[Accepted] Doggie666's Skrell Application

BYOND Key: Doggie666

Character Names: https://i.imgur.com/qMPUu7H.png

Species you are applying to play: Skrell

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Very Pale Blue #e9f9fb (233,249,251)

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I think that skrell are beautiful. Their unique perspectives, opinions, and thought processes are intelligent and valuable to a station of diverse lifeforms. Their history is incredibly sad, yet they are a rose that grew from concrete. Despise oppression and great tragedy, skrell have countlessly shown strength and resilience. I want to give my best effort to roleplay my take on a skrell. I think so differently from them; I'm all emotion in the way that I think about everything. It will be challenging and something different from other whitelists. Hopefully, I can encourage other people to apply for skrell, too. I rarely seen one, and that's a shame.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Because of the lengthy yet tepid relationship skrell and humans have, it would make sense that there would be some differences between them. Skrell are biologically amphibious, generally shorter than humans, and have big tentacles coming out of their head! Unlike their native language, skrell speak Ceti Basic concisely and efficiently, which may seem short and rude to humans. While they are emotional, they have a difficult time being able to express it in a way that would be recognizable to other species. Skrell are appreciative of art and fashion, but their taste in sleekness is unappealing to many members of other species. Skrell are intelligent and logic-driven, and they are able to make bluespace calculations that many humans would require an AI to do!

Character Name: Whryyl-Diulszi Quub

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs Whryyl was born to two Weishiian scientists studying weather patterns and anomalies at a frigid research facility on Glorashi 4. He was always mesmerized by watching his parents conduct scientific research and knew he would adore doing it himself. Whryyl developed a strikingly pale complexion from playing and observing field research outside in freezing temperatures. As a child, he made friends with the children of several other researchers on the base, and they, too, wanted to pursue various scientific fields like their parents. He and his close friends were devout Weishiians throughout adolescence and confided in religion for motivation and emotional well-being. Whryyl was involved in many extracurriculars, regularly attended religious meetings, and did exceptionally-well in school. He had a wonderful childhood and was accepted into the Gliutip'lyaz University.

Whryyl continued to be a good student at university and graduated with a degree in anomaly research. He tried hard to be a positive figure in the lives of those he cared about, and while seen as a bit eccentric, was generally liked among his peers. While offered a job at his childhood research facility on Glorashi 4, Whryyl sought for new experiences and environments. However, he adopted the colloquial name for the planet, Diulszi, as part of his own name to show his great appreciation for it. Whryyl landed an entry-level research position on Xrim, and although polarized from the starkly different climate, befriended his coworkers. The planet's unpredictable weather and vast, unexplored wilderness ensured that research was always bountiful. Whryyl often overworked himself, although his social aptitude allowed him to begin a long-term relationship with a researcher named Qlesh, whom he had managed to convent to Weishii. While Whryyl dreamed of having a child, his partner was sterile. Despite searching for a surrogate, Whryyl found that many of his friends were also sterile. This made him terribly upset, the ghost of her sterility haunting him for years. Their relationship was strained, but they still found companionship with each other.

By the time Whryyl was forty years old, he was well-respected amongst the local scientific community of Xrim, having published several papers about the planet's weather patterns revealing the previously-unknown cyclic nature of rainfall in certain areas. Whryyl's findings allows the government to build localized hydroelectric power plants throughout Xrim, saving the local government a fortune in the transportation of both water and electricity. One day, a meteor shower struck Whryyl's research facility. While the atmosphere of Xrim managed to take the brunt of the meteors, the facility was completely destroyed by the storm. Most of Whryyl's fellow researchers were killed, and those who survived were subject to severe burns and radiation poisoning. Having left the facility to conduct off-site field research, Whryyl returned to see that he had lost everything, including Qlesh. Without a job or a partner to keep him on Xrim, Whryyl sought intergalactic work contracts, eventually taking a job offer from NanoTrasen in Tau Ceti space. He was chosen because of his well-regarded research. Even though Whryyl had never been on an asteroid before, his advanced knowledge of anomalies meant that he met the qualifications for the position.

What do you like about this character? He is in love with what he does and never tries to be anything more than what he is. He has experienced great loss and vicariously feels the larger effect of the genophage's legacy. He is quite social and friendly, although this may not translate much when speaking Basic. I believe his most colorful interactions will be when he is talking to other Skrell, as he enjoys their company the most.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 7/10 or 8/10 on a good day. I try to make characters that are interesting and try to give all of my characters unique quirks and behaviors. I think that I am best when I can sit down and have a dialogue with another character.

Notes: I am really happy to see other Skrell apps going on right now, and after reading how beautiful they are, it only made sense that this be my next whitelist.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

You show a good knack for the skrell and have written a skrell that incorporates a lot within the life of Whryyl's. He's very much impacted by the realities of the skrell and the legacy of the past. He's a maverick scientist caught up with his work who still finds meaning in community and their religion. The meteor strike wiping out his laboratory comes off as a bit sudden and disconnects a bit from the flow of his arc but it can provide a good reason for his leaving his lucrative position to work on the Aurora.

Application accepted!