[Accepted] SlygorTheThirds Unathi application

BYOND Key: SlygorTheThird

Character Names: Shane Steel, Albert Papadov, Goldmann Church, Markus Krakov. DR-PEACE

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Red

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: The unathi are pretty much my favorite race in all of ss13 lore wise, having also played them on other servers, I have a grasp for how to play them from a gameplay perspective. But was never really able to do it from an RP perspective, I feel that if I played them on this server I would probably be at least decent at it in total honesty, choosing them as my first non human race to play as I feel is a safe choice to test the waters with and to also let others judge if im actually good enough to be playing non humans. Their honor system might also be something fun to try and work my character and writing around as well.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: The most obvious difference is their overall appearance and biology, of course them being lizard folk is already an appealing concept to me personally, their differing gender rolls and clan system would be something interesting to play around with, mostly when it comes to possibly playing as a female, which in itself might be a totally different beast from playing as just a male, apart from that they of course come with the fact I could possibly have more interesting interactions with humans, such as the possibility of those biased against unathi trying to start things with them. Overall I feel playing an unathi could have far more interesting outcomes for RP situations than playing a basic human could. Not that both don't have their own moments to shine of course.

Character Name: Garak Vurin

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Born on Moghes under the Vurin clan, Garak grew up mostly as expected getting taught by his mother, while this was mostly to attempt to sculpt him into a model male of the clan, he instead caught onto the more feminine roles, while other boys of his clan enjoyed hunting and combat training, he seemed more adept at the cooking part of hunting, showing intense indifference in the actual act of killing itself. Due to this, most males tended to view him as useful, if incredibly boring. Instead of detailing long adventurous hunts, he would instead prattle on and on about the best ways to prepare the meat that was gathered, something that while definitely important to them, most felt didn't need this much detail or thought put into it. He often found himself clashing with the female cooks of the clan, seeing their food as being under prepared or even too simplistic. While he did of course still eat what he was given, he essentially leapt at the chance to join up with Nanotrasren, for no reason other than the prospect of possibly trying new ways to cook or prepare meat rather than just simply frying it till it tasted good.

Having worked off world for a good few years now, he hopes to further expand his knowledge of the culinary arts, or at the very least the fleshy ones, by working aboard the station and possibly getting recipes from fellow chefs assigned to him. However, despite his open minded nature, he does seem to take criticisms rather hard, instead of simply smiling and moving on, he instead gets unnecessarily defensive, stating that the eater merely doesn't understand how good his food is, that they simply don't know how good meat can be or at the very least how good HIS meat recipes can be. This line of thinking tends to get people under cooked or even less quality meals than those who simply don't say anything about his cooking.

What do you like about this character? Due to his not so violent nature, I feel like he might at least stand out a tiny bit from most Unathi males and if not that, at the very least the fact hes a male chef might at least turn a head or two, whether those heads be Unathi or otherwise will simply need to be seen. His more willing to learn attitude is unlike most of my other characters who seem to be on the more narrow minded side of things.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I overall feel like my rping skills are definetly decent, not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but also not terrible, while my imrpov is a bit lacking, adapting to new situations and the overall chaos of the station is something I overall feel im rather good at, i'd even say during certain round types my rping can actually be pretty good, but for the most part, I'd say im at the very least average. Not amazing but not terrible.

Notes: Writing this was exceptionally stressful and it probably just looks like the ramblings of a madman, so I will 100% understand if it doesn't get accepted. The fact you take time to read it at all is good enough and i'd like to know any places I could possibly improve in!

EDIT: Hopefully this version isn't AS garbage as the original was. I would still very much like to know what points are garbage and what aren't!

Edited by Guest

VyxiNXsr.jpg

The Unathi as a species are born into one of four major scale color categories Red, Black, Orange-brown ("sand colored") and Green. Alternative colours are rare, with dark blue and even albino Unathi being reported in very small numbers. Traditionally these off-colored Unathi are met with prejudice, though some clans outside the Izweski may feel different. The typical healthy adult male Unathi weighs roughly 260 pounds.

- The Wiki

Yeah, I don’t think a pink Unathi is gonna fly unless it’s a nearly white shade of pink. And by nearly white, I mean pretty much white. But we'd have to summon the Lore Gods to be sure.

Besides that, typically applying with a Guwan/Orphanage Unathi is frowned upon, compounded with your unique color scheme people may look at this and see it negatively.

