[Accepted] Sparky_Hotdog's IPC Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: Sparky_Hotdog

Character Names: Audrey Catleay, Fadil Mikhailov, Terrell Parker, Yasir Al-Barik

Species you are applying to play: IPC

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I would like to play as an IPC because of how different they are to every other species. They have no home planet, no place they can say, "That belongs to me and my fellows". The next, and most obvious reason is the fact they aren't organic, they have laws and directives they must follow, and aren't accepted as being fully sentient.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Playing an IPC is different because of their inorganic state. They have strange mannerisms created as unexpected side effects in their coding. They experience what could be considered "Space Racism", yet they are incapable of understanding that they are being biassed. They speak, think and act in the most logical sense they can.

Character Name: Aqua

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

04/12/2450. The experimental 4Q-U4 modified Xion Industrial Frame was given a positronic brain. 4Q-U4 was a trial of a new idea, and extensive modifications had been made to it. The researchers on the water planet Grothix-9 had modified the agile frame for underwater exploration and research. The scientists had added retractable fins, one on the top of their head, each side and back; one on each arm and leg; and four on their back. Cylindrical extrusions were added to the back, with propeller inside for quick and agile control while submarine. And of course, the whole frame had to be water-tight.

08/05/2456. After years of training and testing, Aqua’s machine learning was finally deemed fit to be put into use. The IPC explored the waters of Grothix-9, and was tasked with finding the ideal location for an underwater colony. During this time, 4Q-U4 developed their personality. The IPC became very unethical after months of solitude, and while effective, some of the scientists' concerns grew.

09/07/2457. The Gothrix-9 scientists received a signal from the submarine frame. The specifications for the colony had been found, and the coordinates were sent to the researchers. After it had retired back to mission control, the scientists dispatched new modified Hephaestus Generation 2 Industrial frames to build the colony, and sold the IPC who had named themselves Aqua, to NanoTrasen, who sent Aqua to another ocean world: Tybez-12c.

13/03/2459. After several years of researching submarine phoron pockets, a privateer ship crash landed into a phoron pocket near Aqua. Aqua was critically damaged in the resultant explosion, but the privateer survivors rescued the IPC. Unfortunately, while Aqua was repaired, the modifications couldn't be fixed by NanoTrasen, as they didn't have the schematics. While they contacted the original researchers, and due to their unique perspectives on the topic, Aqua was reassigned to NanoTrasen's primary phoron research station, NSS Aurora.

What do you like about this character?

I like this character because I haven't played much in science on Aurora, and feel a robot would be perfect to try this out with, while also providing some interesting roleplay. In terms of the character themselves, I have taken care not to refer to them as he/she, to symbolise the fact they don't believe in gender, or at least any difference between them. The fact that their second personality could also provide some interesting roleplay as well is also really cool.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

About a 6/10. I've played quite a bit if this server now, and other RP games too.

Notes:

Thank you for considering my applocation

Edited by Guest

Gonna have to -1 this. Never seen any of your characters, so this is all based on the application. Your general questions are a bit short. The backstory is the biggest issue. First off, Skrell bois don't like IPCs, they don't make IPCs, they don't trust IPCs. Also.. why would a shell made specifically for use in water be put in space? They could get a lot more use out of something so expensive where it was, y'know, intended to be used.

Indeed, your backstory may need some work. Synthetics as a whole are outlawed in Federation space due to the Glorsh Rebellion some 400-odd years ago. It'd also be a little strange to utilize the most expensive and advanced humanoid synthetic design (the Shell) for use underwater. It would be dramatically cheaper to refit any other chassis type. My advice would be to change locations to, say, the frontier on some randomly-named ocean planet, and also perhaps not make them a shell. The last part is really up to you but, like I said, the Shell is the most expensive and advanced form of IPC in the galaxy right now.

Still gonna have to -1 this. The backstory is a mess after your edit, to be honest. It says they're a human-shaped Xion frame.. that's not how it works. Xion frames are shaped like Xion frames. Why would they make a shell to do somewhat dangerous field work? It's a problem that you gave them laws, IPCs do *not* have laws. An IPC also cannot modify it's own programming, so, making a new lawset for itself is bad anyway. It seems silly to take an IPC made for the water, and put him in space because he "wasn't perfect" y'know? Also, what will the IPC do on-station? Did they buy their freedom, or are they owned by NT?

What tbear pointed out is correct regarding frames, laws, programming, etc. That will need to be adjusted before I can give this app my support. I recommend taking another look at the wiki and addressing tbear's points.

I would like to see a less hand-wavey method of Aqua coming to NanoTrasen. You should put the same amount of thought into this as you did with her backstory.

This said, I like the story concept. The fins are a neat detail (Though unsure how compatible that is with lore), and it makes sense to use an IPC for underwater exploration and research. A background of underwater exploration would prepare her for space, and as she was built for research, I can see her being on the Aurora science team. I just want to know how and why Aqua was brought about the Aurora. I also wouldn't mind some more details on her personality.

All in all, I think another look at the wiki, past IPC whitelist apps (There have been many recent ones), and a serious rewrite are in order. I like her background and I think she could be a great addition to the cast, but first the issues need to be addressed.

