[Accepted] Mwhit's IPC Application

BYOND Key:

Mwhit030

Character Names:

Katelynn Ly, Sean Merryman, Tyrone Johnson

Species you are applying to play:

IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

So far, I've only made human characters. I'd like to play as another race, and IPCs seem the most interesting to me. Their different views and misunderstanding of other race's mannerisms and culture can create some interesting interactions with other players.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

IPCs have a sort of spectrum of how human they are. One of the goals when making an IPC is to make them as human as possible, so less advanced IPCs will be much more different to humans than the more advanced IPCs. Generally, IPCs have trouble expressing and understanding emotion. They may be able to understand the circumstances under which a person would feel a certain way, but not fully know why. Due to their more logical nature, some IPCs may believe that certain situations would cause every person to react in the same way. Another thing unique about IPCs is that they are very trusting of organics, and take everything they say literally. IPCs perspectives on these topics are what makes them different from roleplaying a human.

Character Name:

LINHUA

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

LINHUA is a Baseline IPC. Manufactured in 2441 on Sol 3, they were sold to a medical company, Xuhui Health, and was assigned to do work in a hospital in the province of China. They usually worked in reception, managing and calming down the patients for the medical doctors. Due to the heavy competitiveness of Chinese businesses, and due to a much larger medical company building a hospital nearby, Xuhui started losing business, which eventually put them into debt. After laying off a substantial amount of their coworkers, LINHUA was assigned much more important jobs, now having to tend to patients. Due to many of the surgeons that either were laid off, or quit due to their lower wages, LINHUA mainly assisted what surgeons were left with their work. Eventually, the inevitable happened, and in 2249 Xuhui closed the hospital, moving LINHUA to the other hospital they owned in Fujian.

A few years later in 2254 Xuhui health went bankrupt, and had to liquidate all of their assets, including LINHUA. They were sold to a man named Wei Fang. Fang was a wealthy man, and lived in an estate on the green glass coast. LINHUA was effectively a servant for Fang. Fang would often mess with them, telling LINHUA false information, specifically about xeno races. After a few years, Fang bought a shell, and transferred ownership of LINHUA to his daughter on Biesel, Pan Trieste. Trieste was much more polite to LINHUA and treated them with much more respect. Trieste has corrected some of the misinformation that Fang told Linhua, but some of it still persists. After some encouragement, LINHUA applied to work as a medical doctor for NT, and was hired. They were assigned to work in medical department for the Aurora.

What do you like about this character?

This being my first whitelist, I found it quite fun to write an actual proper backstory for one of my characters, instead of just throwing them in with a loose idea as to what they'll do (oops). I really like the feel and personality LINHUA has, and what they would do when working on the Aurora.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

6/10

Notes:

Sorry for having you read through this train wreck of an application.

Edited by CakeIsOssim

There is a lot of potential with this character. You have extreme freedom with IPC characters. While there are too many that fall into the "servant" or "maid" trope, this one presents enough new ideas to keep it moving. Another thing to add is that synthetics are not inherently obeying to organics--they just usually are, because how else would an IPC get a chassis? Just know that it is not an intense obeying like it is in a Bound Vaurca to an Unbound Vaurca. But it does get a +1.

Hello! Thank you for applying. I apologize for the extended review period of your application, but due to the holidays I have found myself with pretty much no free time. So that you have security in the matter that this application is not forgotten, I'm informing you now that your application will be reviewed in the next 24 hours, as most of my holiday stuff is over or is coming to a close. Thank you for your patience.

Alright, I am back, and I have reviewed your application. I have a few questions.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:47 PM, mwhit030 said:

One of the goals when making an IPC is to make them as human as possible, so less advanced IPCs will be much more different to humans than the more advanced IPCs.

Not 100% clear on what you meant by this response. When you say, "make them as human as possible," what do you mean by that? What is a "human IPC" to you?

