[Accepted] Jpowell59's Dionaea Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: Jpowell59

Character Names: Samantha Ackerley, Lynsey Bailey, Corey Sulyard, Donavan Kirkson, Brenna Bailey, Elena Rowley, Allen Black, Garris Zimmer, Evangeline Demuth, Luna riker.

Species you are applying to play: Dionaea

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I have always really enjoyed the Dionaea as a species. Their analytical nature, being comprised of multiple beings to form a gestalt. They are just so fundamentally different from the other races and that's what makes them something I would love to learn more about personally. They also play completely different than your average human which can really make for some fun and exciting moments in-game. I've always strangely really enjoyed plant species in games as that is something so very different from your more animal-like creatures that normally inhabit worlds.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Unlike humans, Dionaea move slower, speak slower, and generally act a bit more slowly than humans, but that in of itself does not make them a less intelligent creature. Playing a Dionaea would involve taking your time with everything on top of emotions not really playing a key factor in their choices. Dionaea are usually driven by a desire to learn or pursuing an area that has drawn their fascination. One more important thing to note is that a Diona Gestalt is made up of multiple little nymphs each performing a task to keep the 'body' running smoothly but they all each still have their own desires but have morphed together to follow a common desire they have.

Character Name: A Flash of Light Brings Fleeting Life

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs On a planet in the outer rim worlds, there was a planet that was ravaged by fierce thunder storms for most of it's year. Skittering about were many Dionaea Nymphs, normally dormant throughout the night, but doing the storms they would sit and watch the thunder and lightning in fascination. With each flash, they felt themselves being reinvigorated, their need to conserve energy growing less needed. As time went on, the Nymphs would learn more and more about the thunder, able to predict when it would strike next or when a really big storm was forming. The sound of chirping Dionaea would fill the air during the really big storms as all the nymphs sang their joyous songs of wonder. Eventually a few of these groups would form together to form Dionaea Gestalts to better enjoy their life amid the flashes of energetic light.

As time went on and the years past, the Dionaea continued living their simple lives, observing the storms and migrating to follow them throughout their seasons. One day, a ship would arrive on the planet, damaged by the storms and needing to land for repairs. One gestalt in particular watched as the ship came down, this one more curious than the others. They would watch silently as the strange creatures performed their repairs, they later learned that they were called "Humans". They found themselves fascinated by the sparking vessel as it reminded them of all the storms but in a smaller and condensed variety. The Gestalt would eventually find themselves found out by the Vessels crew, which was a shock as few of them were used to the strange plant-like creatures, but one brave Scientist walked towards the creature and offered his hand. The gestalt would slowly analyze the extended appendage before hovering one of it's nymph "hands" close by for the Nymph to take a small sample of DNA from the creature. The nymph would spread it's knowledge with the rest of it's form as it grew a better understanding of the creature in front of it. The gestalt would keep the crew company for their remaining days on the planet as they finished their repairs, serving as an early warning for when a storm was approaching as well as learning from each other. Upon finishing the repairs, the crew would offer the Dionaea a place within their ship and offering them a chance to learn more about the rest of the Universe, in exchange for allowing the crew to better study the creature and learn more about the planet. The Gestalt would nod it's "head", a notion it learned from watching the humans interact with each other, as it boarded the ship to pursue it's fascination for energy and move on to become a Tesla Engineer for the company of NanoTrasen, which the Dionaea later learned were employers for the crew.

What do you like about this character? I really like this character because it's something a bit different that I see in Dionaea. The joke is usually make them a Supermatter engineer due to them living off of the radiation emitting off of the engine, this Dionaea however has a different fascination due to it's home planet. The Tesla has recently become one of my favorite engines and I know I can make some wonderful moments involving the Tesla and crew.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?Around a 7/10. I have a hard time rating something such as this and feel others could rate it better than I can.

Notes:

After reading this, I love the background and the name you picked for your Diona, one question. What made your Diona go to work for NT, and chose it's tesla job, instead of becoming a scientist? Another question as well, why did the scientist come to study the plant, and did they keep tabs on the Dionaea living there?

After reading this, I love the background and the name you picked for your Diona, one question. What made your Diona go to work for NT, and chose it's tesla job, instead of becoming a scientist? Another question as well, why did the scientist come to study the plant, and did they keep tabs on the Dionaea living there?