Love to see you took the time to consider what was said and elected to overhaul the story. It's good that you're being open to criticism and taking advice, and it says great things about you. I wanted to open by acknowledging your effort, as it's never easy to delete or change something you've worked hard on.

You addressed a lot of the good points brought up by tbear. No laws, Xion frame stays a Xion frame, removed the handwavey "Wasn't perfect, slap them on a state-of-the-art research facility" bit... These were major concerns, so it's nice to see those taken care of. The underwater aspect and history of Aqua remains, which I'm personally glad was kept. We know that NT owns them now, too, and I can believe how they came to the Aurora.

Had this been all, I would have a +1 for you. But I have concerns about the new detail you had added.

I'm always extremely hesitant when I see people RPing mental illnesses. I don't know if the person behind the character is an expert on them, well-meaning but misinformed (Perhaps gaining their info from equally misinformed shows/movies/games), or completely ignorant. The latter two have a lot of potential for causing friction OOC by RPing the illness based on stereotypes and misinformation, which would cause serious discomfort, frustration, or anger to those who actually live with it IRL. It's a dangerous line to cross unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing. I invite you to ask yourself if this is a necessary part of Aqua's personality. I can't answer that for you, nor will my support hinge on the answer.

What I need to ask you, and what I need a 100% honest answer to, is this: Are you confident that you are well-informed enough about DID to roleplay it realistically, while also keeping in mind the server roleplaying rules?

I'm not asking if you have DID or know someone who does. I'm not prying into your life or being skeptical of you specifically. This is something I'd ask of anyone. An honest yes or no will do it for me, though of course you are under no obligation to answer anything I ask of you. I'm just a player like you.

I'm still not a huge fan of the backstory. It seems very unlikely that Nanotrasen couldn't fix a retracting fin. The split personality thing is a major issue as well. IPCs, as far as I know, cannot develop or program themselves, and a new personality has to come from somewhere. Additionally, why would NT put an unstable IPC on one of their stations? They could wipe the new personality in 15 minutes and have a stable, reliable IPC.

Still a -1 from me.

Okay, first, the modifications damaged weren't just "retractable fins".

Second, Aqua was one personality, which split into two when it was left in solitude.

Third, NT wanted to keep Aqua's personalities for their knowledge and views on phoron research.

Well, my point still stands, I doubt NT would have problems repairing roboboi.

Why would an IPC just randomly split into two personalities? Someone would need to code that, even if the behavioral part was already there.

Why would NT keep the instability though? They could take the knowledge and remove the bipolar part. What 'unique' views does he have on phoron research, anyway?

The modifications were unique. It's like asking a nuatical engineer to fix an aeroplane. The split personalities may have been coded in by a researcher, but not to Aqua's knowledge. I wrote the backstory as everything Aqua know. Why they would keep them unstable? They aren't, and Aqua now reject any treatment for their condition. Finally, their outlook on phoron is just data they have in their memory banks, but still valuable.

The modifications were unique. It's like asking a nuatical engineer to fix an aeroplane.

I mean, I doubt a giant megacorp would buy something that was only partially functional, if they couldn't fix it. That's a lot of money, after all. I also still don't get why the modifications are so hard to fix anyway. What are they, exactly?

The split personalities may have been coded in by a researcher, but not to Aqua's knowledge. I wrote the backstory as everything Aqua know.

Okay, why would someone randomly give an extremely expensive IPC mental issues? If you can't figure out a reason he'd have the problem, don't add it in.

Why they would keep them unstable? They aren't, and Aqua now reject any treatment for their condition. Finally, their outlook on phoron is just data they have in their memory banks, but still valuable.

Why is the IPC rejecting treatment? Don't his 'make science data words' utilon values make him want to? Why say he has 'unique perspectives' if he just has regular data that they've probably already discovered for themselves? Where did he learn so much about phoron, or science in general, anyway?

For the record, still a -1, if any admemes can't tell.

The backstory is slightly better now, but not by much. Why would they be given two personalities? It serves no purpose whatsoever. It still doesn't explain how they learned so much about phoron and researching in general either.

Itanimulli, was that first sentence really necessary? Also, I believe the fins were the part that was left unrepaired by NT according to the backstory, so there is no need to represent them.

As for the app, I think it's time the lore team weighed in. I have nothing more to add after these edits, and remain neutral on the app as it stands.

I thank you for your feedback. As Doxmedearly said, the fins were damaged and unrepaired, so there is no need to represent them. The second personality was added for research aswell, but into philosophy. As for the phoron research, I would need help from the lore team before I could say what Aqua could have found out.

A little late, but I have been a lot busier than normal. Apologies once again for the delays [mention]Sparky_hotdog[/mention]

Pretty much my only gripe at this point is that I question the validity of any AI naming itself without context. Like, Aqua naming itself Aqua after its original name was 4Q-U4 is fine, but its split personalities naming themselves the two halves coincidentally (and seemingly without context) seems a little strange.

How does Aqua know what personality is needed the most at any given time? Are they extremely dominant personalities, or are they more akin to an ego/superego?