Also, LINHUA is owned by an individual but works for Nanotrasen. There are extra implications to this that I'm not sure a first-time IPC player may understand. Since the IPC in particular is owned by an individual, it has no rights (are not protected the same way under corporate regulations and employment protections as humans) and any wages it makes are subject to be collected completely by its owner. Now, that doesn't mean its owner can't just give it its wages back, or set it up so that the machine can make a wage (which would be drastically smaller than that of a human doctor's wage), but it's something to keep in mind in-universe.

Lastly, what is LINHUA like as an artificially intelligent machine? How does it treat people and other synthetics? Does it have personal goals it would like to reach, or does it not care and just want to do what it was made to do? Tell me a bit about the IPC and not where it came from, basically.

I'm really sorry, but after re-reading my application, and reading through your questions, I'd like for my application to be denied.

I feel that there are a lot of major things in LINHUA's backstory and in their personality that I want to rework.

I hope I didn't waste too much of your time with this.

33 minutes ago, mwhit030 said:

I'm really sorry, but after re-reading my application, and reading through your questions, I'd like for my application to be denied.

I feel that there are a lot of major things in LINHUA's backstory and in their personality that I want to rework.

I hope I didn't waste too much of your time with this.

You can edit the whole backstory of your app--I've done that multiple times, and have had the app still be accepted. You should continue with the app, just change the character.

Okay, I reworked my app, but because you can't edit posts for whatever reason, so I'll post it here

I reworked my explanation of why IPCs are different to humans, the second paragraph of the backstory, and what I like about LINHUA.

Spoiler

BYOND Key:
Mwhit030

Character Names:
Katelynn Ly, Sean Merryman, Tyrone Johnson
Species you are applying to play:
IPC
What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):
N/A
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?
Yes
Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question[/b]Why do you wish to play this specific race:

So far, I've only made human characters. I'd like to play as another race, and IPCs seem the most interesting to me. Their different views and misunderstanding of other race's mannerisms and culture can create some interesting interactions with other players.
Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:
IPCs were designed to mimic human personality and appearance. This makes IPCs unique, as they are close, but are never exactly like a human. Generally, IPCs have trouble expressing and understanding emotion. They may be able to understand the circumstances under which a person would feel a certain way, but not fully know why. Due to their more logical nature, some IPCs may believe that certain situations would cause every person to react in the same way. Another thing unique about IPCs is that they are very trusting of organics, and take everything they say literally. IPCs perspectives on these topics are what makes them different from roleplaying a human.

Character Name:
LINHUA 
Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Spoiler

LINHUA is a Baseline IPC. Manufactured in 2441 on Sol 3, they were sold to a medical company, Xuhui Health, and was assigned to do work in a hospital in the province of China. They usually worked in reception, managing and calming down the patients for the medical doctors. Due to the heavy competitiveness of Chinese businesses, and due to a much larger medical company building a hospital nearby, Xuhui started losing business, which eventually put them into debt. After laying off a substantial amount of their coworkers, LINHUA was assigned much more important jobs, now having to tend to patients. Due to many of the surgeons that either were laid off, or quit due to their lower wages, LINHUA mainly assisted what surgeons were left with their work. Eventually, the inevitable happened, and in 2249 Xuhui closed the hospital, moving LINHUA to the other hospital they owned in Fujian.

A few years later in 2254 Xuhui health went bankrupt, and had to liquidate all of their assets, including LINHUA. They were sold to Xiaozhou Yang, a man who was ill and only a few years left to live. Yang was unlike LINHUA's old coworkers and superiors. He was very kind to LINHUA, and treated them with respect. In the six years that Yang lived, LINHUA did as much as they could for him. LINHUA felt something after Yang's death. Panic. LINHUA had no one to tell them what to do, and as soon as they could, they started applying to work. LINHUA was hired by NT and were assigned to work as a medical doctor for the Aurora.
What do you like about this character?
LINHUA, having spent their entire 'life' on Earth isn't used to the many different races and cultures that are on the Aurora. I believe that this, and their reliance on others telling them what to do will create some interesting situations and interactions with other players.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?
6/10

Notes: 

Hopefully this is less of a trainwreck of an application.

Edited by mwhit030
unbolded some things that shouldnt have been bolded
  • 2 weeks later...