[Denied] Comet Blaze's IPC Application

BYOND Key: Comet Blaze

Character Names: Axel Smith, Nick Roberts, Ares

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Exempt

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I wish to play this specific race because, ever since I was a child I was fascinated by robots, androids and AI in general. I admired their ability to just focus on the task at hand. I also love the way they analyze a situation, always so objective and calculating. I also love how humorous they can be in the sense that they take things so literally that it's funny, for instance when someone says that flying a space ship "Is not rocket science" and they reply "Flying a space ship is rocket science" (I know it's a bad example but you get the point).

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Unlike humans the IPCs lack a "gut instinct" meaning they will always search for the logical solution to a problem before executing it. IPCs do not require food or beverage, but need to recharge every once in awhile. While some IPCs, like the Hephaestus G1 and G2 are able to EVA with only a cooling system, most IPCs, much like humans, require a hardsuit. However, unlike humans, IPCs don't breathe meaning that instead of packing their hardsuits with oxygen tanks IPCs will use portable suit cooling devices. As stated before, IPCs don't breathe but they still need some sort of gas, to pass the heat, any gas will do and that includes phoron.

Character Name: A.P.L

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

A.P.L started "life" as a bound synthetic working in an industrial vehicle manufacture at New Gibson, where it was known as Connor. It helped maintain the atmosphere and temperature in the bio dome to ensure that workers survived. During that time it dreamt of exploring the many worlds of the Tau Ceti with the vehicles is helped to create. After many years of work Connor (name given to A.P.L) finally managed to pay its own cost over 10 times and pay for it's chassis, a baseline frame, not much but it was all it needed to explore. After taking the test to asses its capabilities to comply with societal functions Connor was transferred to a positronic brain and loaded into its chassis. Connor wished to leave its old life behind and, to reflect its new body, it came up with a new name, Automated Positronic Lad.

Upon being released, A.P.L realized it was now alone against the world, and also broke. It quickly began job hunting, surely there would be someone willing to hire a tireless non nutrient consumer IPC. Given its past job experience A.P.L got a job offer from NanoTrasen to work as an Atmospheric Technician in their newest station the Nss Aurora. It felt strange unable describe what it felt, maybe it was the so called "excitement" whatever it was A.P.L was grateful for the opportunity to explore space.

What do you like about this character? The fact that it is curious about the universe and willing to go through the risk of working at the aurora to satiate it.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I'm decent. I usually play atmos tech and I just look at monitors. I tend to just do the job and keep chatter the technical callouts. So I feel like I would be perfect to play an unfeeling machine.

Notes: Turns out making acronyms is hard

Edited by Guest

From memory, I have not seen or interacted with your characters before.

they always manage to get the right answer

This isn't always the case.

They are never the main character in a movie they are rather a sidekick, and I'd love to fill that role for my colleagues.

You may wish to revise this, as it isn't on-topic.

Unlike humans the IPCs are way more focused on the job, as they do not to worry about eating nor breathing, they are also way sturdier than humans making them ideal for almost every job in the station. Since they don't have to eat IPCs could stay 24/7 doing their job without taking breaks. They'd need to recharge eventually but would be a fast process.

IPCs are designed to fulfill the duties of one or two jobs on the station. I am sure that IPCs enjoy breaks as much as humans do. You should focus this section on how IPCs are different than humans, not better than them.

A.P.L started "life" as a bound synthetic. During that time it dreamt of exploring the many worlds of the Tau Ceti and to pursue what humans called "adventure". After many years of work Connor (name given to A.P.L) finally managed to pay its own cost over 10 times and pay for it's chassi, a baseline frame, not much but it was all it needed to explore. After taking the test to asses its capabilities to comply with societal functions Connor was transferred to a positronic brain and loaded into its chassi, changing its name to Automated Positronic Lad, A.P.L for short.

Upon being released, A.P.L realized it was now alone against the world, and also broke. It quickly began job hunting, surely there would be someone willing to hire a tireless non nutrient consumer IPC. A.P.L was then hired by NanoTrasen to work in their newest station the NSS Aurora. It felt strange unable describe what it felt, maybe it was the so called "excitement" whatever it was A.P.L was grateful for the oppurtinity to go to space.

There's a lot of technical errors here you may wish to edit. It's "chassis" not "chassi." You could make your character more compelling by giving specifics on their backstory. Yes, it bought its freedom, but where did it work? What was it designed for? Why would NT want to hire it? All IPCs are expensive, so its freedom cost is a little more than "not much."

While it is clear you have read the wiki page, you need to make major revisions to your application.

I bet you could be great at playing an IPC, but you have some fundamental misconceptions about what it means to play one.

Hello. My apologies for the delay in the review of your application. Going to be candid here because that's what this should be all about. I really like your passion, but you fall a little short with the backstory still. It's decent, but not great, and I know it can be better because your account's not even a month old since you very first logged into Aurora station. You seem to have a good understanding of the current lore - I'll touch back on this in a second.

Right now, I think it is too early to grant you this species whitelist. I don't know much about you as a player, and it is somewhat amplified by the contents of your application. I think you should take some more time (another month or so) to keep playing. Try playing as an android or cyborg more and make a little bit of a name for yourself. Also take this time to invest in some of the current main events in the lore. You can do this on the forums also by visiting the Galaxy News subforum. Mendell City Bugle will likely have the most currently-relevant information, as it's the setting of our universe.

If you have any questions or want to talk, you can contact me via forum PM or on Discord at Cake#4864.