Aside from those points, you had a pretty solid 'Why do you wish to play this race' answer in my opinion, and putting aside the Guwan-ishness of the story, it’s pretty decently written.

Also your answer to the rate yourself question was also pretty solid, where most people just throw a sentence and a /10.

Anyways, good luck, we always need more lizards. ?

Another Guwan. Second one in the past week or so, huh. Anyway, I have a problem with the beginning of your story, though this might just be me. Your ENTIRE clan was murdered in a bloodbath? And as such your age would be indiscernible . To me this is just an excuse to get around making an interesting thing for your clan, which I don't see the issue for it's almost a little too bare on the wiki in my opinion about the culture. Though, that's the glory of it, you can keep your clan interesting as long as they follow the honor-systems of the Unathi.

Beyond this, my personal opinion is that it's very cookie-cutter to be an Orphanage Unathi (though my opinion is a little nullified here as I made a damn Maraziite.). Perhaps if you like Guwans, make one who's done a large amount of things in spite of their clan and was banished from Moghes, turning to NanoTrasen for a way off the planet and a work environment. I don't know, just seems like you grasped the most recent app and went ' I'll also do this '.

Please don't take this as an attack against you, I don't mean to criticize your character overly much. I do enjoy how your backstory was written, and I believe they'd be an interesting character ( If they weren't bloody pink ) to interact with. But as of right now I'm going to give it a -1, based on my interactions with your security officer (Shane Steel). It seems to me you like to RP a little over-the-top to the point of being an obnoxious presence.

Good luck on the Application, there's my two cents!

VyxiNXsr.jpg

The Unathi as a species are born into one of four major scale color categories Red, Black, Orange-brown ("sand colored") and Green. Alternative colours are rare, with dark blue and even albino Unathi being reported in very small numbers. Traditionally these off-colored Unathi are met with prejudice, though some clans outside the Izweski may feel different. The typical healthy adult male Unathi weighs roughly 260 pounds.

- The Wiki

Yeah, I don’t think a pink Unathi is gonna fly unless it’s a nearly white shade of pink. And by nearly white, I mean pretty much white. But we'd have to summon the Lore Gods to be sure.

Besides that, typically applying with a Guwan/Orphanage Unathi is frowned upon, compounded with your unique color scheme people may look at this and see it negatively.

Aside from those points, you had a pretty solid 'Why do you wish to play this race' answer in my opinion, and putting aside the Guwan-ishness of the story, it’s pretty decently written.

Also your answer to the rate yourself question was also pretty solid, where most people just throw a sentence and a /10.

Anyways, good luck, we always need more lizards. ?

Wow im an idiot

Thank you so much for your points! I'll definitely try and rewrite the story a bit, I didn't even THINK about the colour scheme part and will change it appropriately, Pink is just kinda my go to colour when it comes to character designs

Another Guwan. Second one in the past week or so, huh. Anyway, I have a problem with the beginning of your story, though this might just be me. Your ENTIRE clan was murdered in a bloodbath? And as such your age would be indiscernible . To me this is just an excuse to get around making an interesting thing for your clan, which I don't see the issue for it's almost a little too bare on the wiki in my opinion about the culture. Though, that's the glory of it, you can keep your clan interesting as long as they follow the honor-systems of the Unathi.

Beyond this, my personal opinion is that it's very cookie-cutter to be an Orphanage Unathi (though my opinion is a little nullified here as I made a damn Maraziite.). Perhaps if you like Guwans, make one who's done a large amount of things in spite of their clan and was banished from Moghes, turning to NanoTrasen for a way off the planet and a work environment. I don't know, just seems like you grasped the most recent app and went ' I'll also do this '.

Please don't take this as an attack against you, I don't mean to criticize your character overly much. I do enjoy how your backstory was written, and I believe they'd be an interesting character ( If they weren't bloody pink ) to interact with. But as of right now I'm going to give it a -1, based on my interactions with your security officer (Shane Steel). It seems to me you like to RP a little over-the-top to the point of being an obnoxious presence.

Good luck on the Application, there's my two cents!

Right! Thank for your criticisms.

I'll take it down and give it a re-think as best as my empty ass head can!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello!

I'm sorry for the delay in your application. If an appliction ever sits for more than 4 days please feel free to PM myself or my Unathi deputy Sleepywolf.

I see that the original draft was edited based on player feedback and this is very good. You also have an interesting Unathi character concept; exploring the gender norms of Unathi is always a fun way to play off their culture and religious differences to our own.

Application accepted!