[Accepted] Simon's IPC Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: SimonTheMiner

Character Names:

Nikit Vasili: Roboticist

Tamir Hanar: Engineering apprentice

Hashim Prruzhulkanich: Virologist

Luiz Reighner: Forensic Technician

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): IPC's exempt

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, would be dumb to try applying without reading the wiki.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

Well, ever since I joined the aurora, and made the stupid choice of being a roboticist science main, I came to fall in love with IPCs. They have become the highlight of some of my rounds as I got to open them up, repair them, and have a chat with them along the way. I've also dabbled in AI a few times, and while I find playing a synthetic character fun, I feel getting to go down and get my synthetic hands into the nitty gritty of everyday station work would be much more appealing to me. This will also make a fine addition to my whitelist collection.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

The biggest thing that stands out to me that IPC's can only emulate emotions, not actually experience them. They are complex machines but when you get down to it, they think in 1s and 0s, and acted based on cause and effect, not their emulated and fake emotions. While they can mimic organic behavior to a degree, its only good mimicry at best, and not entirely how they actually are. They do, however, use this mimicry to their advantage when trying to purchase their freedom. They will generally speak to their creators in a respectful manner, and may begin speaking similar to them (but not perfectly like them due to their incomplete understanding of languages and such). They will speak in a very literal sense due to their analytical natures, however the way they structure how they speak can vary from individuals (and in a way, similar to how the way different species speak differently from one another, Tajarans in third person, dionaea using we). Synthetics are also unable to modify themselves, and have several kill switches to prevent them from doing so.

Character Name: P.H.A.X.

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Nikit Vasili, mechatronics engineer for Nanotrasen, has always loved working with and maintaining IPCs. They can be the highlight of his day, as he finds them very interesting and sometimes easier to understand than other people are, due to their more analytical way of thinking. Because of this enjoyment with working on them, Nikit decided that he would apply for the ability to officially assemble a G2 industrial frame as he does not have the money to build/buy one for himself. Once he got the go-ahead, he worked on getting the needed parts and fitting posibrain to construct P.H.A.X., dedicating time and effort to ensure that everything was just perfect. After construction, Nikit would look for any excuse under the sun to continue to work with P.H.A.X. (Anything from routine maintenance to straight up asking if they could speak with it for a while). Over time Nikit rubbed off onto P.H.A.X. in its general behavior, causing it to act like Nikit in some ways (including the pro synth values Nikit has). While Nikit would consider P.H.A.X. his own, they do belong to NT as that is who paid for their construction in the end, and a good IPC needs to be able to pay itself off, doesn't it?

Due to the nature of G2 industrial frames and it being what P.H.A.X. was programmed to do, it was assigned to work in the engineering department as a general station engineer. P.H.A.X. did take a little bit of time to learn the ins and outs of how organics interact with one another. It did have the ability to emulate emotions to an average degree, allowing it to make a few basic (and skewed) friendships with people that can prove helpful to it. Because it never specialized in anything in the engineering department, it remained a station engineer and did a little bit of everything. It would step out of the way when others who were clearly more proficient in the field came to take over, and would do it's best to help out if it would make the process faster or more efficient. As Nikit continuously encouraged it to work towards its own freedom with the reasoning that it will allow the IPC more options and choices to pick from. This caused some greed in P.H.A.X., which made it cold towards those who present no advantage to it for make a relationship. It would also begin doing odd jobs or extra work for extra money, assuming the payout would be worth its time in the end for the time it would have to spend on the job.

What do you like about this character?

It's in a department that I know well, is made by a roboticist that is known for his like of synthetics, and has a goal to reach. Playing a character that is literally a piece of property in the eyes of most people would provide for some really good RP interactions, such as trying to stay out of trouble as much as possible, out of fear of being dismantled or being turned into an android or in general working towards it's goal of freedom. It would also be fairly respectful of people in the engineering and science departments, due to them being responsible for it existing and serving as its gateway to eventual freedom. They will likely do what they can to get on as many peoples good side, as that will increase it's chances of reaching its goal (And out of character, I just like being a nice person, this will give me even more reason to be nice).

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I'll give myself an 8 out of 10. I'm much better than I was when I first came to the Aurora, and I have two whitelists under my belt, but I still have some things I can work on a little bit over time.

Notes:

Edited by Guest

Simon is a cool guy, healthy player with a healthy outset on the game.

His characters are pretty fun, involved and so far he's made more than sure that he stays involved in the Tajara lore while at the same time keeping an aura of "modernity" for his character. I like that, I can confidently say that he's a good whitelisted player.

But god above I am not a man to lie and so I'll be frank, I hate that backstory. Frankly this is completely a matter of opinion and I hope it does not impact the whitelist as a whole but I just cannot approve of this without ripping on the backstory.

Nikit Vasili, mechatronics engineer for Nanotrasen, has always loved working with and maintaining IPCs. They can be the highlight of his day, as he finds them very interesting and sometimes easier to understand than other people are, due to their more analytical way of thinking.

Okay I said I'd rip it but I like this part simply because it provides a subtle hint towards Nikit's attitude, using your new whitelist to strenghten your existing character i like that.

Because of this enjoyment with working on them, Nikit decided that he would apply for the ability to officially assemble a G2 industrial frame as he does not have the money to build/buy one for himself. Once he got the go-ahead, he worked on getting the needed parts and fitting posibrain to construct P.H.A.X., dedicating time and effort to ensure that everything was just perfect. While Nikit would consider P.H.A.X. his own, they do belong to NT as that is who paid for their construction in the end, and a good IPC needs to be able to pay itself off, doesn't it?