Well for the Diona becoming an Engineer, that would be due to it’s fascination with electricity thanks to the storms on the planet. And as for why the scientist was there was to study storms and life that has survived on the planet. I just realized I forgot to add that into the backstory and apologize.

Well for the Diona becoming an Engineer, that would be due to it’s fascination with electricity thanks to the storms on the planet. And as for why the scientist was there was to study storms and life that has survived on the planet. I just realized I forgot to add that into the backstory and apologize.

I can't wait to read the new background and see what made them work for NT, and I can't wait to plus one this

Hello, [mention]Jpowell59[/mention] ! Neinbox is here.

First off, for all of you naysayers who say "lightning doesn't give off radiation!!", wrong! Dark lightning exists and we can imagine it's far more common on the planet and bathes the surface often enough to offer life in dark times. Just a cool science fact I thought everyone might like.

Now, I don't need to go through this one bit by bit as Sandvitch has already asked a few questions that you have since corrected, so this should be pretty simple and easy. I do have some small questions that should be pretty easy to answer, though. Was there other life on the planet that the Dionae could consume to grow faster? Did the scientist know what the Gestalt was? What did the Gestalt think of the crew, and what were their overall interactions with one another? Did they have to be educated on a few things such as "eating people is a no-no"? After living so long on a sapient-free planet, they'd have to go through civilization/cultural education. Did they do so, and also go through the educational process of becoming an Engine Technician? Another thing is how old they are, as you will have to chose an age to play them in game. What's also key is determining how long it was before they became an employee, how long they've been an employee for, and how they spent their pre-employment years as that will take into account things like education.

[mention]Neinbox[/mention] Thank you for replyint to my Application. I will make sure to get all your questions answered after work. I was mostly unsure how specific I needed to be and how much information to actually add but will make sure to get everything cleared up after I finish work and get home.

@Neinbox Thank you for replyint to my Application. I will make sure to get all your questions answered after work. I was mostly unsure how specific I needed to be and how much information to actually add but will make sure to get everything cleared up after I finish work and get home.

It's all good! If you can answer my questions, that should be it. Some is simple curiosity, some is a fact-check to make sure you have your character prepared for IC interactions, others are actual lore-checking.

Was there other life on the planet that the Dionae could consume to grow faster? Did the scientist know what the Gestalt was? What did the Gestalt think of the crew, and what were their overall interactions with one another? Did they have to be educated on a few things such as "eating people is a no-no"? After living so long on a sapient-free planet, they'd have to go through civilization/cultural education. Did they do so, and also go through the educational process of becoming an Engine Technician? Another thing is how old they are, as you will have to chose an age to play them in game. What's also key is determining how long it was before they became an employee, how long they've been an employee for, and how they spent their pre-employment years as that will take into account things like education.

Alright. For the first question. Life on the planet. There would be your usual plant life, trees, flowers, a few fruits, but the heavy storms made it more difficult for animals to live safely so only smaller bugs have been able to survive successfully. For the Scientist knowing what the Gestalt was, yes. They had a general idea of what a Dionaea was which is why the Scientist was willing to approach the creature, albeit cautiously. The Gestalt itself thought of the crew as strange organics, but given their sparking spacecraft they were more willing to learn about the crew. The initial interactions were a bit slow, but as the days went on, the crew began to appreciate the Gestalt's company and even showed the Gestalt how the electricity that it saw sparking off of the ship powered the ship and gave it "life". For the Dionaea's general education for how to properly act, the Scientist went through a few basics so the Gestalt could act a bit more properly around other sapient life, such as not eating sapient creatures and not taking DNA samples without their permission. The Gestalt was merged for around 40 years before the crew arrived, then spending the next 18 years getting a proper education as as citizen of the Republic of Biesel, finishing their education at the prestigious Hongsun Park Engineering Institute specializing in Tesla Engines before finally being employed by NanoTrasen.

Well, my curiosity has been sated. This character seems to be pretty solid with an original beginning, as well as a different take on an engineering Dionae. The contradicting dynamic between a slow species and a fast-striking orb of pure energy is a very interesting concept. But above all, the applicant's knowledge on Dionae has been proven as well as their intent to make certain they are representing the species correctly- and they have also proven that if they are uncertain of something of this strange species that they aren't afraid to come to me without hesitation with their questions. Dionae are different and can be difficult, but I do encourage experimentation!

Congratulations on your first whitelist.

Application Accepted.