[Denied] FalseShepardPie IPC application

BYOND Key: FalseShepardPie

Character Names: Eliza Stamos

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):Exempt.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I’ve always been fascinated by sentient robots/artificial intelligence in media. I enjoy the alternate viewpoints entirely mechanical and constructed beings have on philosophical questions about life and purpose, along with smaller differences in how mechanical bodies interact with the world. Also, robots are just cool.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: IPCs do not process information or communicate how humans do. While they vary greatly, they generally don’t grasp the subtler points of communication, and tend to avoid things like contractions. Their relationships with others is greatly shaped by their legal status as objects, so obedience can be a matter of survival moreso than the other races. Their physiology is also entirely mechanical, so a non-medical IPC is unlikely to understand much about biological bodies, unless it is important to their job.

Character Name: SINA-499

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Shortly before their acquisition by Necropolis Industries, ReapTec sought to change their fortunes by creating a highly experimental ship AI named the Synthetic Intelligence Navigational Aide, or SINA. The project was completed over-budget, so testing was heavily cut to avoid incurring additional costs. During its maiden voyage, communication with the vessel was lost. The vessel itself was eventually discovered in some disrepair, but no survivors or bodies were recovered. Additionally, SINA was not in working condition. Due to concerns over SINAs involvement with the damage, the project was scrapped.

After ReapTec’s acquisition and the firing of all those in charge of the original project, a new experimental AI branch was opened. The goal was to use the advanced and expensive SINA as a basis for smaller, more specialized AI. Some have criticized ‘project SINA’ for using a potentially volatile AI as a base, but more thorough testing has yet to show the SINA models to be ‘sufficiently dangerous’ to scrap the project.

While most of the creations of project SINA never make it past the experimental phases, a few are further developed and placed into integrated chassis. Such models are sold on as specialty workers, after it is judged that no more useful information can be gained from it. SINA-499 is one such model. Originally planned to be a combat medic, it was decided that 499 would be used to test the versatility of SINA models, and was retrofitted to be suited for work in security. After 499’s IPC integration, some internal concerns were raised over the reported ‘endless rage’ some employees claimed to witness. Despite this, there are no recorded incidents of 499 attempting to circumnavigate its laws, and it has shown a great deal of aptitude in the field of law enforcement. Due to this, and the fact that an industrial IPC had already been bought and fitted to 499, she was sold on to NanoTrasen as a Security bot.

What do you like about this character?

SINA-499 has a very literal sense of the law, with even the smallest infraction being worth documenting. Even so, she has learned to prioritize her attention to deal with the largest threat at any given time. While her main ‘emotional state’ is a general sort of anger she is restricted from being particularly cruel, which can lead to comedic scenarios in which she struggles to establish authority, often while discussing mundane offences. She isn’t only mean though, and her original programming as a medic means she will often become protective of any crew members she assists, though she wasn’t designed to express affection. She can be dramatic and funny in equal measure, and she’s just fun to play.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I’m not perfect, but I’d give myself a 7 out of 10? I stick to the internal logic of my character, and I try to make the experience better through my interactions with others, rather than just doing whatever I feel like. Not every interaction is great, but I try to improvise with people to make it all more engaging.

Notes: Any input on how to play an IPC properly on this server is appreciated! Along with input on whether the backstory properly matches the established lore. Thanks!

She would be based on the original framework of SINA prime, so she wouldn't have any left over memories/experiences. She would have similarities in personality and thinking style, so all SINA models will act similarly in the same situations, with variations depending on what experiment they were a part of and their personal experiences. Its kind of like how identical twins start with the same/ very similar genetics but end up being distinct people. Thanks for your questions!

• 4 weeks later...

Out of precedent, I must deny your application.

While it has been up for nearly a month (my fault, does not affect my final decision anyway), your application was posted a day after your first log-on to Aurora station (as of this post, your last login date is October 1, as well). You appear to have a decent understanding of the lore, but I am not comfortable with accepting a very fresh player into the whitelist, and more than lore knowledge will be required to play an acceptable IPC. You even admitted yourself that you're not really sure what you're supposed to do as an IPC in your final note.

You can contact me on Discord at Cake#4864 if you'd like assistance in this matter. My recommendation would be to do that and also play around on Aurora for another few months before reapplying. Playing bound synthetics should be especially beneficial in this regard.