Now here is where it begins, why did you mention Nikit?

Sure he ASSEMBLED it but he had otherwise absolutely no impact or bearing on the IPC? Really? I feel like this actually weakens your previous point. This is less of an involvement and more of a Stan Lee cameo. I would be okay with this mention if P.H.A.X. was somehow influenced or at least impacted by Nikit but this is like I said before just an empty pointless cameo and makes it seem like you just had an issue hitting 2 paragraphs and decided to include Nikit randomly just to fill out space.

Due to the nature of G2 industrial frames and it being what P.H.A.X. was programmed to do, it was assigned to work in the engineering department as a general station engineer. P.H.A.X. did take a little bit of time to learn the ins and outs of how organics interact with one another, it did know how to be respectful to them. It did have the ability to emulate emotions to an average degree, allowing it to make a few basic friends and opinions.

"Emulating emotions", here is the thing. You stress how Nikit likes IPCs because they're logical and that they don't have "real" emotions yet you keep contradicting yourself. Here you say he made friends, but isn't a friend someone who helps you even if they don't have a net gain? You even say later acting respectfuly out of FEAR of dismantling! You talk the talk but you don't walk the walk in this.

Because it never specialized in anything in the engineering department, it remained a station engineer and did a little bit of everything. It would step out of the way when others who were clearly more proficient in the field came to take over, it would do it's best to help out. It's end goal with this behavior and knowledge of how to be respectful was that it would eventually be able to purchase it's own freedom.

I think you confuse respect and logic. It's logical to step aside and help a professional handle something, it's respectful to let an old lady on a train before you. I fail to see how being respectful would lead to assuming that you could purchase your freedom later. Wouldn't it actually act selfishly and steal jobs from decent folks so it could make money faster? Predatory tactics are logically way more applicable in a company like Nanotrasen then respect.

While P.H.A.X. does desire to purchase it's own freedom, it has a fairly long and decently hard way to go.

So WHY does it want to be free?

I'ms serious, why?

Of course one can easily understand why humans seek freedom when they achieve safety, we like to think of ourselves as important and dislike being obviously controlled by others by nature. But why an IPC?

This robot was built to engineering. Nikit had absolute minimum impact according to the story and you told us yourself that IPCs are logical being that only emulate emotions, so why does this IPC want to be free?

To be frank this seems like you saw what other IPC whitelists did and tried to copy it while also making your own character and these two concepts seem to contradict each other. Frankly this whole app is extremely generic and boring compared to your other, much better whitelist applications. You can do a LOT better, I believe you can dude so why this weak and mellow app.

With a shoulder of an eager (and much smaller than it) creator, P.H.A.X. is not entirely alone in a world that heavily discriminates against IPCs.

Oh hello there Nikit, where were you this IPCs entire life? Jokes aside Nikit seems like a deadbeat dad this entire post, we have 0 words that suggest he did anything to actually support this IPC besides assemble it.

To shorten it up:

The story is weak, mellow, generic and boring but I know you can do better so you better do better or I'll beat you up.

The story is weak, mellow, generic and boring but I know you can do better so you better do better or I'll beat you up.

One, thank you for the honesty, can't improve what I don't know is wrong, and two, once I get a chance today I'll go in and fix some of these things up. :D

Seeing Simon take the frame from the actual station, has added a bit more to this. Simon has done very well with RP, and has loved IPCs for a long time. Two question for you, what would P.H.A.X carry over from Nikiti, and how did you pick the name P.H.A.X? +1 one from me for Simon being a great guy

So my sandwich friend,

What would P.H.A.X carry over from Nikiti

Alb must have rubbed off on me for me to say this but, find out ICly probabky the sterile mask or way of dressing

how did you pick the name P.H.A.X?
As for how, it's because I found a Phazon head in the same round, and I doubt naming an IPC P.H.A.Z.O.N. or P.H.A.Z. would really fly for a reason like that. Originally t was going to be P.H.A.C. but you can see what that sounds like. So I stuck random letters on the end and got P.H.A.X.

So my sandwich friend,

What would P.H.A.X carry over from Nikiti

Alb must have rubbed off on me for me to say this but, find out ICly probabky the sterile mask or way of dressing

how did you pick the name P.H.A.X?
As for how, it's because I found a Phazon head in the same round, and I doubt naming an IPC P.H.A.Z.O.N. or P.H.A.Z. would really fly for a reason like that. Originally t was going to be P.H.A.C. but you can see what that sounds like. So I stuck random letters on the end and got P.H.A.X.

I think the name is good, and I can't wait to play with P.H.A.X to see how they act

While I can't say I like a backstory that directly intertwines one of your own characters so close to another one of your own. I have however seen you multiple times on the server - mostly Nikit and Tamir - and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. You've always stayed true to the lore and interacted in a consistent realistic manner. I do enjoy playing with you on the server and I'd love to see you expand more and make more interesting characters. Hopefully, it's the start of more IPCs as you've grasped Tajarn lore easily, IPC should be a breeze.

Overall, I'm gonna +1 this despite the backstory, simply due to the fact that I believe you've got a solid grasp on roleplay and stay true to the setting all while providing fun to interact with characters.