[Accepted] MoondancerPony's Unathi Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: MoondancerPony

Character Names: ResearchMate 2459, Monica Huntington, Rita Falcone

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Dark khaki (sandy green), #bdb76b

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

In my opinion, Unathi lore is the most well-developed and interesting lore for all the species, humans (and IPCs, unfortunately) included. They have an ongoing and frequently updating narrative that's not only interesting and thought-provoking but also relevant to characters on and off the station. Their culture is intricate and interesting, allowing it to be easily incorporated into a character's backstory in an interesting way. Their news articles, specifically, provide a variety of different perspectives on the issues Unathi have, with a sort of nuance that I feel the Tajara conflict lacks.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Unathi have a very strong cultural identity based around their faith and their clan, and for those loyal to the Izweski Hegemony, their nation. The concept of duty and honor is also very much engrained in them, and no other species has such a pervasive cultural identity (regardless of what faith, clan, or nation you are from) besides the Unathi. Your position in society is very much determined by your clan and honor- a Guwan will spend their life as the lowest of the low, while the heir to a powerful clan may live in relative luxury. There's not much in the way of upward mobility in society, save for perhaps marriage, and none for a Guwan.

There are also the mechanical differences, of course- ethanol being toxic, cold temperatures being dangerous, and so on.

Character Name: Hiwozir Akhandi

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Born on Moghes in early Kasavakh in 2440 to the traditionalist Akrunz clan (as one of three eggs laid in the same clutch) shortly after the atomic exchange between the Traditionalist Coalition and the Izweski Hegemony, he had no established home or village as his family was forced to flee their village and abandon their livelihoods to escape the rapidly encroaching radioactive wastelands. His earliest memories are of struggling to survive, travelling to various villages and begging, stealing, and doing other unscrupulous acts in order to get food, water, and other necessities for himself and his family.

This persisted until around 2450, when Hiwozir attempted to steal a piece of salted meat from a temple in a village he and the remains of his clan had travelled to. Unbeknownst to him, it was a temple of the Akhanzi Order, and he was almost immediately caught by an Akhandi. Instead of punishing him, however, the Akhandi sat him down and shared the piece of meat with the young Unathi, while talking with him about various doctrines and beliefs of the Order. Initially, this had no impact on him, and as soon as the Akhandi's back was turned he stole more food from the temple and fled the village with his family, as they usually did. However, soon after his mother and sister fell seriously ill, and though they soon recovered they were never at full health again. Shortly after he was robbed by a Guwan and attacked, giving him a scar across his right eye and losing his ability to see in that eye.

Several other misfortunes befell him and his family as they travelled, and eventually both his mother and sister became sick again and died shortly after. Recalling what he was told by the Akhandi he met, he feared he had disgraced his ancestors and placed a curse upon himself and his clan. He took what little he had and planned a pilgrimage back to the village he met that Akhandi at, believing that the only thing that would act exonerate himself to his ancestors was to repay his debt to the Akhanzi Order that he had incurred through stealing and taking advantage of them.

His brother, having heard of his plans to make his pilgrimage, considered him to be a traitor to his clan and cut off his horn in his sleep as punishment. After, ashamed by his dishonorable deed done in a fit of rage, his brother fled before the morning.

As soon as he was adequately healed, Hiwozir gave his farewells to his father and began his journey, and spent much of his time reliving his past travels, this time taking up more honourable jobs in order to get enough supplies to travel to the next village on his route.

Eventually, at the age of sixteen, he arrived back to the temple and requested to join the Akhanzi Order as penance for his transgressions. He was accepted as an acolyte and began his studies and training under the more experienced Akhandi at the temple, and after two years he proved himself worthy to become an Akhandi. In 2458 at the age of 18, he officially renounced his clan and became Hiwozir Akhandi instead of Hiwozir Akrunz.

