gracefully before I can give you a +1.

Until then, I remain -1.

I understand and if I am going to be honest, I see that as a problem. That is something I work in IRL, it's something I have improved upon a lot and will continue to improve, but not something that is instant. Thank you still for your feedback