Two years passed as he continued his dedication and faith to the Akhanzi Order, learning, teaching, and recording their knowledge and beliefs in the temple. In May of 2460, however, the temple was raided and destroyed, despite several of the shamans giving themselves up willingly to the Maraziite Order in an attempt to get them to spare the temple itself and the knowledge it held. Hiwozir was distraught at yet another disaster befalling him and fled to the spaceport in Skalamar, where he paid a small cargo ship to smuggle him to Tau Ceti. He arrived in Tau Ceti two weeks after his temple was destroyed, and left in the NTCC Odin arrivals bay to his own devices. He was quickly flagged down by a NanoTrasen recruiter looking for new arrivals, and after a short and hurried explanation to a rather bewildered recruiter about the Maraziite crusade against the Akhanzi, hired as a chaplain and promised NanoTrasen-provided housing on the Odin.

However, he is very much unfamiliar with both Izweski Unathi culture and human culture, and so his arrival in Tau Ceti was very harsh for him. His immense loss as well as the culture shock have led to him being lost in a truly alien environment, not used to other species, megacorporations, or space.

What do you like about this character?

Even though he is one of the few Akhanzi remaining, and one of even fewer in Tau Ceti space, his culture shock and the loss of his temple and fellow Akhanzi have dealt a huge blow to his ability to practice his religion and save his culture. As a surviving Akhandi, he has an obligation to restore his religion's texts and teach those willing to learn, but as a victim of the crusade stranded in an alien nation, he's dealing with culture shock as well as overcoming witnessing the destruction of the only concrete home he's ever had and being forced to abandon it and his fellow Akhanzi. To an extent, he blames himself and his 'curse' for it, believing that he still needs to atone for his crimes and exonerate himself to his ancestors.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I don't like this question too much, but I've definitely improved since the last time I applied for something- probably around a 7/10.

Notes: Nothing I can think of. My original attempt at writing this got eaten by the forums, whoops. And then it happened again.

Edited by Guest

Player is exceptional at RP from what I've seen. Can't comment on their Unathi lore knowledge or anything related to Unathi, but I really think they ought to know their stuff, seeing as they do such a swell job in their other characters at portraying fleshed out beings rather than 2D cardboard cut-outs.

The character has a good narrative and story, and I think he will be an interesting addition to the Aurora. I'm not... 100% sure his brother would have been cast out for his actions, but this doesn't have much to do with Hiwozir.

You've selected the correct surname for the character, and I like that he didn't just immediately convert. It's believable. His story showcases Unathi honor and spiritualism, and the importance of both. It seems you have a firm grasp on Unathi lore, and have incorporated the recent news articles and lore updates about the Akhanzi.

Kaed should definitely weigh in here, since the Akhanzi is his creation, but overall it seems you have a good grasp on them. Your RP is pretty solid, as well. I don't doubt you'll be able to uphold the standards of an Unathi whitelist.

+1 from me.

The character has a good narrative and story, and I think he will be an interesting addition to the Aurora. I'm not... 100% sure his brother would have been cast out for his actions, but this doesn't have much to do with Hiwozir.

You've selected the correct surname for the character, and I like that he didn't just immediately convert. It's believable. His story showcases Unathi honor and spiritualism, and the importance of both. It seems you have a firm grasp on Unathi lore, and have incorporated the recent news articles and lore updates about the Akhanzi.

Kaed should definitely weigh in here, since the Akhanzi is his creation, but overall it seems you have a good grasp on them. Your RP is pretty solid, as well. I don't doubt you'll be able to uphold the standards of an Unathi whitelist.

+1 from me.

I wasn't too sure about the thing with his brother, either. I hope the change I made to that specific part works?

Also, thank you for the feedback!

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello! You show a strong grasp of the unathi lore and in particular the akhandi. I enjoy them being a fish out of water. He has pathos but his story isn't one of unecessary tragedy. He is struggling with terrible circumstances but is using his faith and determination to make amends. I also enjoy that you embrace his character failings as such. A very well rounded character, and a well rounded Unathi.

Application accepted!